Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 85070 times)

Description:

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
Re: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues
« Reply #599 from previous page: January 17, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Quote from: dammy;538723
I'll bite,

I bet you do.;)

I get the impression there is some confusion that there is some sort of hardware race to catch up with.

X86 does what X86 does, there is no obligation that PPC must follow or even lead. Why does it have to be more that 1mhz / a gadzillion terrafloppies or even capable of playing anything remotely close to the Assassins Credit Card ?

The imagination and application of technology drives change not the other way round. Computer Music only came into existence because of the interference cause by the computer electronics.

Whether or not X1000 is the best thing since sliced bread depends on the user and it doesn't even need a fighting chance at out flopping the x86, the Iphone proves that and it wasn't cheap either.

Stop concentrating on the what x86 can do and imagine what the x1000 could do. Or as Bruce Lee said "Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory!"

;)
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Quote from: Boudicca;538727
I get the impression there is some confusion that there is some sort of hardware race to catch up with.

X86 does what X86 does, there is no obligation that PPC must follow or even lead. Why does it have to be more that 1mhz / a gadzillion terrafloppies or even capable of playing anything remotely close to the Assassins Credit Card ?

The imagination and application of technology drives change not the other way round. Computer Music only came into existence because of the interference cause by the computer electronics.

Whether or not X1000 is the best thing since sliced bread depends on the user and it doesn't even need a fighting chance at out flopping the x86, the Iphone proves that and it wasn't cheap either.

Stop concentrating on the what x86 can do and imagine what the x1000 could do. Or as Bruce Lee said "Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory!"

;)

Exactly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:02:25 PM by Zac67 »

Offline Boudicca

Quote from: leszeka33;538716

You should accept the fact that the Amiga still represents the level of the middle pc available in a shop.

Accept what ? Whats a Middle PC is it less that a top one, or better than a small one ? All do email rather well, browsing the net a breeze and ironically the small one, I save 20 quid a month on electricity so it pays for itself rather than having a kick ass pc with kilowatt psu processing nothing most of the time..

If people are into raw processing power then buy 4 socket Quad core Xeons, don't even waste your time with a shop pc, raw slowness and its no bigger than a laptop and you can get 10 of em in the space of a large tower.

Horses for Courses, the X1000 won't be a competitor, nor is the Popcorn hour, Sky HD receiver, nor my tv or Iphone yet suprisingly they do things the middle pc doesn't.....ironic that.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Quote from: Boudicca;538727
I bet you do.;)

;)

So your saying AI/Hyperion have completely given up on being anything remotely competitive in price and performance to the alternatives? The only justification to spending something that will most likely be outlandishly expensive is to run one of the three Amiga-like OSs on?  Yes, that does sounds like they have raised the white flag and have surrendered to their fate in the tar pool.  :rolleyes:
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

Quote from: Boudicca;538733
Accept what ? Whats a Middle PC is it less that a top one, or better than a small one ? All do email rather well, browsing the net a breeze and ironically the small one, I save 20 quid a month on electricity so it pays for itself rather than having a kick ass pc with kilowatt psu processing nothing most of the time..

Problem is Atom based, extremely cheap, PCs have more CPU power and also saves on power. Of course, if you really want highier end gfx, you can spend huge sums of money, probably equal to X1000 pricing, and buy gaming laptop.

If people are into raw processing power then buy 4 socket Quad core Xeons, don't even waste your time with a shop pc, raw slowness and its no bigger than a laptop and you can get 10 of em in the space of a large tower.

Horses for Courses, the X1000 won't be a competitor, nor is the Popcorn hour, Sky HD receiver, nor my tv or Iphone yet suprisingly they do things the middle pc doesn't.....ironic that.

Except the above is not trying to pass itself off as a computer either.
Dammy

Offline Boudicca

Quote from: dammy;538741
So your saying AI/Hyperion have completely given up on being anything remotely competitive in price and performance to the alternatives? The only justification to spending something that will most likely be outlandishly expensive is to run one of the three Amiga-like OSs on?  Yes, that does sounds like they have raised the white flag and have surrendered to their fate in the tar pool.  :rolleyes:

No...Is there a need to be competitive, whats the drive force behind being competitive ? You are judging on the basis of a competition that has no drive to compete ? Are we saying AROS is a competitor ? UAE ?  Linux / Windblows. ? Whem and Wheres the competition going to start, what the criteria for success ?

