Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire 600 boards for the Amiga 600 on the way  (Read 8126 times)

Description:

Offline mikej

• Show all replies
    • http://www.fpgaarcade.com
Re: Vampire 600 boards on the way
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
Quote from: matthey;747167
They will be in the hands of developers. It's not much different to many of the fpgaArcade boards going to developers and testers. The time and cost to solder and test the boards is disappointing. It seems that the Vampire and fpgaArcade are both having problems in this regard.

Speaking about the FPGAArcade Replay board ...
While this is true - the first 50 of the production batch I had to hand solder all the connectors (and it takes ages), I'm past that now. The next batch of 100 game fully assembled, but had some component issues which needed to be replaced.
Now the test rigs and software are set up they can test at the factory, so the next 200 will arrive ready to ship. Well, that's the theory at least..
/MikeJ

Offline mikej

• Show all replies
    • http://www.fpgaarcade.com
Re: Vampire 600 boards for the Amiga 600 on the way
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »
Quote from: majsta;747229
@Iggylike I said before that soldering technique is so controversial and I suspected that people will start talking about that on forums. But, for the devices that are not made for human soldering is is the only fast and safe way.

What would worry me is the fact no anti-static precautions are being taken.
Masking tape! At least get an anti-static mat.

The more normal way to do prototype production is to get a stencil made (30-40 USD laser cut). You can actually get standard stencils for tqfps etc.

Squeeze solder paste through, pop the chip on and heat with a reflow gun.
You get perfect results and no bent pins.
/MikeJ