Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Having fun with HAM8 videos @ 25 FPS for 3+ minutes  (Read 17649 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Having fun with HAM8 videos @ 25 FPS for 3+ minutes
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
I'm not convinced it is legitimate but it depends on the resolution. At 320*256@25fps would need around 2MB/s sustained write to chip ram. The footage looked rather higher resolution than this.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Having fun with HAM8 videos @ 25 FPS for 3+ minutes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a better compression scheme for HAM6/8 to make streaming them from disk less taxing. There might be a way of doing motion compensation to reduce the size

So I once thought about this back in the day when I had the blizzardppc but not the Bvision to go with it. The biggest problem is that you can't readily do simple change application to HAM frames as they just get messed up for all the classic reasons. With modern hardware however it ought to be possible to develop an encoder that can perform HAM simulation from RGB and generate differential frames within some sort of error limit. If playback is all we care about, it might not matter if we need a core i7 to do the encoding.
int p; // A