Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first Mac! (A classic).  (Read 10396 times)

Description:

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
Re: My first Mac! (A classic).
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Quote from: tokyoracer;523001
Ok I have it now... Thought it may have been an 8000 series but its a 6000 (6100/60 to be precice)... Though I will hunt for upgrades (and yes I know now i've been had but I got it now...).
Straight away I have encounterd a problem which is rather simple and possibly retarded if I have forgotten something obvious. I have plugged it all in and switched it on, the Hard Disk sounds healthy, there is a sound from boot up but there is no picture on the monitor what-so-ever. The monitor powers up ok (or it seems to) with a green LED light. Also theres no lights that appear on the keyboard if I press the 'lock' keys.
Any help would be really apriciated.

P.s. Sorry I have no pictures, lost the cable for the digital camera but a new one is on it's way via fleaBay.

Quick guess, at work and haven't looked up any details on this model, but given mention of the framebuffer...  Checked inside to see if someone pulled all the RAM?  Most valuable part of the machine back when we things could be $100/MB.    Edit: Because IIRC most models could still 'bing' without the RAM (who knows how much money they spent on that feature?) ... and second guess would be to try the usual Command-Opt-P-R trick or whatever the "parameter RAM" reset is for that model.

Old Macs (and even PPC is old, now) are interesting as far as the Classic OS being... sufficiently different, but they're not all that fun, since they're all basically just a CPU hooked up to a framebuffer... very expensive pizza boxes, sorta... but almost everything was back then.

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »
Quote from: tokyoracer;523014
No there is RAM located in the 2 slots in the middle of the motherboard (both are used) and there is 2 slots on the left hand side of the motherboard (of which 1 is free).
As for the Command-Opt-P-R trick", sorry if im being a bit thick here but if thats a keyboard input then im not sure were them keys are.

Forgot all about the 'breaking glass' (no RAM/hardware fault) vs. 'happy ding' sound - again, how much did that add to the cost back when singing greeting cards cost $20? :)  That power toggle trick was a similar concept.  A little Googling confirms the battery is a replaceable lithium, so you won't have to worry about leaks but might want to find a replacement if it forces you to do this dance every time you want to boot it.

Now that you've proved it wasn't gutted, you probably want to see if you can find the Apple System Profiler somewhere on it and check whether it's bone stock or already has some sort of CPU upgrade.  Though that might be hard to miss on those models, if you've opened it to check the RAM.

Offline Floid

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:43 AM »
Quote from: recidivist;523116
You really want to get hold of  a later ,more standard model for ease of finding "kit";the  7200 was my first PowerMac but the 7500 or 7600 are better since they can  take more upgrading,and there are Beige G3s that should still be very cheap yet when stuffed with RAM,and a CPU upgrade are pretty powerful.And they will use your current keyboard,mouse and monitor.Plus you can network Macs easily and upgrading the OS to System 7.5.5 is free.I don't know how much shipping is to jolly ol England but perhaps a better PowerMac could find its way to you for the cost of shipping and packing

Some people forget that the older computer can still do everything it did when it was the neweset,latest,and greatest machine!Some old computers made by a company called Commodore  come to mind.

The  biggest stumbling block is that current websites often demand current versions of web browsers which demand current cpus and current OS----if not for that I would likely still be using my Mac IIci
 as it did everything I thought I wanted...especially since I wasn't concerned with  megapixel photos and full-screen streaming videos!(Actually  at 1.2 to 1.5 M DSL ,I still don't do  much video,but 14.4 dial-up  did surprisingly well in a TINY Quicktime window.Ahhhh,progress.)

It's worth noting that the early New World machines are pretty much cheap-to-free now (including all those discarded iMacs) and a bit less of a dog to cram OS X (and PowerPC flavors of Linux) onto.  Unless I'm unaware of a world of PPC software that doesn't run under OS8/OS9, those are probably the most versatile (and least-slow) ones to try to score.  If going that route, do keep track of whichever hardware was the cutoff for OS9 support, if the point is to poke around the classic OS.