Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Incredibly Lucky Weekend Haul  (Read 5338 times)

Description:

Offline fordpTopic starter

• Show only replies by fordp
Incredibly Lucky Weekend Haul
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
So I found an Amiga 1200 with an uninstalled 030 accelerator, which I thought was a good deal. As it turned out there were several other Amiga's available, so I picked them up as well. What I assumed I was coming home with was three A1200's, three A500's, and the accelerator. I was very wrong, very surprised, and still a bit in shock. This is what I ended up with:

1 x E-Matrix 1230-50
2 x Amiga 1200HD US w/Phase5 Blizzard 1260 + SCSI kit
1 x Amiga 1200 (with PCI components label) w/Phase5 Blizzard 1260 + SCSI kit
1 x A500 rev5, A501, 1MB Agnus
1 x A500 rev5, A501, 1MB Agnus, w/Viper 520-33-CD
1 x A500 rev5, A501, 1MB Agnus w/Mtec 68020 1/4MB
1 x MV1200 Scandoubler/Flicker Fixer (If I've matched it to BBOAH correction)
1 x ScanMagic Scandoubler

Not to mention a collection of books, manuals, cables, and misc components.

I also have a 'mystery' power supply that google claims is an A1200 power supply, but not like any I've seen. (Of course, I've never owned an A1200 before.) Unlike I'd expect, it is an all black plastic case, marked as made by Commodore, claims to be 25W with p/n 391029-21.

Anyway, I have several weeks of cleaning, and testing ahead of me, and this is more loot than my wife is going to let me keep around the house, so some of it should end up in the market.

Offline Tension

Re: Incredibly Lucky Weekend Haul
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
dont suppose you have an a4000 keyboard and a decent amiga mouse?

Offline digiflip

• Show only replies by digiflip
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
i might be interested in one of your blizzards with scsi kit or just scsi kit if wont to keep them
Neptuno, Ultimate MiSTer, vidor Replay, a500+ pistorming, a1200 stock, V4 SA

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
I'd also be interested in one of the scsi kits too.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Damiga

• Show only replies by Damiga
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
Wow!

I'm interested in hearing more about the deal =)
Was the seller aware of what he actually sold or did you just get lucky on a garage sale or something?
Are you willing to reaveal how much you paid?

Can we have pictures? =)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
It's not fair. How come everyone else finds miggies in the trash but i never do. There are people on here who find A4000's! What am i doing wrong?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Astral

• Show only replies by Astral
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;646313
How come everyone else finds miggies in the trash but i never do.  What am i doing wrong?

Do you ever look?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
No...   :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;646330
No...   :(

LOL, I do a craigslist search for "Amiga" almost every day, and come up with nada.  Like hen's teeth in the DC area!  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
@Tension, afraid no big-box keyboards at all, and the only the one mouse per system.

@digiflip, @nicholas I've noted your interest. I'm not ready to sell them just yet, I want to clean up the systems, figure out how to bundle, and ship, them figure out which ones I should keep, etc.

@Kesa, I've always felt the same way when I've read these posts. All I can say is I got plain lucky. I've tried to pick up a few 040 boards in the past and never found one at a price point I'd been willing to pay.

@damiga. Pictures are forthcoming. Give me a few days.

I prefer not to reveal what I've spent, but lets say that I hunted around prices, and I considered the price fair for 3 stock A1200s, 3 stock A500s, and 1 68030 accellerator with some extra thrown in for the extra unidentified bits.

I originally suspected the guy was a ex-amiga user, given what he had on hand, and the way he responded to inquiries. It wasn't until I picked them up I realized this guy hadn't really ever used an Amiga. I wasn't sure if this was good, or bad.

