Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: !stop press! - bloodline buys a Powerbook G4  (Read 5770 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
!stop press! - bloodline buys a Powerbook G4
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:14:38 AM »
The new 12" Powerbook G4 with a 1.5Ghz CPU and a 60gig HD might fill my needs...

2 large obstacles are present. Firstly, no Mac version of Adobe Audition... But at a push I could cope with Logic Audio 7 (despite it costing 3 times as much...).

Secondly, ONE MOUSE BUTTON!!!!... I spent a couple of hours at an apple store yesterday and grew to hate the limitation with much passion.

Anyway I need to run this thing away from a power source... for extended periods... while powering a 20Watt audio interface from the firewire...

could anyone give me an idea of what duration I might get from a full charge?

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
Re: !stop press! - bloodline considers Powerbook G4
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:53 AM »
"ONE MOUSE BUTTON!!!!"

I have my mac on my KVM via a usb->ps2 adapter and I was suprised that both mousebuttons function as they would in windows, i.e left mouse does clicky stuff and right brings up menus etc, and the scroll wheel works too.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline samanosuke

• Show only replies by samanosuke
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
I have a Logitech 6 button USB mouse for my Mac. OSX recognises the two normal buttons and the scroll wheel automatically and will recognise the other, fully configurable buttons if the supplied software is installed. Why Apple insist on supplying just a single button mouse is beyond me. It seems like suicide marketing as I am sure many prospective customers are not aware that Macs are fully compatible with normal mice.
My Amigas: A4000 w/CS Mk II \'060, Picasso IV, 128Mb, OS3.9
Stock A4000 040 w/16Mb, OS3.0

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 12:12:14 PM »
@Bloodline.
 Dunno if this helps about the power useage,
 Got a 14" 1.3Ghz G4 iBook here with 512mb ram, just done a full charge and it reckons it has 6h 26 mins left. Although that's just laying here in bed typing a reply, under "normal" use I get 4-5 hours.
On schedule, and suing

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:29:36 PM »

Doobrey wrote:
@Bloodline.
 Dunno if this helps about the power useage,
 Got a 14" 1.3Ghz G4 iBook here with 512mb ram, just done a full charge and it reckons it has 6h 26 mins left. Although that's just laying here in bed typing a reply, under "normal" use I get 4-5 hours.

Well, if I can get 2 hours of use then I'm happy... I'm gonna take my Audio interface down to the apple store and see if they'll let me run some tests...

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:31:58 PM »

lorddef wrote:
"ONE MOUSE BUTTON!!!!"

I have my mac on my KVM via a usb->ps2 adapter and I was suprised that both mousebuttons function as they would in windows, i.e left mouse does clicky stuff and right brings up menus etc, and the scroll wheel works too.

yup, that's good to know, I have nice little Logitech (2 button + scroll wheel) USB mouse here that I was hoping to use with it.

The problem is that hardly any apps take advantage of two mouse buttons, as Apple don't provide them as standard.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 12:56:14 PM »
I have a mac, makes for a great doorstop!
Whatever happened to the P.A.W.S. 1200 anyway? :-D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 01:04:28 PM »
The new 12" Powerbook G4 with a 1.5Ghz CPU and a 60gig HD might fill my needs..

Dont you know it is dead? See here. :-D Sell it while it is still worth of something ;-)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 01:08:09 PM »

itix wrote:

The new 12" Powerbook G4 with a 1.5Ghz CPU and a 60gig HD might fill my needs..

Dont you know it is dead? See here. :-D Sell it while it is still worth of something ;-)

:lol:

Seriously for a second, how does one get application to show up on the desktop in MacOSX... lets say, the application disapears for some reason, then when you click on the icon to open it up again, the title bar changes to your app, but none of the windows open :-?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
Blood, why now a powerbook unless your adding to your computer museum?   :-?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 02:25:09 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Seriously for a second, how does one get application to show up on the desktop in MacOSX... lets say, the application disapears for some reason, then when you click on the icon to open it up again, the title bar changes to your app, but none of the windows open :-?

I get this with firefox on OSX a lot :-D

Typically you can have an application open with no windows presently open or if some are, they may be minimised and languishing around near the trashcan on the dock.

You can also use apple tab in an analogous way to alt tab under windows. If you are using OSX 10.3, you can also sometimes use the expose feature to find windows that have sneakily crept out of sight.
int p; // A

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »

dammy wrote:
Blood, why now a powerbook unless your adding to your computer museum?   :-?

Dammy

My current laptop just doesn't give enough time on it's batteries, doesn't have a 6wire firewire and it gets much too hot... it's also too big and heavy to be a decent portable... also it has a fan intake on the underside of the unit which means that you can't put it on uneven surfaces...

The Powerbook G4 12" has none of those issues. I also noticed that the PowerBook runs Logic audio really well.

-Edit- Plus I really like the look of the Powerbook (I always have).

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 02:42:40 PM »

Karlos wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Typically you can have an application open with no windows presently open or if some are, they may be minimised and languishing around near the trashcan on the dock.

You can also use apple tab in an analogous way to alt tab under windows. If you are using OSX 10.3, you can also sometimes use the expose feature to find windows that have sneakily crept out of sight.

Gah.. OSX is a PITA...

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »

bloodline wrote:

Karlos wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Gah.. OSX is a PITA...

Stick Ubuntu on it, and only run Mac-on-Linux for the OSX software you need!  There's the double bonus of being able to run AROS-PPC hosted on Ubuntu at the same time as OSX! :-D

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »

mdma wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Karlos wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Gah.. OSX is a PITA...

Stick Ubuntu on it, and only run Mac-on-Linux for the OSX software you need!  There's the double bonus of being able to run AROS-PPC hosted on Ubuntu at the same time as OSX! :-D

I'm not sure that would work for the task which I require it... That tiny little G4 is gonna have a hard enough time running Logic Audio and driving my 10 channel audio interface alone without the joy of Linux getting in the way... :-)