Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who uses UAE on a notebook?  (Read 1623 times)

Description:

Offline nagaflasTopic starter

• Show only replies by nagaflas
    • http://www.twitter.com/shaun_fossett/
Who uses UAE on a notebook?
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:24:58 AM »
I have to admit, one of the main reasons I recently bought a PC laptop is so that I can have a portable Amiga OS. I'm setting up WinUAE as I type.

How many here use WinUAE (or MaxUAE, etc) on a portable machine?

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Who uses UAE on a notebook?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:18:36 AM »
I tried, but it ate my battery too quick.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 01:21:06 AM »
What was your setup? I've got a Compaq Presario 2200 series with a Celeron M processor, running WinUAE with WB 3.1.

How long did your cells last (starting from a full charge)?

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 07:12:51 PM »

nagaflas wrote:
What was your setup? I've got a Compaq Presario 2200 series with a Celeron M processor, running WinUAE with WB 3.1.

How long did your cells last (starting from a full charge)?

I run UAE on a Athlon64 3200+ laptop with a lithium battery, and with normal use I get about 3 hours battery life.  If I use UAE continously without JIT or UAEGFX:P96 (ie using games) i get about 1.5 hours battery.  Using JIT, P96,AHI, i get about 2.5 hrs.

Online amigakit

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »

I can believe this- when using WinUAE/AmigaForever the PC's notebook fan comes on more often- the PC resources are obviously pushed when trying to be an Amiga :-)
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »

amigakit wrote:

I can believe this- when using WinUAE/AmigaForever the PC's notebook fan comes on more often- the PC resources are obviously pushed when trying to be an Amiga :-)

When the JIT is used, the CPU doesn't have to work as hard so the battery gets hammered less.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:22:27 AM »
I have had a Fujitsu S6110 (1.2GHz Pentium III-M, 768M RAM, 60G HD, etc.) for a few years now.  When it was newer I could get 4 hours out of the battery by turning off things like sound, NIC and wifi, dimming the disply, and not using the optical drive.  This was always enough to get through a 2 hour CS class + 1 hour lab with various note taking and a few compiles during lab.  With UAE I'd get less than half of that.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 04:36:45 AM »
I run Amiga Forever/UAE on my Toshiba M200 Tablet.  It works great in lapto pmpde, but not in tablet mode.  The stylus does not track like a mouse, so confuses the Amiga.

Offline RedskullDC

• Show only replies by RedskullDC
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »

nagaflas wrote:
snip..
How many here use WinUAE (or MaxUAE, etc) on a portable machine?

I use WinUAE on my Dell Inspiron 4000.

Even though it is only a 750MHz P3,WinUAE still
rips along well over the speed of my 66MHz 060 A4000.

Red

Redskull @ Digital Corruption
A500, 4000/060-75MHz
WinUAE on Windows7-X64Ult
Minimig DE1
-------------------------

Offline BenT

• Show only replies by BenT
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 10:32:59 AM »
I have winuae installed on two notebooks. One new Compaq and an old IBM and it works pretty good. There is some trouble reading cd's on the dvd-rw in the Compaq though.
Don't use winuae that much though. I prefer real Amigas.

Bent

Offline BenT

• Show only replies by BenT
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »
I have winuae installed on two notebooks. One new Compaq and an old IBM and it works pretty good. There is some trouble reading cd's on the dvd-rw in the Compaq though.
Don't use winuae that much though. I prefer real Amigas.

Bent

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 08:11:21 PM »
After using WinUAE on my notebook for about two months, I have realized that since it takes over 100% of the CPU, battery time IS greatly hindered. I get about an hour with UAE, and about 4 with Windows.

But it's still cool when I'm out on campus and people see me using AWeb on my University's Wifi network and they ask me, "What operating system is that?"

Offline TedStriker

• Show only replies by TedStriker
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 06:14:28 PM »
Hi there.  This is my 1st time, so here goes!  I have a problem based around playing my amiga cd32 444 disk on my laptop.  I know i need something like winuae, so i d/loaded v1.0 but aint got a clue how to use it.  My laptop specs are : p4m 2.8, 512 ram, radeon 9700 128mb, dvd rw and 15.4 screen.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as all i have is my 444 disk. :-?

Offline amyren

• Show only replies by amyren
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »
For starters, read all the docs for WinUAE carefully, then I think you will get an idea what its all about.

WinUAE have developed quite a bit, and the later  versions have different interface that the first GUI.
I guess for a newbie it may less confusing to try to configure an version like 0.8.x or something first, cause there are less options.

But the basic parts in the configs is the ROM part.
You will need a file that contains a copy of an Amiga kickstart ROM in order to get the emulator running.
If you have this you can boot the emulator, and without disks you will see the familar picture asking for Amiga Workbench disk.

The next step will be to put a disk in the drive. Since the PC's disk drive is not amiga compatible, you will have to use a .adf or -adz disk file.
This is an Amiga disk that is copied into a single file in the adf format (ADF - Amiga Disk File) adz is simply a compressed version of the file.

You can use harddrive to boot as well, but I think you will need to learn how to use disks first:)

Press the About tab in the WinUAE properties window, and you will see several links to useful resources.
At Cloanto you will be able to legally buy the ROMs needed, if you dont have an amiga and can do this yourself.
At Back2Roots you can download loads of amiga games in adf-fomat to use in the emulator.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 11:42:37 PM »
i've got a Dell ("Dude!") latitude, p4 and am running WinUAE with OS3.9 (half gig of memory)

I generally have my system plugged in. but having a portable amiga is absolutly f'ing great!
sure windows2000 sometimes strains under the weight, but hey! I've got a portable amiga!

:banana:

i've been using it a couple of years and it works fairly well. i'd still love a totally real amiga and all that, but this is fine for now.

i'm keeping my eye on AROS and maybe someday OS4 will become portable. who knows?
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial