Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dr. Gonzo dead  (Read 1295 times)

Description:

Offline BlombergTopic starter

• Show only replies by Blomberg
Dr. Gonzo dead
« on: February 21, 2005, 08:17:03 PM »

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
Re: Dr. Gonzo dead
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 08:21:11 PM »
The man Nixon said represented "that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character" (a positive endorsement coming from Nixon.)

Hunter S Thompson: Your tributes [bbc]

-zudo  :-(
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »

zudobug wrote:
The man Nixon said represented "that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character" (a positive endorsement coming from Nixon.)

Hunter S Thompson: Your tributes [bbc]

-zudo  :-(

RIP

The man whom all psychotropic experimenters must aspire to be like. :-D

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 09:13:57 PM »
well, i've never taken drugs and I wish i was as talented as HST. as far as i'm concerned people like him are talented dispite their use of drugs. anyway, he was about living life to the fullest. not taking drugs. (as an end in itself).

this is what is remember about HST:

----------------

Security
by Hunter S. Thompson (1955).

Security ... what does this word mean in relation to life as we know it today? For the most part, it means safety and freedom from worry. It is said to be the end that all men strive for; but is security a utopian goal or is it another word for rut?

Let us visualize the secure man; and by this term, I mean a man who has settled for financial arid personal security for his goal in life. In general, he is a man who has pushed ambition and initiative aside and settled down, so to speak, in a boring, but safe and comfortable rut for the rest of his life. His future is but an extension of his present, and he accepts it as such with a complacent shrug of his shoulders. His ideas and ideals are those of society in general and he is accepted as a respectable, but average and prosaic man. But is he a man? has he any self-respect or pride in himself? How could he, when he has risked nothing and gained nothing? What does he think when he sees his youthful dreams of adventure, accomplishment, travel and romance buried under the cloak of conformity? How does he feel when he realizes that be has barely tasted the meal of life; when he sees the prison he has made for himself in pursuit of the almighty dollar? If he thinks this is all well and good, fine, but think of the tragedy of a man who has sacrificed his freedom on the altar of security, and wishes he could turn back the hands of time. A man is to be pitied who lacked the courage to accept the challenge of freedom and depart from the cushion of security and see life as it is instead of living it second-band. Life his by-passed this man and he has watched from a secure place, afraid to seek anything better What has he done except to sit and wait for the tomorrow which never comes?

As an afterthought, it seems hardly proper to write of life without once mentioning happiness; so we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?

------------------

"There he goes -- one of God's own prototypes -- a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... and too rare to die."
----
"You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye."
----
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:27:17 PM »
:-(

Just heard.  He'll be missed.

Now let's go solve the f*cking problems before we lose another. :-x

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:26:27 PM »
he was about living life to the fullest. not taking drugs. (as an end in itself).

Thats the whole point in taking drugs in the first place.

Life is sh!t, drugs can make it better (temporarily).

Many people who take drugs develop psychiatric disorders.  None users often say it's the drugs that cause the mental illness and in some cases this may be the case, but in many cases people with mental illness take drugs as a way of "self medicating" to make the pain go away, then go for psychiatric treatment many years afterwards which then causes the professionals to assume the drugs were the cause, when in fact the drugs were meant to be the (not working) cure.

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 07:05:50 AM »

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 04:28:05 AM »
Thompson's Wife Forgives His Suicide

because sometimes yahoo loses links i'll post the article here:

By David Kelly Times Staff Writer

DENVER - On the last day of his life, Hunter S. Thompson woke with his usual breakfast of fresh fruit inside a thin layer of jello with gin and Grand Marnier drizzled on top.

His wife, Anita, carefully put a lemon on the side and hovered near his chair. It was 5 p.m., the time the writer normally began his day.

"Suddenly he began talking about something weird, I can't remember exactly what," she recalled in an interview Friday. "He began to get angry with me. He had a strange look on his face. He told me to get out of the room. I was like: 'What do you mean?' He had never kicked me out of a room before."

The final countdown had begun.

Angry and hurt, Anita grabbed her bag and stomped out.

"When I got to the gym in Aspen, I called because I felt bad," said the 32-year-old, who lived with Thompson for five years before marrying him in 2003. "He was so sweet. I asked if he wanted me to come back, and he said he did. He said we could work on a column. We usually made up when he wrote."

Then Thompson did something strange. He took her off speakerphone - his preferred method of talking to people - and picked up his headset and continued talking.

"Then I heard a lot of clicking noises, it seemed to me to be a typewriter clicking," Anita Thompson said. "I listened for 45 seconds and heard other noises. I figured he was not going to pick up the headset again, so I hung up."