What do you want to achieve should be the driving force behind buying the X1000 or not, not whether the competition has merit ?

Offline Boudicca

Quote from: dammy;538744
Problem is Atom based, extremely cheap, PCs have more CPU power and also saves on power. Of course, if you really want highier end gfx, you can spend huge sums of money, probably equal to X1000 pricing, and buy gaming laptop.

Except the above is not trying to pass itself off as a computer either.

Yes it does. In the blurb for a blade it says it runs all the latest x86 software...you mean its not in the same form factor as a PC. Ah.............this is where I really cannot abide narrow views. I have 200 staff working daily on a computer that doesn't exist, it software...vmware...the user doesn't know its a blade the user doesn't care if it is blade. They thinks the PC thats sat in front of them is running the software......nope it doesn't the blade does.

Maybe Hyperion shouldn't have shown a picture of a motherboard, thats their mistake....it should have been a Green Orb with try me written on it.  If it came the size of a postage stamp with a multitude of expansion connectors you wouldn't have compared it such but because its the size of an atx form factor for a tooling and production reasons (not for your benefit), it has to be compared to the same form factor equivelent a PC and a Mac, wow.....yea of little Atx faith.

I really don't care what factor it comes in, its nice that its ATX because I do have an awful lot of kit round here (mostly pc) that may or may not work with it but if it had come looking like a Mini-Mig would you have compared it to that or a i7 gaming rig ?

Nuff said.

Offline dammy

Quote from: Boudicca;538745
No...Is there a need to be competitive, whats the drive force behind being competitive ? You are judging on the basis of a competition that has no drive to compete ? Are we saying AROS is a competitor ? UAE ?  Linux / Windblows. ? Whem and Wheres the competition going to start, what the criteria for success ?

What do you want to achieve should be the driving force behind buying the X1000 or not, not whether the competition has merit ?

Any hardware and OS that a consumer can chose over the X1000 is competition.  With that in mind, there is no reason for outside the current OS4 community to buy a X1000.  Even within the OS4 community, there is going to be a small portion who can afford to buy it which means the scale of economy is dooming A-EON's chances of financial success.  

Definition of success is making a good long term ROI.  You could go short term ROI, but I don't think that is what AI/Hyperion/A-EON are trying to build on.
Dammy

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
You never know, they could be using surplus components from other companies that don't need or want them any more...
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline dammy

Quote from: Boudicca;538748
Yes it does. In the blurb for a blade it says it runs all the latest x86 software...you mean its not in the same form factor as a PC. Ah.............this is where I really cannot abide narrow views. I have 200 staff working daily on a computer that doesn't exist, it software...vmware...the user doesn't know its a blade the user doesn't care if it is blade. They thinks the PC thats sat in front of them is running the software......nope it doesn't the blade does.

Maybe Hyperion shouldn't have shown a picture of a motherboard, thats their mistake....it should have been a Green Orb with try me written on it.  If it came the size of a postage stamp with a multitude of expansion connectors you wouldn't have compared it such but because its the size of an atx form factor for a tooling and production reasons (not for your benefit), it has to be compared to the same form factor equivelent a PC and a Mac, wow.....yea of little Atx faith.

I really don't care what factor it comes in, its nice that its ATX because I do have an awful lot of kit round here (mostly pc) that may or may not work with it but if it had come looking like a Mini-Mig would you have compared it to that or a i7 gaming rig ?

Nuff said.

Except of course, they are not trying to pass the X1000 off as a microwave oven, they are trying to tell us this is the next generation Amiga.  I should be able to buy a ARM based netbook that has more horsepower for a fraction of the X1000's costs by the tim the X1000 is released.  The only thing that is up in the air, is when smartphones will come faster then the X1000.

Explain to me why anyone should buy a X1000 over say a comparable  netbook, either ARM or x86?  Or a  laptop that already beats the X1000, your choice.
Dammy

Offline Boudicca

Quote from: dammy;538758
Except of course, they are not trying to pass the X1000 off as a microwave oven, they are trying to tell us this is the next generation Amiga.  I should be able to buy a ARM based netbook that has more horsepower for a fraction of the X1000's costs by the tim the X1000 is released.  The only thing that is up in the air, is when smartphones will come faster then the X1000.

