Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga, my lost toy  (Read 1676 times)

Description:

Offline yester64Topic starter

• Show only replies by yester64
Amiga, my lost toy
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:01:43 AM »
Hello everybody,
just want to say, that i am happy to join this forum.
Currently i am using a older notebook from dell, so no Amiga.
But i used to have two Amigas.
An A500 and A2000(with GVP 68030 Card). I used my Amigas mainly for my Mailbox and for gaming. Somehow i never got into coding.
I sold my Amigas around 94,95 and got a PC.
For me, everthing startet with the C64. I owned the C64G i believe, which looked like a C128D.
My first Amiga was the A500 for which i bought (1990)an accoustic coppler and was online with 300bps. Anybody remebers the problems you had to go online and you dropped something on the table? My coppler were there.
My favorite application was this nice editor called CygnusEd. I really wished it would be available on pc.
Well, so far from me.
If you have any questions, just write me.

Greetings
Joerg :-P

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: Amiga, my lost toy
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
Welcome to A.org!

How old is your "older notebook"? As long as it's not ancient, you should be able to run a flavour of UAE on it and get that Amiga feeling back!

- Ali

Offline bilko9070

• Show only replies by bilko9070
    • Http://www.retrogamingscoreboard.e7.to
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
Hello.  Not been here too long myself!
Have fun and always nice to see more amiga fans popping up!

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »
Welcome!   :-)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 04:57:50 PM »
welcome to a.org if you have anny quaestions we are happy to help you out

adonay :-D
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »
For me, everthing startet with the C64. I owned the C64G i believe, which looked like a C128D.

Nope.  That was a C64c - the C64G didn't have a keyboard and was strictly a cartridge-based game system.  For obvious reasons, it failed miserably.

My first Amiga was the A500 for which i bought (1990)an accoustic coppler

egads, man!  Accoustic Coupler?  1990 or 1970?  ;-)  Around 1990 you should have been upgrading to 9600 baud.  (The BBS were starting to boot the 1200 and 2400 baud users!)

My favorite application was this nice editor called CygnusEd. I really wished it would be available on pc.

Well, it's not, but if you're on Windows, check out Ultra Edit.  It's not related to CygnusEd, nor does it even look that much like it, but it gives that same feeling of "Thank freakin' God, it's a text editor that works!"  It also has nice syntax highlighting, hex edit mode, various text encoding conversions, etc...

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »

Ilwrath wrote:

Nope.  That was a C64c - the C64G didn't have a keyboard and was strictly a cartridge-based game system.  For obvious reasons, it failed miserably.

oops.. i wasn't that sure. But at least you know which one i am talking about.

My first Amiga was the A500 for which i bought (1990)an accoustic coppler

egads, man!  Accoustic Coupler?  1990 or 1970?  ;-)  Around 1990 you should have been upgrading to 9600 baud.  (The BBS were starting to boot the 1200 and 2400 baud users!)

No, you will laugh, but yes i really startet with a coppler because it was so cheap. A modem was freaking expensive at that time and i was only 19 (not enough money).

Well, it's not, but if you're on Windows, check out Ultra Edit.  It's not related to CygnusEd, nor does it even look that much like it, but it gives that same feeling of "Thank freakin' God, it's a text editor that works!"  It also has nice syntax highlighting, hex edit mode, various text encoding conversions, etc...

Well i am thinking to get me the pegasos board (or whole system) to run again Amiga software. But thanks for the tip.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »

InTheSand wrote:
Welcome to A.org!

How old is your "older notebook"? As long as it's not ancient, you should be able to run a flavour of UAE on it and get that Amiga feeling back!

- Ali

well, its an Dell Latitute C600 with 1Ghz P3. For today its a little slow, but alright for daily use.
UAE ....mm.. i have to try that out.
Thanks.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »
egads, man! Accoustic Coupler? 1990 or 1970?  Around 1990 you should have been upgrading to 9600 baud. (The BBS were starting to boot the 1200 and 2400 baud users!)

No, you will laugh, but yes i really startet with a coppler because it was so cheap. A modem was freaking expensive at that time and i was only 19 (not enough money).

Heh... Thinking about it, this may depend on what country you lived in at the time.  I was actually a couple years younger than 19 in 1990, but picked up the 9600 baud in early '91 from money I got from my lawn care and snow removal services for neighbors.  ;-)  I sold the old 2400 baud modem I had been using to a friend for $20, plus I made him order pizza that night, while I hooked him up with some BBS accounts on the locals. :lol:

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »

Ilwrath wrote:
egads, man! Accoustic Coupler? 1990 or 1970?  Around 1990 you should have been upgrading to 9600 baud. (The BBS were starting to boot the 1200 and 2400 baud users!)

Heh... Thinking about it, this may depend on what country you lived in at the time.  I was actually a couple years younger than 19 in 1990, but picked up the 9600 baud in early '91 from money I got from my lawn care and snow removal services for neighbors.  ;-)  I sold the old 2400 baud modem I had been using to a friend for $20, plus I made him order pizza that night, while I hooked him up with some BBS accounts on the locals. :lol:

It is so long ago that i don't remember everything correct. But that was in Germany and i bought the coppler to try it out. It was plain fun and it gave me the "hacker" feeling. I really called everywhere and my telephonebill, well, it was kind out of control.
Later i bought a 1200bps Modem (swiss manufactur) and after that a 2400bps modem (forgot the name). After that i got these expensive USR Courier modem which had an incredible speed of 14000bps.

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »

yester64 wrote:
well, its an Dell Latitute C600 with 1Ghz P3. For today its a little slow, but alright for daily use.
UAE ....mm.. i have to try that out.
Thanks.

That ought to be fine for UAE use - assuming you're running Windows on it, check out WinUAE.

- Ali

Offline Zero

• Show only replies by Zero
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 11:13:16 PM »
Welcome dude!
 :-)
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 06:07:42 AM »
Hey, thanks.
I am suprised to see so many people working with the Amiga still.
Do you really work with your machine? I just thought everybody sold their Amigas, like me. My worst decission i ever made.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 07:17:01 AM »
just thought everybody sold their Amigas

Well if we all were to sell our amigas and someone bought them there would still be amiga users left (the ones that bought them...

Adonay  :-P
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
It seems the laptop should be fine for UAE, but you may have one problem: you still need to get hold of a ROM file.  I think most of us here own classic amigas, and have copied our own ROMs for using with UAE.  You will need one of these to make UAE run.  However, if/when you get a ROM file, UAE is very easy to set up, and in my experience, runs really very well now.  Also, there is a LOT of free (not pirate, but actually free) software that you can grab online to run inside UAE.  There are also ready made workbenchs setup that you can download, all set up very nicely, ready to run.  It's actually a nice software experience for a change.  :-)
Good good study, day day up!