Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Quicksilver 2002 doesnt like MorphOS  (Read 8610 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

My Quicksilver 2002 doesnt like MorphOS
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
I have recently come across a PowerMac Quicksilver 2002 and decided to give it a try with Morphos.

My setup:
Quicksilver 2002
256MB RAM
PATA HDD 80GB (Unpartitioned, tested working on another machine)
ATI gfx card
PS2 keyboard & PS2 mouse thru a PS2 to USB adapter
Morphos 2.7 properly burnt on a cdrom
I have a samsung 43" LCD TV that is connected thru VGA cable to the VGA port of the Ati gfx card in "PC compatible mode".

When I boot up the MOS cdrom starts and gives me this message:

Quark/Openfirmware
console failed
System: Rev <>
CPU0: Version 0x8000 Revision 0x201
CPU0: CPUClock 799999998 BUSClock 133160004

Then the screen goes black, some more cdrom activity is heard and my monitor yells unsupported resolution. And there ends my MOS experience with this PowerMac. :(

Can anyone help me figure out how to make it work?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: My Quicksilver 2002 doesnt like MorphOS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;655124

When I boot up the MOS cdrom starts and gives me this message:

Quark/Openfirmware
console failed
System: Rev <>
CPU0: Version 0x8000 Revision 0x201
CPU0: CPUClock 799999998 BUSClock 133160004

Then the screen goes black, some more cdrom activity is heard and my monitor yells unsupported resolution. And there ends my MOS experience with this PowerMac. :(

Can anyone help me figure out how to make it work?

MorphOS DDC fails to generate compatible modes for some reason. There can be numerous reasons for this. Try holding down LMB or F1 while the system boots. If you get a bootmenu try to change the screenmode the system boots to. If this works you can continue with install and choose this screenmode for the system later on.

If LMB or F1 don't give you a visible bootmenu you'll need to try a different monitor.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »
Thanks, will do that and report back :)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:02 AM »
Okay, thank you, it worked, after changing the montior to another one. I am posting this from the default OWB1.1 which will soon be updated to 1.9.
The thing is that my Radeon 7500 (32MB) seems to only manage upto 1024x600, and then again this "new" monitor wines about it saying that I should better use 1440x900 resolution, which seems unavailable to me from MorphOS :(

Is there a way to tweak the settings to make it work in that optimum resolution? At 1024x600 my eyes hurt, but at least I can see the entire desktop.

BTW I am usiong now an 19" LG model M198WA-BM

Any help is apreciuated.

Offline Piru

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:49:11 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;655148
Okay, thank you, it worked, after changing the montior to another one. I am posting this from the default OWB1.1 which will soon be updated to 1.9.

You should upgrade it to Odyssey 1.14:
http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/

The thing is that my Radeon 7500 (32MB) seems to only manage upto 1024x600, and then again this "new" monitor wines about it saying that I should better use 1440x900 resolution, which seems unavailable to me from MorphOS :(

32MB is well enough for these resolutions, but you might want to disable the eye candy:
Go to system preferences, Screens and then disable "Enhanced layers" for Ambient screen. This should help with systems with limited amount of VMEM.

Is there a way to tweak the settings to make it work in that optimum resolution?

It seems you're not having much luck with the DDC in MorphOS. Typically this stuff should work automagically.

It is possible to edit the screenmodes the old fashioned way. Go to system Preferences, then Monitors. Editing the modes is basically the same as with CyberGraphX CGXmode. You can create and test the 1440x900 mode there. After you've created the mode you need to reboot. To make Ambient use the mode you need to go to System preferences, Screens and set the Ambient mode there.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;655148

Just a sidenote: 1.10 is included in MorphOS, not 1.1. So using 1.9 would actually be a downgrade. But as Piru said, use 1.14, anyway. :)

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Just a sidenote: 1.10 is included in MorphOS, not 1.1. So using 1.9 would actually be a downgrade. But as Piru said, use 1.14, anyway. :)  

If that's true, that's horrible and confusing versioning.

1.10 should always be = to 1.1
1.9 should always be > 1.14

Offline Piru

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;655190

nope. such versioning scheme is unamigan. it breaks version command for instance.

it's version dot revision and not some decimal number!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:11:04 PM by Piru »

Offline Kremlar

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
No idea what's "Amigan" or not, or what breaks what, just pointing out it is not logical and is confusing.

1.09 would be < 1.14

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
It's x.y (where x=version and y=revision).

So in the example 1.9 or 1.14 --> Version=1 and Revision=9 or Revision=14

Apparently 14>9 ! As Piru said... it's not simple decimal numbers.
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline Piru

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;655193
No idea what's "Amigan" or not, or what breaks what, just pointing out it is not logical and is confusing.

1.09 would be < 1.14
No it's not confusing and it's perfectly logical. It's only confusing if you think version number as a decimal number, which it is not.

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;655190

Well... linux often uses two dots in version numbers. Would you read that as decimals too? :)

Offline Kremlar

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
It's confusing because in 99% of all cases, in the general software world, versioning is done using decimal. And when you use a decimal point, you're certainly implying that.

It's not confusing for you because you're familiar with the software. But, what if one piece of software uses decimal and the other does not? How does the user know which is which if both are presented in the same format and both use a decimal point?

If I'm a new user installing MorphOS and trying to download a piece of software and I see version 1.14 and version 1.9 I'm instinctively going to download 1.9.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that it's confusing to the user. You can't use a decimal point and say it's not a decimal number and expect a typical user to just know that.

From a general perspective if it's version 1 revision 14, it should be labeled v1r14 not 1.14.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655196
No it's not confusing and it's perfectly logical. It's only confusing if you think version number as a decimal number, which it is not.
People might be less prone to thinking of it as a decimal number if it weren't written like a decimal number ;P If, say, you kept the scheme but wrote it with a dash, nobody would confuse 1-5 for (3/2).
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Piru

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;655200
It's confusing because in 99% of all cases, in the general software world, versioning is done using decimal.
I disagree. Most of the software world uses version . revision [. build or and maybe even 4th element]. Even Microsoft does that (they may have used 1.04 or something as silly for Windows 1).

And when you use a decimal point, you're certainly implying that.
Nope, it's a common practice to separate the version components with a dot.

It's not confusing for you because you're familiar with the software. But, what if one piece of software uses decimal and the other does not? How does the user know which is which if both are presented in the same format and both use a decimal point?
There's no way to know. Decimal number is far less flexible and more confusing way to do it however, and thus it is used less and less.

If I'm a new user installing MorphOS and trying to download a piece of software and I see version 1.14 and version 1.9 I'm instinctively going to download 1.9.
Understandable mistake if you don't know that the version number isn't a decimal number in AmigaOS and MorphOS world.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that it's confusing to the user. You can't use a decimal point and say it's not a decimal number and expect a typical user to just know that.
I'm under the impression that most if not all MorphOS users have prior experience with amigaos, and such understand that version numbers are not decimal numbers.

From a general perspective if it's version 1 revision 14, it should be labeled v1r14 not 1.14.
That'd be just even more confusing I'd say. My experience is that software using decimal versioning is nowadays quite rare. It does exists for sure, but is far less common than before.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:30:57 PM by Piru »