Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Linux is Not for You!  (Read 7294 times)

Description:

Offline alx

Re: Why Linux is Not for You!
« on: April 18, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »

I hate Windows, but I hate Linux and MacOS even more. So, what options does that leave me?

BeOS?

Errm... maybe AOS/MOS? :-)

Offline alx

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:21:13 PM »
AFAIK AmigaOS has some memory protection, but it can be disabled and not all apps will support it.  I don't know about MOS - I didn't think apps inside the A-Box were memory protected, but I could be wrong.  Both systems will eventually only have apps with memory protection (under ExecSG in AOS and in the Q-Box in MOS)

Offline alx

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 05:45:57 PM »
If you're going to be pedantic...

"Linux" is the kernel

GNU/Linux is a system with a Linux kernel, with most other services provided by the GNU project.  The worrying thing now is that you could show someone a GNU/Hurd system and they'd call it Linux!

Offline alx

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 10:43:42 AM »
I never could understand why I had to type in DF0: instead of A:

I actually prefer knowing what kind of device something is :-) Besides, windoze cannot even use assigns.

Offline alx

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 02:48:26 PM »
SUBST only assigns drive letters - you cannot subst to a word.

Even "un-user friendly" Linux with it's mountpoints organises system files and stuff better than windoze.

The Linux way - all libraries tidied away in /lib.  They all end with .so.0 or .so.1 etc for version numbers

The Amiga way - all libraries put in libs: assign, with the idiot-proof ".library" extention

The Windows way - libraries in c:\windows\system32 (or c:\winnt\system32 sometimes), in various subfolders, in program files etc... Mainly .DLL

"Idiot-proof" Windows has the least logical way of doing it.