Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas and batteries  (Read 5274 times)

Description:

Offline DanDudeTopic starter

• Show only replies by DanDude
Amigas and batteries
« on: February 11, 2004, 05:00:36 PM »
A lot of people I'm seeing are trying to replace the leaking battery in their Amigas.  And I see some suggestions fly by as to how to remove the battery can actually do more damage to your motherboard than you think.  One of those examples is using a 500-600 watt iron to remove a battery!  Ever thought that battery could explode under intense heat?!

Since my experience in replacing batteries in many Amigas and pinball machines, I thought I pass on some important and safe tips for everyone to use.

First of all, you will need to remove all Zorro boards, power supply/disk drive cages and the motherboard from the case.  You simply cannot perform a good job without removing the motherboard from the case.

Second, grab a pair of wire-cutters and snip the legs of the battery as close the board as possible.  This way you can avoid using a high-powered iron and prevent damage to the motherboard from excessive heat.  Long or larger legs from components will need more heat to remove them.  Instead we shorten to reduce heat stress.

Third, while wearing eye protection (such as work goggles) use a toothbrush you don't need anymore and a little glass filled with 50% Isopropyl alcohol and 50% water to clean all the affected areas where the acid leaked.  Do not clean partially; clean ALL the areas where they have been leaked onto.  Even suspicious neighbor components should be cleaned.  Using alcohol neutralizes the acid from continuing to destroy components and the board itself.  Do NOT use baking soda!  Baking soda only absorbs any liquid and doesn't prevent acid from destroying additional components.  In addition, you have a bigger mess to deal with.

Then, using just isopropyl alcohol solution, rinse all affected areas.  Allow it to dry without any additional means.

Any additional components you see damaged with battery acid must be removed from the board.  Even if they work, they can fail in the weeks ahead.  Remember which component you removed so you can order and place new components on the board.  If you have a digital camera, take snapshots before removing them.  It benefits us techs to help you quickly identify before ordering.

When you get the new battery and components, remember to insert exactly they were set onto the board before.  Snapshots of your board before you attempt to repair do help as a guide.  Remove the remaining legs still on the board with a 20-30 watt soldering iron and a solder-sucking pen.  I find solder suckers very useful especially when removing leads.  If you wish to keep the battery away from the mother board, solder only 1 wire for each lead to the motherboard and the each polarity of the battery and store it in a sealed plastic container like a 35mm film container.  PLEASE REMEMBER THE CORRECT POLARITY OR THE BATTERY WILL OR EXPLODE AND/OR DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM!

Return the motherboard back into the case, the PSU/drives cage and Zorro cards.  You should have a working clock after rebooting or power-up reset.

(correction made with cleaning; sorry for the mix-up folks.)

If you have any questions, you can PM me here or if there's sugguestions you would like to share, you can reply here as well.
 :-)

DanDude
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline voxel

• Show only replies by voxel
Re: Amigas and batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
Very good tutorial :-) I wont have made it better.

BTW, a 40 watts de/soldering iron is sufficient for most solders on Amiga motheboards.

Beware to not harm any of the MB traces with the wire cutters as some are difficult to repair!
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 07:40:45 PM »
Personally, I did it the lazy (easy and even safer way) of snipping the legs as close to the original battery as possible.

Then, after carefully cleaning the area, I left the original legs on the motherboard.  I soldered the new battery's legs to the legs of the old one (already on the mainboard).  This way, I could keep a heat-sink gripper thing on the old legs, and direct heat away from the mainboard.  This allowed me to solder in the new battery in a higher position than the old one was at, minimizing the potential for troubles in a few years, when the new battery fails...  It doesn't look as pretty as some jobs, but it's effective, and
I didn't need any heat at all near my mainboard.  ;-)

Offline Eco

• Show only replies by Eco
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 08:23:47 PM »
Wow, nice and exact tutorial. I changed the battery on my A500+ in a few moments with a 25w iron, no leg snapping included (it was barely soldered in anyway). Hadn't quite leaked yet, but was "furry" all around.

If there seems to be a lot of solder or leakage.. better do as the man says  :-D
Finland.. where polar bears roam the streets

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »
Leaving the old legs on the motherboard isn't quite a good idea.  If you accidentally hit your battery, you have to go back and resolder once you find out that your clock doesn't keep time anymore.  You would have to disassemble your entire Amiga just to fix the battery again.  

If you like, put the new battery a sealed container and solder the wires from the battery directly to the motherboard.  From there you only need to heat up that area one last time and then forget it.   :-)  You can have the wires as long as you want to place the battery in farthest corner of your Amiga.
#AmIRC
irc2.beyondirc.net

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »
Agreed.  Removing components first before desoldering the legs reduces time to remove as well as reduce heat stress to the motherboard since any component can act as a heatsink.
#AmIRC
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:33:55 AM »
Hi DanDude,

WRONG !!!!

