Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 History Question  (Read 1825 times)

Description:

Offline KDogTopic starter

• Show only replies by KDog
Amiga 1000 History Question
« on: December 21, 2002, 02:24:17 AM »
I had an Amiga 1000 once upon a time. But I saw this picture: http://amiga.org/gallery/photo.php?lid=38
It seems that I don't remember either the Commodore Chickenhead logo OR the checkmark logo -- I could have sworn mine had a boing ball in the checkmark's place. Can anyone verify this as a possibility? I may be crazy, but I'm almost positive there was a boing ball. Possibly an older or newer A1000?

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Amiga 1000 History Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 02:37:42 AM »
Yeah, I have seen a few with the boing ball logo, as well.  (There was a company that was selling those boing ball square logos as new/old stock, as well, to replace the checkmark a few years back)  

As I understand it, the boingball was on the first run of North American A1000s.  Then subsequent runs had the Checkmark.  The C= logo was either a prototype or perhaps a non-North American release.

The Checkmark logo is the most common, then the boingball, then the most rare C= logo.  At least that's the way it is in the US.

Offline KDogTopic starter

• Show only replies by KDog
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 02:43:38 AM »
Makes sense.

Although it's interesting that the only logo that remains associated to the Amiga of today is the boing ball, then. Guess we're going back to our roots?

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 07:21:02 AM »
:-? There was a fellow selling the Boing! logo plate on e-bay, a couple of years ago.  According to his story, Commodore had had the plates made, and then changed their mind at the last minute and had checkmark plates made to use instead.  The ones he was selling had come straight from the box, and had never been installed on anything.

;-) I had no idea whether any hardware had shipped with the boing logos until I read it in this thread.  I certainly haven't seen any.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 10:17:56 PM »
I've been after for some Powered By Amiga/Boing ball stickers to put on my AmigaOne on Amibench.
No luck so far! :-P

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 10:23:51 PM »
@KDog

Although it's interesting that the only logo that remains associated to the Amiga of today is the boing

I always associate the Amiga with the checkmark, is this a 1980's thing? , I really don't remember seeing the boing ball that much before 1992.... maybe my memory isn't what it was....
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 10:39:23 PM »
If my memory serves me right, pre-stock as in pre C= were manufactured by the Los Gatos croud and were turned over to C= after the buy out.  C= units rolled of the line with the check mark.  Production of these units were a matter of weeks a part.  The very first A1000 I remember seeing (1985) at a friends house had the Boing Ball.  I baught my first one Xmas 85 and it had the C= checkmark (ugly).
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline frankb

• Show only replies by frankb
    • http://www.frankbrockway.com
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 10:40:58 PM »
I always associate the Amiga with the checkmark, is this a 1980's thing? , I really don't remember seeing the boing ball that much before 1992.... maybe my memory isn't what it was....

The first time I saw an A1000 with the boing ball was one of the first Amiga shows in California in early 1986. It belonged to one of the original Los Gatos developers. Later on, IIRC, there was a company that sold aftermarket boing ball replacement logos for the A1000.

The checkmark was a Commodore marketing logo. The Los Gatos team only wanted the boing ball. The first boing ball that had anything to do with the Amiga was the demo that Dale Luck and RJ Mical (aka "the dancing fools") made on the eve and morning of the first Winter CES the Amiga was shown at.

(The original boing ball)
\\"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.\\" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 04:52:23 PM »
An old thread, but I have some insight on it.

I have 2 A1000's.  One has a C= logo, one has a Checkmark.  Talking to a few ex-C= guys, this is how the production went most likely:

Initial run of 100 machines or so had the boingball logo.  Then, Commodore found out that the Boingball was un-trademark-able.  (it's an international aeronautics symbol) so they went to the ever to the C= logo for the next few hundred units.  However,  the Las Gato's guys didn't like the change-a-roo, so they produced replacement patches with the boingball.  Then, the familiar Checkmark came into use.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.