Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hey from Southern California!  (Read 4454 times)

Description:

Offline SportBikePilotTopic starter

• Show only replies by SportBikePilot
Hey from Southern California!
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:36:31 PM »
Name's Chris. Avid motorcyclist, ham radio operator and general electronics geek.

When I was 12 or so, I bought an Amiga 1000 from a guy off of a BBS. I think I paid about $25. No monitor, just the computer and the keyboard. The floppy drive was jammed, the RAM expansion in the front was missing the plastic cover. The floppy drive eject button was gone. It was yellow.

It was in bad shape. But I got it going and used the heck out of it. Unjammed the floppy drive. Never did find an eject button or RAM cover, but it didn't matter. I loved it just the same and just used the corner of a floppy to eject the disk that was in there. Had a parallel printer on it, and a modem. Got an external 3.5" drive, an external 5.25" drive, and had a great time doing a ton of stuff with only 512k RAM and no hard drive. I loved the fact I could tuck the keyboard in underneath it and keep the dust out :) I had disk after disk of .MOD files, and never ceased to be impressed by the quality of the audio it produced. Playing Lemmings on it was so much fun!

Some years later I loaned it to a "friend", who evidently misunderstood me, and when I asked for it back, he told me he'd sold it. :(

Anyway, I've toyed with the idea of getting back into the Amiga community, I found these forums and thought I'd get more serious about getting back into it.

I so loved my A1000. I was a fool to let it get out of my sight. Maybe someday I will find one!

Offline amigakit

Re: Hey from Southern California!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Wecome to our forum!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:22:33 AM »
The Amiga 1000 is a great machine. They can still be found for $300 - $400 working. You will have an easier time finding an A500, and they are more expandable. They are more powerful even though the numbering is lower, as they can easily access 1 MB of RAM, and the A1000 can only handle 512kb easily. (Of course expansions are available for both!)

I have managed to find five Amigas for reasonable prices in the past year. Never paid more than $350 for any of them, most well under $200.

I just picked up an Amiga 1000 last week at AmiWest and I am enjoying that. You can check with the guys at the S.A.C.C. Sacremento users group, as they often have Amiga's for sale.

Take a look at my YouTube Channel if you want to get excited again for the Amiga. I do a weekly series on Amiga hardware and software.

https://youtube.com/c/10minuteamigaretrocast

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:37:51 AM »
Outstanding! Thanks!

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 05:19:43 AM »
If you are in the Northridge area, we have our meeting this Saturday at the Panera Bread Restaurant.  Perhaps we can dig up an Amiga for you.  :)  For the details on our meeting and location, just click on the link below.

Writing from Hotel Flipper in Amsterdam, the Netherlands,
Robert Bernardo
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
Welcome!   :D

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
I'm down in North San Diego County. Wish I could make it!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:59:59 AM »
Welcome.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.