About the same time on Sunday - 5:40 p.m. - Thompson's son, Juan, his daughter-in-law and his 6-year-old grandson were in another room of the Owl Ranch compound in Woody Creek, a few miles northwest of Aspen. Juan heard a bang, a noise he figured was a book falling.

Anita Thompson had just finished a yoga class when a friend heard that something bad had occurred at Owl Ranch.

"I called my cellphone and there was a message from Juan saying 'Anita, you have to come home; he's dead.' I started to panic. I knew this day would come, but not like this."

Thompson, the hard-drinking writer who coined the term "gonzo journalism" and wrote drug-fueled best-sellers such as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," had finally done it.

Cursed with increasingly bad health and never expecting to see 40 - let alone 67 - Thompson had decided to go out, as his widow said, "like a champion."

He had put a .45-caliber pistol in his mouth while sitting in his favorite chair at the kitchen table and pulled the trigger.

When Anita Thompson arrived at Owl Farm, guarded by two metal buzzards at the gate, the place was swarming with police. She shouted at officers and demanded to see her husband's body.

"I was certain I could turn this whole thing around with sheer willpower," she said tearfully. "The sheriff's deputies said I shouldn't see the body because they thought it would be too horrible."

She pushed into the kitchen and found Thompson still in the chair. He had done a remarkable job, she thought. The pistol shot did no damage to his face and there was little blood.

"As soon as I saw him, all that craziness, all the anger and fear, went away," she said. "I held him, kissed his head and rubbed his leg like I always did. Thank God he didn't do much damage. I said it was OK, Hunter; I know what you did. Suddenly, there was nothing but peace."

Thompson and his wife had been at odds for years about his talk of suicide. She threatened to leave the compound and wash her hands of his work and his legacy if he carried out his threat. In the end, he would back down and vow not to do it.

But the pain of hip replacement surgery, back surgery, a lung infection and a broken leg was taking its toll.

"It was definitely not a spur-of-the-moment thing," said Douglas Brinkley, a professor of American history at Tulane University and literary executor of Thompson's will. "He had been looking at his options for a few months. One option was physical rehabilitation. A second option was to stop drinking and move to a warmer climate. The other option was to kill himself. No one knows how long he considered it ? he used to say he wasn't afraid to kill himself all the time."

In keeping with his outsized persona, gun-loving Thompson told friends he wanted his ashes to be blasted out of a cannon on his property. A team of experts is working on that now.

Angels Flight of Castaic, Calif., which puts human ashes into fireworks and explodes them in the sky, has offered its services.

"We have done cannons in the past. It would not be difficult to do human remains," said Nick Drobnis, company president. "But if someone didn't understand pyrotechnics and tried to cram the remains into a cannon, they could end up with a detonation."

Before he was cremated this week, Thompson's wife dressed him in his favorite blue pin-striped, seersucker suit. She put his Tilley hat on his head, a red silk handkerchief in his pocket and his reading glasses on his eyes. She also included snapshots of the two of them - along with her long, blond ponytail.

"Hunter's death was not grisly. He was in the catbird seat in the kitchen, in the mountains by his wife and family. He wanted to go out while he was still on top, not wither away," she said.

Thompson wasn't always easy to live with. He could be a 6-foot-2 angry child sometimes, his wife said.

"He hated people who talked too much, he hated cellphones and he couldn't stand a drunk - he actually never seemed drunk himself," she said. "The difference between Hunter and other writers is he never used drugs as an excuse not to work. He used them as an excuse to work. He wrote the first half of 'Hells Angels' in six months. He wrote the second half in four days on whisky and Dexedrine - and that was the best part."

Despite her vows to leave the ranch if he killed himself, Anita Thompson is planning to stay and promote Thompson's legacy.

"If you are ever weak, sad or confused, you can read Hunter and feel better," she said. "I will continue to work with Hunter for the rest of my life."
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Wilse

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 06:33:39 PM »
The man whom all psychotropic experimenters must aspire to be like.

Maybe without the gun fetish in my case. :-)

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »

Wilse wrote:
The man whom all psychotropic experimenters must aspire to be like.

Maybe without the gun fetish in my case. :-)

:lol:

Replace "gun" with "amiga" ??? ;-)

Offline Wilse

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
@mdma:

Fair cop, guv. :-P

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 10:41:18 PM »
Another news article about HST, but only a taster without paying. Still, it is a tastey taste.

lick here

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 12:18:26 AM »

FluffyMcDeath wrote:
Another news article about HST, but only a taster without paying. Still, it is a tastey taste.

lick here

Thanks to Google, this link at least quotes the second paragraph in.