Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Minimig, possible problem  (Read 3985 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: New Minimig, possible problem
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:13:16 AM »
Quote from: CommodoreRock;674169
Hi everyone.  I got my Minimig from Acube a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't realize it didn't come with power supply, and I ordered one from Amigakit.  It arrived the other day, and I plugged it in to test, and instead of the blue light described, I only get two red lights, one small, one large and bright.  I plugged in to VGA output and got no display.

Prior to doing this, I formatted the SD card to FAT16 and added the minimig1.bin file from Acube website and what I believed to be the kick rom (I believe it was the one that had "A595" in the name from the Amiga Forever disc) and renamed it "kick.rom".   Even if I had the wrong kick, I would have assumed it wouldn't have anything to do with the proper lights lighting up on the board or ability to display something to my monitor.  I am completely new to Amiga and this device, and right now, I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  Would anyone be able to weigh in with some ideas?  If I've left out any important information, please let me know, and I will attempt to provide.

Against advice, I went with the 2MB Minimig to cut down on costs as I'll probably only be playing games, and I got the version without PIC, since I thought I understood that it was only required for hard drive support.

Thanks in advance.

The main benefit of the 4MB one is that WHDLOAD works pretty well. I'm not so sure how well it will work with just 2MB.

I think you get HD support even with the PIC. I believe it just goes slower.

The interesting thing is that the exit keys for WHDLOAD actually work and it's not supposed  to work with a 68000 (only 68010+)

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;674235
Correct.  For small HDF files the PIC is fine, but if you use large HDF files then you'll notice a hell of a difference.  I have the ARM controller that replaces the PIC and it is worth the extra money.

Yes. I have the ARM controller as well.

I ended up not doing much with my Minimig initially and then recently I started messing with it again when I got the new case and bluetooth adapter and buzzer. I'm really impressed with the latest core. I really want the new minimig.

When I initially configured it i don't believe it supported FAT32 or long filenames :) I just had a bunch ADFs with 8 character filenames in the root of a 2GB FAT16 card. No wonder I did not do much with it.

Did you do the SPI Mod? If you do the SPI MOD (like I did) can you even use the PIC anymore without putting the resister back?

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:25:58 AM »
Quote from: CommodoreRock;674178
Wow.  Thanks, everyone.  I feel like a heel.  I feel like I should have asked a lot more questions before I ordered.  Sounds like this is going to be a headache.  I guess I should have ordered the PIC version.  I wonder, is it easy to order one and attach or is it something I need to send back to Acube for (I have no soldering experience if required)?

I don't think I need this PIC anymore. Its yours if you want it. I don't know what software is on it so it probably needs updated.

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;674239
Bluetooth adapter and buzzer???!!!  I'm missing something.  Tell me more!  :)
/QUOTE]

If you put a buzzer on pins 5 & 6 you get simulated floppy noise. It is pretty cool except those AntiClick and NoClick utils don't seem to work like they do on my 1200.

the bluetooth thing is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191154

I made a little program in .NET to transfer files to and from my MiniMig you can see in this post

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=672956&postcount=2

I also have been trying to get AmiTCP to connect with ppp.device to my windows7 machine over the bluetooth link, but I'm unsuccessful so far...

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;674370
Using Bluetooth to transfer files to a MiniMig or Replay board is very cool!

Hopefully with the Replay board will have better options than serial port.

For the existing 1.1 Minimig it is not bad. With the speed in turbo the serial is able to go 115200 which is the limit for the bluetooth serial adapter anyway.

Before I was booting the SD card's HDF files on UAE and transferring files that way. This is much better for just getting just a few .LHA files from aminet.

the adapter was $75 which is expensive considering a USB BT adapter is $15 or so.