If any of you guys want to know the correct way to remove a battery from an Amiga motherboard, just email me and I will let you know.  I am a Class 4 Electronics Assembler and do this kind of stuff for a living.  I have worked on Military equipment and medical equipment and I have Government clearance.  I am not bragging when I tell you that when it comes to electronics assembly, I am one of the best in the world.  I am half English and half German and I take great pride in my European heritage.  As most intelligent people know, the English and Germans have very high quality standards and produce some of the best stuff in the world.   :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:39:48 AM »
The Amiga does NOT need a battery, so do not replace it.  Just type in the correct time and date at bootup.  As long as your Amiga is on it will keep the correct time and date.  Only lazy people need a battery in their Amiga computer, because they are too lazy to type in the correct time and date at bootup.   :roll:
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 08:39:59 AM »
"Jeeesus ay christ! I think you got a hard-on!" ( Quote from Full metal jacket. )

I think its safe to go about it the way dandude described... I don´t have any "Government clearence" but I have worked on military equipment... :)

I guess if you want to strip your Amiga of a vital function, then yes, desolder the battery and type it in manually... For all you guys that actually WANT to put in a new battery to avoid the need to manually enter time and date every time you start your machine, go right ahead! I don´t think you will get the Doomie curse if you do... :)
\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:29:08 AM »

BoingBoss wrote:
Hi DanDude,

As most intelligent people know, the English and Germans have very high quality standards and produce some of the best stuff in the world.   :-D

Hmm, like the Austin Allegro?  My Wolfsburg built Golf GTi that broke down every three months (you could set your watch by it)?  Or perhaps David Coulthard and Kimmi Raikkonen's Ilmor Mercedes engines that seem to blow every Grand Prix?  

You might also be interested in the latest JD Power reliability indexes that show many of the German brands suffering some alarming reliability problems...
Cecilia for President

Offline miles

• Show only replies by miles
    • http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~miles.j
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 09:32:38 AM »
There is also a great guide here:

http://amiga.serveftp.net/
AMIGA 3000dT 060~66mhz RAM: *128*Mb/CyberVision64: *4*Mb/*18*Gb SCSI HDDs CD ROM CD-RW
Scanjet 5p/ZIP *100*/Canon BJC3000/Casio QV100 camera/Multiface 3/A2065/Toccata  
Operating system AMiGA Workbench 3.5.2

Offline miles

• Show only replies by miles
    • http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~miles.j
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 09:43:24 AM »

BoingBoss wrote:
The Amiga does NOT need a battery, so do not replace it.  Just type in the correct time and date at bootup.  As long as your Amiga is on it will keep the correct time and date.  Only lazy people need a battery in their Amiga computer, because they are too lazy to type in the correct time and date at bootup.   :roll:

The Amiga 3000 does INDEED need a battery.  It holds SCSI hard drive settings.  If they are not set correctly the Amiga 3000 MAY refuse to boot, have slow transfers or act strange depending on what drives are in the system.  Mine was unstable until Synchronous Transfer was set.  The battery also holds the settings for multiple LUNs and slow spinup as well as the Time and Date.

As posted above here:
http://amiga.serveftp.net/
is a site that has a guide to battery replacement by someone who does know!
AMIGA 3000dT 060~66mhz RAM: *128*Mb/CyberVision64: *4*Mb/*18*Gb SCSI HDDs CD ROM CD-RW
Scanjet 5p/ZIP *100*/Canon BJC3000/Casio QV100 camera/Multiface 3/A2065/Toccata  
Operating system AMiGA Workbench 3.5.2

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »
I have to agree on the A3000 needing a battery. It's the only Amiga which uses it for something more, other than keeping correct date and time.

Depending on the SCSI device(s) connected to the on-board A3000 SCSI controller, appropriate settings need to be made such as sync/async transfer enable/disable, Fast SCSI modes enable/disable, etc., etc. Basically, if a device in your chain does not like the default settings, your Amiga 3000 may refuse to boot and would not comply, unless those NVRam SCSI settings are manipulated in such way that suits your devices. Not being able to keep these settings after powering off is a major pain in the butt. :-)

As far as other Amigas go, battery is not really needed, unless you wanna have the right time, each time you power up your machine.

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 07:56:53 PM »
from BoingBoss:
WRONG !!!!...I am one of the best in the world...

Why don't you post it to the public and we'll judge you.
#AmIRC
irc2.beyondirc.net

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 07:58:17 PM »
from BoingBoss:
The Amiga does NOT need a battery...

WRONG!!  Every Amiga with a battery-operated clock and battery-backed settings DOES need a battery no matter what.  SCSI settings need to be saved after power is removed.

Just type in the correct time and date at bootup....Only lazy people need a battery in their Amiga computer, because they are too lazy to type in the correct time and date at bootup

OK, go ahead with yours.  But if I have to turn off and on my Amiga and have to set it, I think that's just a waste of time espcially when your Amiga locks up or fails to reboot via FASTROM.  I've been down that alley 734 times and didn't like one bit.  Don't you think?  Oh, wait...you can't think.
#AmIRC
irc2.beyondirc.net