Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: KickWork  (Read 23747 times)

Description:

Offline hardlink

• Show all replies
Re: KickWork
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:43:24 PM »

yorgle wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else out there has ever used the "KickWork" disk?

Yes, I have. KickWork was a critical item in using an A1000 as an embedded controller, where there was no human to swap out the KS for the WB disk. There was a hard disk, but it was non-autoboot, so I think the drivers had to go in the 'Expansion' drawer of the WB section of the disk. It worked great for over 13 years; at boot, the A1000 saw the floppy as KS, then magically saw the same floppy as WB, and then after WB loaded the startup-sequence handed things over to the hard disk.

I am thinking about putting ethernet software on a KickWork and running my A1000 (with an ethernet board on an expansion) as a 'diskless' network workstation :)

Offline hardlink

• Show all replies
Re: KickWork
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »

koaftder wrote:
Awesome work Piru.

Agreed!

What an amazing thread! First, that Piru can grok out the KickWork method from over 20 years ago. I thought KickWork was Amiga Nostalgia - then, the real author (I hope) shows up! Amd Amig-o Business Computers is still in business, sans Amig-a. They used to offer some hardware products - we almost bought a, if I rembember, GPIB controller Zorro card off them once. Of course, we did but KickWork from them - and I'm looking for it right now ...