Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions  (Read 15310 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: Thinking of buying a Mac Mini for Morph OS - Questions
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;568232

1. Is there much of a difference in actual performace between the 1.25GHz andf 1.5GHz models when actually using Morph OS?

I don't think you can notice difference in MorphOS itself, but in very cpu intensive tasks it might help. Like watching some HD video which is on the limit. And the most important thing is the vmem amount as told.

4. Is there Joystick support for classic games? Again, what kinds are supported?

At least standard (I guess HID compatible?) joysticks work fine. I have Competition Pro USB joystick and it works in MorphOS native games, old Amiga games run directly under MorphOS (like Payback) and in UAE.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;568279
Off topic, but you'd probably find a 1.25 Ghz Emac cheaper and it would have similar functionality.

But Mac mini is small and cute, it won't take much desk space and it's easy to take with. I was happy to pay little more of that ;)

Offline pVC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;568359
My only resentment thus far is that my high quality videos and Youtube ALL play in slow motion, also I've noticed that some videos loose sync, where they do not on my, 1.6Ghz Netobook, 2.8 Ghz AMD system, or even my classic XBOX using XBOX Media Center.

HTML5 is much faster than Flash, as Piru said, but I'd recommend you to install GetVideo to get the best performance in video streaming. Videos are played with mplayer instead embedded in the browser, it uses much less cpu and you can even continue browsing on other pages instead of having to wait video on the same page! :)

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;568432
What are y'all using the ram disk for? I see it there but never thought to use it for anything.

I download files there before copying them to HD (SFS framgents too badly if you have simultaneus downloads or if I don't want to keep downloaded file anyway (like some crap videos etc you are mistaken to dl)).

I unpack program archives there for installing (useless to have them on HD if it has separate installer).

I give test run for unpacked games etc from ram: if they are worth to keep or not (useless copies to HD again if I only want to run it once and get rid off it after that).

I throw all kinds of temp/test files there (image/video/audio processing stages)... etc.. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:13:42 PM by pVC »