Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85122 times)

Description:

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Re: New Timberwolf screenshots!
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
Quote from: persia;535824
So it would appear that X is coming to OS 4.1, which may be how Netscape and Apache are coming, Hyperion are porting X, great move, it should provide a lot of open source software quickly.  Evolution, Open Office, the GIMP, Apache, maybe even MySQL all at once rather than one at a time.  It would be a brilliant move.

Except that it's been done already.  AmiCygnix is a port of the X-Server to AmigaOS 4.0 that has been around for years and includes some ports of Linux software to it.  I thought that at first until I saw the circuit board picture shown in Motorollin's previous post.  Also it's been said by Steven Solie (I think) and Hans-Joerg Frieden that it is a hardware-related project.  The drivers that have been written for OS 4 for use with RadeonHD graphics cards would be immediately obsolete if X-Server were getting ported to Amiga in a hardware accelerated way like Linux has.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Re: New Timberwolf screenshots!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:52 AM »
See the last line in Rogue's post #49 in this thread regarding X11 and x86.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Quote from: Boudicca;536099
wouldn't that be 33% of ot was a Xbox Xenon
Yeah, and it wouldn't come out to an even 25% each because all 3 of the PowerPC processors used in game systems support dual-threading on each core.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
The XCore chip that's used on the AmigaOne X1000 lists on DigiKey.com for $5.60 USD in about 600+ unit quantities.  Excellent bang-for-the-buck ratio!

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
The toolchain for XCore is based on LLVM (low-level virtual machine).  So brush up on your virtual instruction set at http://www.llvm.org/ !  That way you can write software that will work on either core!

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Well spotted, ShawnDude!

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
@AeroMan

My understanding is that the XCore chip sits in a sleep state and only wakes up for processing I/O and things that you would normally use interrupts to handle.

The CPU should be much more powerful.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Quote from: MskoDestny;536792
The PA6T from PA Semi also fits the description, but who knows how they would get their hands on it now.

I've heard that Texas Instruments was a partner to P.A. Semi before it got bought by Apple.  Maybe they've still got some production rights.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show all replies
Quote from: hazydave;537648
Now, of course, anyone who's got a religious rather than technical objection against something called "x86"... if they can find they don't hate it when they call it "x64", I say go for it. And while you're at it, stop being insane. The instruction set hasn't mattered since whenever it was in the 1990s that compilers just got better than people (if you want to say 99.9999% of the programmers out there, I'll concede there may be some joker in a cave somewhere who can code better than the compiler... not more accurately, not faster, but better. At least until I change from one x86 chip to another).

I think the choice of the XCore chip using the LLVM (Low-Level Virtual Machine) toolchain was a good transitional state.  Soon it may be possible to go cross-platform in the way that Java would have done early on if it hadn't sucked so bad at first.  And best of all, LLVM is funded by Apple, Google, and Adobe.

The one problem is that the supervisor-level stuff on a Kernal needs to be done in assembly rather than C.  Perhaps porting LLVM to AROS would be a better idea in the long run.