Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pine 64 for just $15  (Read 3686 times)

Description:

Offline billt

• Show all replies
    • http://www.billtoner.net
Re: Pine 64 for just $15
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;800029
I really tried to think of real use for them, but I got nothing.

Is there any killer "app" for these boards, aside from games, media player etc.?

I'm working on a smarthome system project for university project this fall. I'm using an AMD Gizmo-2 board for a central server, but this Pine thing or Rpi would do just as well. The Gizmo-2 is really just an x64 PC on a very small board, running an embedded style of Linux (Lubuntu with an 'L'). has a fan on it, so wouldn't fit as nicely into something looking like a fancy thermostat as I'd like, Pine or Rpi would probably do better. This particular task is more than an Arduino can do, but I am using both Uno and Mega types of Arduinos. Maybe an Arduino Due could (Arm based) but I'd have to figure some other way for the small HDMI display I'm using, and Gizmo/Rpi and presumably this Pine all have HDMI. I wanted to do "something" with the Gizmo board for other reasons, which is why I chose it. I also could not find my Raspberry pi board, it's hiding since we moved. Pine sounds a bit overkill for that, as the Gizmo is, but is still a possibility.

This project gives me small touchscreen LCD "wall switch" controls to be light switches, and currently control standard AC line light bulbs and ceiling fans. The Linux node logs events, acts as another wall control, and as a gateway to internet for remote mobile things on your Android or such.

Is that not-game enough and not-media enough? But I'm not sure if it might not be not-etc. enough...

(I need to start pushing some local changes up to github, last day of Semester is 12/14 so that will happen RSN...)
https://github.com/amigabill/jhu_EN525.743
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:21:06 PM by billt »
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!