Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10947 times)

Description:

Offline maffoo

• Show all replies
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Quote from: persia;742059
@psxphill, tablets and desktops are both computers, one is declining in sales numbers, one is increasing in sales numbers.  Yeah, it could be coincidence, and the nay sayers could be right the two aren't related.  But more often than not if you have two similar things and one is going up and the other down there is a link...

I think the more likely explanation is that the vast majority of people have a PC that suits their needs - any PC built within the last few years is more than adequate for most people, so they are being replaced when they break rather than when a faster model comes along. The market for new PCs has shrunk, so they sell less.

Tablets, on the other hand, have only been on the market for a few years - there are a lot of people out there who would like a tablet but haven't got one yet so there is a bigger market for them, and they sell more as a result. Eventually most people with a need for a tablet will have one, they will be fast enough for their needs, and the market will shrink just as it has with PCs.

IMO, the traditional PC will be around for a long time - tablets complement PCs, but don't replace them. I use my Nexus 7 a lot, and it's far more convenient than my PC for quickly checking something on the internet, but if I want to do any "real" work I use my PC.