Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Minimig, possible problem  (Read 3979 times)

Description:

Offline CommodoreRockTopic starter

• Show all replies
New Minimig, possible problem
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
Hi everyone.  I got my Minimig from Acube a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't realize it didn't come with power supply, and I ordered one from Amigakit.  It arrived the other day, and I plugged it in to test, and instead of the blue light described, I only get two red lights, one small, one large and bright.  I plugged in to VGA output and got no display.

Prior to doing this, I formatted the SD card to FAT16 and added the minimig1.bin file from Acube website and what I believed to be the kick rom (I believe it was the one that had "A595" in the name from the Amiga Forever disc) and renamed it "kick.rom".   Even if I had the wrong kick, I would have assumed it wouldn't have anything to do with the proper lights lighting up on the board or ability to display something to my monitor.  I am completely new to Amiga and this device, and right now, I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  Would anyone be able to weigh in with some ideas?  If I've left out any important information, please let me know, and I will attempt to provide.

Against advice, I went with the 2MB Minimig to cut down on costs as I'll probably only be playing games, and I got the version without PIC, since I thought I understood that it was only required for hard drive support.

Thanks in advance.

• Show all replies
Re: New Minimig, possible problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, everyone.  I feel like a heel.  I feel like I should have asked a lot more questions before I ordered.  Sounds like this is going to be a headache.  I guess I should have ordered the PIC version.  I wonder, is it easy to order one and attach or is it something I need to send back to Acube for (I have no soldering experience if required)?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
So, I just want to make sure I understand.  Is the lack of video output and only getting the two red lights and not a blue light (as the manual describes and as I've seen in online videos) part of the same issue, caused by the lack of a PIC or could the device be faulty altogether?

By the way, assuming the Minimig isn't faulty and doesn't have to go back, bbond007, I would be interested in the PIC.  I appreciate the offer.  I'll contact you to discuss price and shipping etc., once I know for sure I don't have a broken device.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
Just wanted to post a follow up here--my Minimig is now working great.   Thanks to all for suggestions/help.  I was able to purchase the PIC from Acube and install myself and resolve wrong/outdated kick.rom and minimig.bin issues.  It's been operational for a few weeks now.  While some games are glitchy, many run just fine and I'm now enjoying a whole new world of games and making up for lost time, having never owned an Amiga in the past.

Thanks to all who posted with suggestions.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Ha-thanks!  I'm working with a pair of Quickshots now, which have held up quite nicely over the years.  I've got a spare Atari 2600 Joystick which is currently connected to my original console from '81--Still alive and kicking.  Played Defender on it the other day!

I'll experiment with those settings if I can figure it out.  Thanks!  Wierd glitch on Turrican (but I think it's the ADF, not the device--Level 1-3, no object to shoot to open gate to level 2-1.  Thankfully there's a level skip in the trainer!

Turrican II rocks hard though.  Never played that one on any platform.