Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scandoubler in an A4000?  (Read 719 times)

Description:

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Scandoubler in an A4000?
« on: October 17, 2003, 10:06:19 AM »
Hi,
I still haven't picked up my A4000, but I was wondering - is it worth using a scandoubler in one...as I was under the impression that the AGA can scan double to an extent?

Cheers
I like Amigas

Offline BADHead

• Show only replies by BADHead
Re: Scandoubler in an A4000?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 10:25:21 AM »
my external scandoubler F/F has just went (the second one) and thoughts of getting rid of my A1200 started.It got fairly warm and after while the screen would go blank oh well i got two years use out of it.I will be buying a diffrent type this time ? i think some
of the internal scandoublers F/F suffer heat probs aswell
Crazy on a ship of fools  :whack:

Offline Munchkin

• Show only replies by Munchkin
    • http://www.sjolin.eu
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 12:16:37 PM »

I still haven't picked up my A4000, but I was wondering - is it worth using a scandoubler in one...as I was under the impression that the AGA can scan double to an extent?

I cannot say that AGA scandoubles. I tried using a vga-monitor on my A4k for a while and that really didn't make me any happier than the 1084. You have that odd screenmode that looks quite well without a scandoubler but that screenmode is sooooo slow that you don't want to use it. Using a scandoubler makes things a lot easier but you still need a flickerfixer as well. So, I would recommend that you get a gfx-card like a Cybervision 64 or 64/3D, a Picasso II or IV. I dont think its that impossible to get a used one for a decent price. Considering the difference I think it's worth the extra money and the difference in price from a scandoubler/flickerfixer up to a gfx-card is definately not that much.

The only Amiga to my knowledge that doesn't need extra hardware to work well on a modern monitor is an A3000 that has a built-in flickerfixer, no AGA-machine has that.

Offline manicx

• Show only replies by manicx
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 01:33:28 PM »
I have a internal scandoubler that plugs into the zorro slot. It is the Arxon scandoubler and only way to find one is to look in eBay. It's great though.

The place to be if you love Kick Off 2