Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to get started developing on an A600 in assembler  (Read 2851 times)

Description:

Offline yeekingTopic starter

• Show only replies by yeeking
How to get started developing on an A600 in assembler
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »
Hello Amiga Forum!

I want to get started developing on my A600 in assembler for some retro register banging action. Ideally I'd like to do everything on the real machine. So... I've grabbed some books that look like they have the right technical info, but I need some software ... a text editor and a compiler, I suppose ... I've basically got nothing on the machine and no disks at the moment after I left my a500 and a1200 + disks outside in a box a few years back so they could find a new home. I might have workbench knocking about somewhere, and a copy of paradroid 90 that I held onto, ;) but that's it. So where can I get some software? Can I order it from somewhere? Can I get some ADFs on my Linux box and somehow write them to floppies? So yeah, I haven't got a clue ...

cheers

Matthew

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: How to get started developing on an A600 in assembler
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
Thread moved from news section.

And. welcome aboard :D

On the commercial asm development side, DevPac was a environment, but I suspect you'll get on fine with phxass, which has the advantage of being free.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:00:39 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
Quote from: yeeking;570204
Hello Amiga Forum!

I want to get started developing on my A600 in assembler for some retro register banging action. Ideally I'd like to do everything on the real machine. So... I've grabbed some books that look like they have the right technical info, but I need some software ... a text editor and a compiler, I suppose ... I've basically got nothing on the machine and no disks at the moment after I left my a500 and a1200 + disks outside in a box a few years back so they could find a new home. I might have workbench knocking about somewhere, and a copy of paradroid 90 that I held onto, ;) but that's it. So where can I get some software? Can I order it from somewhere? Can I get some ADFs on my Linux box and somehow write them to floppies? So yeah, I haven't got a clue ...

cheers

Matthew

if you can find adf's, there's the easy adf kit from amiga kit, that'll make it super easy. Copy the adf to a compact flash card, plug into a PCMCIA adapter and write to disk

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:35:34 AM »
Back many years ago when I was trying to get going with Assembly language on the Amiga, I worked my way through the  Amiga Machine Language book by Abacus. I didn't use the companion disk and while it took me longer to work through the exercises, I'm sure that I learned more along the way.

Maybe this material over on DLH's site might be of some help...

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/amiga/books/abacus.htm

I gravitated towards using AssemPro by Databecker but I seem to remember many people also liked using ASM-ONE. I'm sure you can find these if you look around.

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
What I was using
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »
I used a program called Profimat from a German company to code 68k assembly on Kickstart 1.2. Most people however seemed to use seka ord devpac at that time. Profimat did include an editor and debugger. The disk was bootable and it came with a 70 pages manual that brought you up to speed.

Maybe you are completely happy if you get a classic commercial Assembler from eBay? There also were some freely distributable assemblers on the fish disks, but I can't remember details.

Offline yaqube

• Show only replies by yaqube
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
Quote from: yeeking;570204
I need some software ... a text editor and a compiler, I suppose ...

I've been using ASM-One for many years. It's an integrated environment (editor+assembler+linker+debugger/monitor) and it's freeware. IMHO it's worth trying.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
Quote from: yaqube;570257
I've been using ASM-One for many years. It's an integrated environment (editor+assembler+linker+debugger/monitor) and it's freeware. IMHO it's worth trying.

I second that suggestion. ASM-One is what I used to use. It has a bit of a learning curve compared to nice user friendly "modern" IDE's, but once you learn the keyboard commands etc. it's very nice.

Offline SKAN

• Show only replies by SKAN
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
ASM-One. Period. ;)
[...emulation is for sissies...]

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
Quote from: yaqube;570257

Quote from: runequester;570209
if you can find adf's, there's the easy adf kit from amiga kit, that'll make it super easy. Copy the adf to a compact flash card, plug into a PCMCIA adapter and write to disk

Thanks for sharing your wisdom everyone.

Ok - I have obtained an ADZ of a tools disk containing ASM-one, which I assume is legal since its freeware... I've unpacked it with gzip on the Linux box and now I have a file which I assume is an ADF. So where can I get a PCMCIA-CF adaptor for the A600? Do I need to hunt around on ebay or is it something I can buy new?

Thanks for your help,

Matthew

Offline yaqube

• Show only replies by yaqube
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Quote from: yeeking;570271
I have obtained an ADZ of a tools disk containing ASM-one, which I assume is legal since its freeware...

The ASM-One can be downloaded directly from the TFA homepage.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Quote from: yeeking;570271
Thanks for sharing your wisdom everyone.

Ok - I have obtained an ADZ of a tools disk containing ASM-one, which I assume is legal since its freeware... I've unpacked it with gzip on the Linux box and now I have a file which I assume is an ADF. So where can I get a PCMCIA-CF adaptor for the A600? Do I need to hunt around on ebay or is it something I can buy new?

Thanks for your help,

Matthew

Buy EasyADF from Amigakit.com for 16€ :)

edit: or buy an 44pin to CF adapter and use as harddrive, and a cf reader on you pc, then you can boot your enitre workbench in winUAE.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:24:56 PM by som99 »

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
With ASM-One, the manuals I have and one of those EasyADF kits, it looks like I'm in business. Well, once I get some Workbench disks... I'm planning to work on some music generating software after getting fed up of working with all these high level languages like SuperCollider, PD, Java and so on. I used Octamed 6 on an A1200 a lot a few years back (that's the other disk I still have, apart from Paradroid 90 and R-Type) but I want to see what I can get out of the Paula chip at the register level. So... I'll post anything I come up with -  code etc back here once I get started on the project later this year. Now really regretting putting out my CD32, A1200 and A500 for the pigeons (needed the space!). Still - at least the A600 is small.

So thanks again for your help.

- matthew

Offline psxphill

Re: What I was using
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;570253
Most people however seemed to use seka ord devpac at that time.

devpac 2 ftw. v3 is cool, but IIRC it needs more than one floppy drive.