Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Hard Drive size limitations  (Read 5377 times)

Description:

Offline Etherweet

• Show only replies by Etherweet
Re: Amiga Hard Drive size limitations
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 06, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »
i think i know the answer already..

if i have an a2000 with a 2091 controller i cant do more than 512 mb on any drive no matter what size.

and yet another one - can you use different filesystems for each drive... like the original ffs on a 340 mb hard drive and nsd on a 4.3 gb on the same controller?

i'm thinking the answer is no to both.

i have a stock 2000hd / 2091 and a 3000t -040 - both with growing pains.
i am ok with mounting a linux server for storage space.

(also refitting an atx power supply to the 3000)

thanks

Offline Thomas

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
You can use as many different file systems as you can fit on your harddrives. But you can only use one version of the same file system. So if you've installed FastFileSystem on different harddrives, the highest version of FastFileSystem found is used for all harddrives. But you can use FFS, PFS, SFS all at the same time (on different partitions of course). And certainly higher versions of FastFileSystem still work with small drives.

A file system is identified by its identifier a.k.a. DosType. You can add different versions of the same file system if you assign different identifiers to them.

Offline Etherweet

• Show only replies by Etherweet
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
hmmmmm

right now i have an ancient 5 inch half height 340 mb drive as device 0.  the old clunker just wont die. so i have sys (dh0) on it.

then i have two ancient western digital 200 mb drives as dh1 (network) and dh2 (work)

holding device 3 is a seagate 9.3 gb drive.  i have a 500 mb partition on it but the rest is no mans land.

i tried 2 4 gb partitions, 8 500 mb partitions, etc using ffs that came with wb 3.1.

all failed except the 500 mb all by itself.

so now im tempted to try nsd, for example on the 9 gb. lets say 2 4.000 gb partitions.

maybe im missing the point on the exact geometry.  would 2 4gb partitions avoid the boundary issues or am i actually screwing up both partitions?

what im being thick headed about is... do i leave all the small drives as they are with ffs and ONLY try nsd on the 9 gb, or do i need to use nsd on ALL drives no matter what?

im not worried about experimenting because, yup, i have an ancient 150 mb 6150 drive and lots and lots of tape.

thanks again!

Offline curtis

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »
For some reason I've gotten it into my head that 1.3 and 2.x were limited to a total of 2Gb.

And I seem to remember a disk that came out for the 2000 for a 1.3 HD install/reinstall.

Curtis

Quote from: Thomas;687308
1.3 does not have any limit because it does not contain any drivers for harddrives. Limits are defined by the firmware of your harddrive controller.

2.04 does not contain HDD drivers, either.

2.05 is similar to 3.0, it contains the same scsi.device version (36).
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/