Explain to me why anyone should buy a X1000 over say a comparable  netbook, either ARM or x86?  Or a  laptop that already beats the X1000, your choice.

Whats this fascination with raw horsepower its not a car. or is it ? Whats the target market for a netbook or smartphone, what target application do they need raw horsepower for. ? I have lower power low speed cpu's pc here to answer you. ? I don't write on the forum with anything else more powerful, those devices have other jobs to do. My StudioHybrid Media Center is connected to the tv to watch bluray/HD content ( I don't play games on it thats the xbox360's job), for general media I have a popcorn hour. There's a couple of linux boxes (routing and firewalls) and a vmware box for webhosting and other webby stuff where it gets left on all day. Most of the computers round here are on Wol so they don't suck power 24/7. I have a couple of dev kits wireup for experimental stuff and the new Amiga will sit nicely in that bracket for non-intel dev work and general mucking about. what do you want the X1000 to do will decide what its worth, don't u think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:25:19 PM by Boudicca »

Offline Mangar

• Show only replies by Mangar
Why use linux when I can do it all on windows?
Why use windows when I can do it all on Linux?
Why use either when I can do it all on MacOS?

It's all up to personal preference. I'll choose to use AmigaOS when the X1000 comes out because I believe in the OS. Never liked X86 or Apple. At least I'll have a system I like again. Something fun. I don't care if a 1000 people have one or a million. I know I will and I'll be happy.
Waiting for X1000

Offline dammy

Quote from: Boudicca;538762
Whats this fascination with raw horsepower its not a car. or is it ? Whats the target market for a netbook or smartphone, what target application do they need raw horsepower for. ? I have lower power low speed cpu's pc here to answer you. ? I don't write on the forum with anything else more powerful, those devices have other jobs to do. My StudioHybrid Media Center is connected to the tv to watch bluray/HD content ( I don't play games on it thats the xbox360's job), for general media I have a popcorn hour. There's a couple of linux boxes (routing and firewalls) and a vmware box for webhosting and other webby stuff where it gets left on all day. Most of the computers round here are on Wol so they don't suck power 24/7. I have a couple of dev kits wireup for experimental stuff and the new Amiga will sit nicely in that bracket for non-intel dev work and general mucking about. what do you want the X1000 to do will decide what its worth, don't u think?

Then why not stick with a SAM440 if that is all that it takes?
Dammy

Offline dammy

Quote from: Mangar;538773
Why use linux when I can do it all on windows?
Why use windows when I can do it all on Linux?
Why use either when I can do it all on MacOS?

It's all up to personal preference. I'll choose to use AmigaOS when the X1000 comes out because I believe in the OS. Never liked X86 or Apple. At least I'll have a system I like again. Something fun. I don't care if a 1000 people have one or a million. I know I will and I'll be happy.

That is my point, who else but the OS4 community is going to buy it?  The higher the price, the smaller percentage of the OS4 community can/will buy it.
Dammy

Offline Boudicca

Quote from: dammy;538793
That is my point, who else but the OS4 community is going to buy it?  The higher the price, the smaller percentage of the OS4 community can/will buy it.

yes your right on that point, not until the OS4 Community write something worth having, will OS4 grow but Linux didn't have many folk either until LAMP wiped its feet.  MacOS didn't get going until DTP came through the door. Windows didn't get going until Word went GUI and DOS didn't get going until Wordstar, DB2 and Supercalc walked along. Amiga didn't get going until the graphics/sound were realised and the Lemmings dived off cliffs. The list goes on. CP/M didn't get going until MultiCalc......

A new hardware means a chance for the Killer app to be found again. Follow the other hardware and you'll be following with hand me down ported software.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:06:42 PM by Boudicca »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Quote from: Boudicca;538795
yes your right on that point, not until the OS4 Community write something worth having, will OS4 grow but Linux didn't have many folk either until LAMP wiped its feet.  MacOS didn't get going until DTP came through the door. Windows didn't get going until Word went GUI and DOS didn't get going until Wordstar, DB2 and Supercalc walked along. Amiga didn't get going until the graphics/sound were realised and the Lemmings dived off cliffs. The list goes on. CP/M didn't get going until MultiCalc......

It's been about six years. Nothing is coming.