Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic the hedgehog?  (Read 14655 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Sonic the hedgehog?
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;674634
Classic isn't a problem, but you'll have to carefully rework the graphics (HAM just isn't an option here) down to a suitable number of colors and lowres. Probably not so easy to do without making it look crappy.
Hey, if the SMS/GG Sonic titles could look okay, an Amiga version easily can.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;674827
As for the fixation with rave/techno type music, Id hazzard a guess it stems from the fact that its easy to write and requires no real talent. It can also be written with small samples so has a small memory footprint.
(sorry, being that Ive been an actual musician for over 20 years I have a particular dislike of that sort of garbage :))
Heh, I hear you there ;D Though I'd also point out that rave/techno music is pretty well geared towards a four-channel wavetable chip, you can have three music loops going and one left over for sound effects without it being too noticeable.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;675003
When I was a lad we didnt have no fancy computers to make our music for us,..... and so on and so forth  :)
"Why, when I was a boy, we cut our tapes with scissors and strung together every note by hand! And by God, we liked it!"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;675607
I also wonder about things like using the CPU to mix the channels to give you eight instead of four like how OctaMED does it, could it be used in an action game like a platformer or is there too much going on already?
I'm told OctaMED is basically the exact limit of what you can do on an OCS Amiga for software mixing, but I'm kind of hopeful that if you're willing to settle for something slightly less advanced, you could make it work in a game environment. I've been toying with the idea for a while, thinking of mixing four software channels into two hardware channels, and have two left over for, say, drums and effects, but I've yet to get around to any serious coding on it. (I've also been thinking that limiting the software channels to simple looped waveforms, like the TurboGrafx or Konami SCC, would simplify things as well, but that does kind of limit your options, musically.)