Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How much are Amiga's worth?  (Read 2026 times)

Description:

Offline TumbleweedTopic starter

How much are Amiga's worth?
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »
Been watching this auction on eBay. £3k+ for a 30 year old computer.

A3000T, Cybervision64, CSMKII 060; A3000D, PicassoII, Z3 Fastlane; A2000D, 040, PicassoII; A4000D, A1200, Blizzard 030 MKIV  (not working - next project)

Offline NinjaCyborg

Re: How much are Amiga's worth?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Well it's an A4000T so it's super rare

Offline nbache

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
Not only that, it also includes a CSPPC (and CVPPC). PPC cards seem to fetch completely incredible prices.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 08:29:15 PM »
We’ve passed that period of cheap-because-obsolete and entered the era of expensive-because-vintage.

Offline TumbleweedTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
So like fine wine. Appreciates in value over time. It did look oike a very nice set up though. CSPPC plus RTG. Ive seen CSPPCs going for €2k+. With prices this high would it be viable to produce new baords like reamiga? I see there is a 68060 board - A3660 around; maybe there wil be a CSPPC at some point.
A3000T, Cybervision64, CSMKII 060; A3000D, PicassoII, Z3 Fastlane; A2000D, 040, PicassoII; A4000D, A1200, Blizzard 030 MKIV  (not working - next project)

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »
So like fine wine. Appreciates in value over time.
No. The opposite. Wine gets it increased value from the expectation of limited supply combined with growing demand in combination with a reputation of unrivaled quality.
Amigas getting more expensive because the demand for bubble devices are inflating the bubble universe of nostalgia.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 01:48:35 AM »
So like fine wine. Appreciates in value over time.
No. The opposite. Wine gets it increased value from the expectation of limited supply combined with growing demand in combination with a reputation of unrivaled quality.
Amigas getting more expensive because the demand for bubble devices are inflating the bubble universe of nostalgia.

I think both of those things can be true.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
Also the number of surviving machines in working condition is shrinking.
This is especially true for Amiga models that use surface mount capacitors and leakable batteries.

Public service announcement - since it can't be said enough:
Please get your Miggy recapped, and battery replaced, don't let these beautiful machines die prematurely.
Commodore was just like every other company in the world in the early 90's in that the first wave of surface mount caps have a limited life.
There are several places around that can replace your caps with high quality modern equivalents, or even better, polymer caps that will never leak.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
Just thinking about what I posted.... "prematurely"

Ha! Commodore never intended these things to last this long!
My A500 is 34 years old I think :D

Oh and BTW, to the OP, everything is "worth" whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Apparently at least a few people are willing to pay a huge amount for that A4000T.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:48:46 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
So like fine wine. Appreciates in value over time. It did look oike a very nice set up though. CSPPC plus RTG. Ive seen CSPPCs going for €2k+. With prices this high would it be viable to produce new baords like reamiga? I see there is a 68060 board - A3660 around; maybe there wil be a CSPPC at some point.

At that price, it hasn't really appreciated much. It looks like a bit of a steal (if you're one of the few people who would appreciate it).