Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Market research for new PowerPC system  (Read 16442 times)

Description:

Offline tonyyeb

• Show all replies
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
Sent my e-mail :D
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline tonyyeb

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »
Quote from: dammy;523838
Lovely, more vaporware.

This announcement is not even over a day old and you are already making this call. Give the guy a chance... or is it that it is PPC that you don't like the idea?
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline tonyyeb

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
Quote from: persia;524168
It's too bad PearPC died, had development continued we could have run Amiga OS 4 on standard affordable equipment.

Indeed! I wish PearPC was still being developed. This would open up a lot of software to lots of cheap hardware and existing users.

Who wants to spend $600+ on a system without even trying it out then to find it is limited as to what can be run on it.
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline tonyyeb

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »
Quote from: markos;524171
I don't remember myseflf asking for preorders or paying without trying. When it's out, I'll send a few boards to reviewers, you can make your decision afterwards.

Can I try before I buy?
Chris (aka tonyyeb)

Offline tonyyeb

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
Quote from: persia;524200
I probably will never try OS4 or Morphos becuase of the rediculous pricing of PPC boards.  They're both unknowns,  if they ran on affordable or standard hardware I'd be more inclined to try them.  Realistically in 2009 you shouldn't have to buy hardware to try something anyway, Haiku runs beatifully in Fusion on my Mac.

Totally agree. Computers are a bit of a hobby for me whilst software development is my job. I don't spend a lot on computers and when I do they last me a fair bit of time. A PPC board would be nice to 'play' with but I don't think I can afford to be playing with something.

If people want PPC stuff to be taken seriously again then it needs to be mainstream with mainstream pricing. Otherwise it will be a 500 run of that board and a 1000 run of that board making it harder for developers to support varying platforms.
Chris (aka tonyyeb)