Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Market research for new PowerPC system  (Read 16441 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show all replies
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »
Oh wow, Codex must have a serious death wish or cash to launder, nobody gets into PPC development these days without at least one...

Quote from: efrenmgp;523782
Greek company Codex has intentions of bringing new PowerPC-based hardware to the market. Eventually they could even fund AmigaOS and MorphOS support for it.

More information available here and here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
I think they should concentrate on a Microsoft Bob port for AROS...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
Yeah, if every manufacturer listed to the whim of the market where would we be?  Just because nobody will buy it is not a valid reason for not making it.  

Wow, I should be chairman of General Motors!

Quote from: recidivist;523863
Despite the expertise of bloodline or any other person,they can only offer their OPINION.

If someone wants to  make a new PPC  and you don't like it,you could just ignore it.

Too many experts DEMAND all users/customers must follow their advice and opinion;similar to other totalitarians like the globull warming bs.

PPC is dead when no one uses it.Just because the people who drive/restore/show certain old cars/tractors/computers are a tiny percentage of  the market doesn't mean they  can't enjoy  the activity.

And a PPC Mac port of Amiga OS or MorphOS or AROS for Mac will instantly have a huge pool of computers to run on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »
Haiku ppc?  Isn't that more a dream than a reality?  And Linux?  You have Yellow Dog on PPC and that's about it.  You lose wine and a lot of other pieces of software on PPC.  You gain nothing in return for the losses.  Look at Apple, sales have tripled since the Intel switchover.  

So you have no OS, no laptop support and come in at several times the price of Intel, why would anyone give you money for that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
I'd consider a PPC board if it ran AMigaOS or Morphos and if it were the same price as a comparable Intel board.  The first is possible, the second is not.  I'm not at the stage of my life where I cant throw a thousand bucks at a hundred dollar board...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
It's a very small market, the universe of Amiga users probably wouldn't fill a large hotel ballroom, a PPC Mac Mini port of Amiga OS 4 and Morphos would fill any conceivable demand at a price that you couldn't match. In away that's the dilemma that Hyperion and  the Morphos Team face, developing a PPC MacMini port would put the OS back in the affordable range at the cost of essentially killing all other alternatives.

Would I try a PPC Mac Mini version of Morphos or AmigaOS 4?  In a heartbeat....

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:32:38 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Why would a geek bother with a higher priced board that limits them to poorly supported versions of a handful of OSs?  Haiku runs beautifully on intel equipment which I could source for a thousand places in Australia. Plus I have the choice of Icarios, several hundred Linux distros with the ability to run Windows programs in Wine.

I custom built computers all the time, why would I bother with a board that offers price performance ratios 5 to 10 times worse than Intel/AMD?  In the end it just choosing the parts and putting them together so why would I be more excited about something that after I build it has far fewer choices of OS?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
What is it that prevents OS4 from loading on any PPC board?  Intel and Apple with their tens of thousands of employees couldn't stop OS X from loading on a generic board, how come a company with a total number of employees you could count on your toes  can keep OS4 from loading on any PPC board?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
It's too bad PearPC died, had development continued we could have run Amiga OS 4 on standard affordable equipment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
I probably will never try OS4 or Morphos becuase of the rediculous pricing of PPC boards.  They're both unknowns,  if they ran on affordable or standard hardware I'd be more inclined to try them.  Realistically in 2009 you shouldn't have to buy hardware to try something anyway, Haiku runs beatifully in Fusion on my Mac.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
Yes, X86 is a logical choice based on available hardware.  But AmigaOS is a closed source OS with a handful of people working on it, the market is small, it's not a general interest OS.  There's no audience of millions waiting for the Amiga line, there might have been in 1995, but they've long since left the station.  AROS and Anubis have taught us that.

It 's us and a handful of retro enthusiasts that might join us.  That means they for the most part are willing to pay a premium.  So why bother porting to X86?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]