Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DKB 2632 won't start in OS 3.9  (Read 4432 times)

Description:

Offline SpeedGeek

Re: DKB 2632 won't start in OS 3.9
« on: October 09, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
The 2632 tool's "Resident Module" code doesn't like OS3.x. It was developed for OS2.x and DKB never released an update for this.

The work around is to use 2632 -r (which skips the resident module code install).

I don't know about the filesystem and SCSI2SD issues, but they are likely unrelated to the resident module issue.  ;)   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:28:17 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 11:14:39 PM »
I tried a different memory tester, this one also named, confusingly enough, memcheck (actually memcheck 37.13, R 1.2).  Started up the DKB with 2632 -m0 in 3.9 so I'd be able to issue further commands.  And it looks like it ran through the entire 112 M and found nothing wrong.  And after presumably having touched all the DKB RAM with memcheck, I was still able to issue shell commands without triggering an error 42.  So I'm going to have to assume the 2632 itself is OK.

Sorry for the moire - my camera and monitor are fighting.  I tried different distances and contrast levels.  This was about the best I could do.  I'd have redirected the output to a file but it took about two hours to run the test.

When doing a memory test always use CPU NODATACACHE first, otherwise you typically get mixed results (but you want all the results to be from physical memory).

I would suggest not trying to use the OS 3.9 ROM update unless you skip the exec.library and scsi.device updates. The OS 3.9 ROM update has buggy model detection code which can cause the wrong versions to be installed.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 02:19:30 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 08:26:39 PM »
OK, I took option b.  And it certainly made a difference.  First of all, I found that I no longer get those two yellow "Recoverable alert, click left to continue" boxes on booting.  Then I did "2632 -m0" and it worked.  The extra RAM appeared and I could still give DOS commands.  Then I started trying to use it.  I started up Poseidon, AmiTCP, ftp, AWebII, AmiMail, DPaintIV in high res overscan mode, a bunch of WB windows, and 15 shell windows without encountering any errors.  I was using almost 10 MB by that point.  However, trying to start NetSurf still gives that FS3 bad block error.  On the 16th shell window, the entire system hung, but possibly because there was just too much stuff going on by then.

But at least this is progress.  It looks like the BB2 ROM Update is causing problems.

Well, you still forgot about the 2632 resident module code issue. The problem occurs not when the resident module code is installed, but rather when it is executed (e.g. the next reboot). Now, what happens after you install the Amiga OS ROM update?  ::)   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:27:13 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 01:43:05 PM »
Sorry to be so dense but are we talking about the 2632 resident module?  Because AFAIK that goes away on the next reboot.  The 2632 isn't autoconfig so you have to give the 2632 command on every boot.

I don't understand what you mean by "after you install the Amiga OS ROM update".  Do you mean I should now remove the NOROMUPDATE option from SetPatch?  I assume we'd just go back to the previous state where adding the 2632 causes all commands to fail with error 41.

Yes, we are talking about the 2632 resident module and no, it does not go away after the next reboot. You will have to power down (cold boot) to remove it.

The observed behavior with using the OS 3.9 ROM update was supposed to be an "Auto reboot". Hence, I saw no need to explain it any further. Now, there are 2 possibilities here:

1) 2362 command before Setpatch = resident module conflict with OS 3.9 ROM update  auto reboot

2) 2362 command after Setpatch = resident module conflict with next user reboot

So either way you still have the problem, it just a matter of when.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:36:09 PM by SpeedGeek »