Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85127 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
How about a punched card reader too?

Quote from: Pyromania;536562
Floppy drive, LOL.

:)

Your right ZeBeeDee, more questions need to be answered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
eXactly, if you must use one of those horrid things at least do it in a modern way...

Quote from: Zac67;536582
OMG - noone has been using floppies for more than a decade. Please, let's spend no second thought on this as standard...

If you still need to hook up a disk, why not use the nifty Xena hardware? I'm sure someone will hack up a classic or PC style disk interface (in software) pretty quickly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
And paper tape readers!

Quote from: ZeBeeDee;536586
@ Hyperion ... just fit a 3.5" drive or I'm killing the kitty!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
If they can get the price into the Mac range or slightly higher they should do ok with this.  My decision point is around 1000 US$, then I'm in a quandary over this or a Mac tablet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Well, rumours are that there'll be a US$1000 Mac table introduced on the 27th....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
It's old and talked to death but the only way to be price-performace compatible is to go intel, otherwise you can't compete on cost.  Power PC has nothing that can compete in terms of raw computing power with the chips being turned out by Intel and AMD.  Apple realised that and switched.

If you have a spare billion US I suppose you could develop better faster chips, but you'd have to charge a million US a piece to recoup the investment....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Why does everyone talk about Motorola PPC?  The original AIM (Apple IBM Motorola) created the chip, it was based on IBM power technology.  Motorola spun off it's IC business to Freescale and sold some power architecture to AMCC.  The current Power.org companies are IBM, Freescale and AMCC...

But that aside, it's pretty much dead technology, used in Game consoles and Micro-controllers, and developed for those industries.  If a big player came along, the Power architecture could be developed to compete with Intel, but if Apple, who was part of the alliance that created it, wasn't big enough to force that kind of development, who would be?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Precisely, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, no more and no less...

Quote from: Nlandas;537389
Simple, few people want an 8088/286 or a 68000 based Mac. ;^) Ok, ok - not trying to start a flame war.

It's supply and demand - people are looking for old Amigas all the time so the market for old equipment is still there.

I'd love to have a well working A4000 but I've already bought 3 of them and had them all die on me within a few months. I don't have the soldering chops to repair them and I can't afford a foreign repair service. ;^(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
A lot of Amiga users live in a strange alternate universe where the last fifteen years in computers never took place.  A niche product is ok, but you have to have a niche in mind, not "you tell us what it can do, we don't have a clue..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
I hear it harnesses the power of the X-Men, or Xylophones or Xerxes, not sure which...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Well I suspect that the 2010 iPhone, the 3G Suppa Duppa, or what ever they decide to call it, will have a >1 GHz processor and sell for less than the X1000.  

Why would I spend premium money on crude petroleum?  How do you sell a computer that's "less powerful than a netbook, but costs more than a dual quad core?  One without memory protection and simple security?  What does this X chip give you anyway?  A small processor that has it's own IO that will blow up the whole overpriced motherboard if you get the voltages the wrong way round.  Emulation?  Of what?  Virtually all emulation of classic computers will be faster and more accurate on a simple core2duo.

Somebody explain what a low powered embedded system can do for me?  Why would I want one?  What can it do better than a regular desktop PC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
X1000 isn't an Amiga, Hyperion don't have a license for that brand.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Here's the new X1000 processor:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues
« Reply #27 from previous page: January 28, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »
Read the agreement, Amiga Inc agreed to give Hyperion a license to the AmigaOS name as well as the Boingball.  They also agreed not to go into competition with an alternate AmigaOS, and Hyperion agreed that Amiga Anywhere wasn't competition.  Their is no mention of hardware and Amiga Inc granted no license to the name Amiga.  It would be quite possible for Amiga Inc to produce an Amiga computer that ran MS Windows or OS X or Linux or Haiku, they could I suppose event produce machines that ran Hyperion's Amiga OS.  The agreement was software, specifically the OS part.

Personally I'd like to see an Amiga that ran Haiku (partially because you could likely dual boot AROS on it and partially because Haiku is a pretty neat OS).

Quote from: Hell Labs;540380
Who told you? Hyperion have a perpetual, free, worldwide licence to pretty much anything amiga. Can't get mugh more "Amiga" than that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]