As it turned out, the guy had books, an original 'Amiga Magic' box, discs, a bunch of adapters, so I wasn't very concerned. As I'm loading up the books, a manual for the Blizzard 1260 fell out. I commented how /that/ would be a great find. He didn't seem to understand, now I knew this guy had no idea. So I asked how he got them. Apparently he got them for _free_ for doing a favor for somebody. I guess this stuff has just been passed around by people who didn't know what they were for awhile.

It's a decent drive home, so I stop for dinner, by the time I get home, and get all this in the house its 8:30PM or so. So I pull first A1200 out of the box, notice the expansion port cover is bowed out, think to myself, "well thats cool, there's something in there." and pop it open. Giant grey ceramic square. "No... way..." I say out loud. The wife asks whats wrong. No answer. I remove the simm covering the chip number, 68060 it says on it. "This thing has an 060 accelerator", I tell the wife, or perhaps the room in general. "That's good isn't it?", she asks. "uh... yeah..."

So I gather my wits after realizing I just got extraordinarily lucky. I pull out A1200 #2. It's in good shape, the expansion port is sitting flush, and why shouldn't it be, I have an 060 in one machine, and an 030 sitting in bubble wrap, what are the odds that this thing has much of anything in it. I pop off the cover. Giant grey ceramic square."No f'in way", I say. The wife had left the room by now. This can't be right I think, so I check the chip number on this one too. 68060 it says. I go find my wife to tell her there is two of them, which is silly, cause she really doesn't care anymore that there are two 68060's than if there were two left handed smoke shifters, but I had to tell someone.

Ok, back to business, there is no way there is anything interesting left in this lot. How could there possible be. Amiga 1200 #3, its a bit yellowed, it probably PAL, not sure (I'm still not sure, I haven't checked, I mean it seems inconsequential at the moment.) The expansion port cover falls off, there is a DB25 on a ribbon cable hanging out of the back. The box isn't in terrible shape, but it has seen better days. I flip it over. Giant grey ceramic square. I put the cover back on. I box up all three machines. It was time to stop tempting fate, and get a drink. The rest of the unboxing would have to wait.

TL;DR. Wife convinced me to risk the money on six Amiga's. First three amiga's were filled with diamonds. Decided best course of action was to drink heavily.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;646356
LOL, I do a craigslist search for "Amiga" almost every day, and come up with nada.  Like hen's teeth in the DC area!  :(

I too hit Craigslist on a daily basis. Must be to many of us in this (D.C.) area.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »

I do exactly the same, craigslist, ebay everyday. Lost countless ebay auctions. (a****a, whoever you are, stop buying everything I want.) My A2000 came from craigslist, I probably payed slightly to much for it. I've found a few A500's, usually ignore them. (With the new three, I now have five 'spare', time to thin them out.) An occasional CD32 has tempted me, but I resisted. probably in four months I've seen 6 craigslist postings. Then I stumbled upon this entirely by mistake when comcast changed my IP, and craigslist bumped into the wrong, but nearby region.

Keep up the hunt.

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
LOL, I do a craigslist search for "Amiga" almost every day, and come up with nada. Like hen's teeth in the DC area! :(

you serious? I guess us europeans are in luck. even in our relatively small country there are around ten a1200's for sale on just one advertising site. not exactly what you'd call bargains but still, availability is no issue here.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
Yea, I do am Amiga search on the Raleigh/Durham Craigslist every other day or so and rarely does anything ever show up. I'll get a Commodore 64 or Vic-20 show up here and there. Anytime an Amiga does appear the person wants ebay prices for it.

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
Treasure in the DC area
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »

I'm in the DC area and struck gold twice.  First time, browsing in a pawn shop, I saw an Amiga 2500 box, with no keyboard, mouse or cables.  The owner did not know what it was or what to do with it.  I traded him 3 obsoleted PC compatible computers which was given away from my office for it.  That made more sense to him.  Anyway, I brought the box home.  Besides the A2630 accelerator, it had the Commodore Scan Doubler card and a 8088 Bridgeboard in it.  Should have suspected it when I noticed it had a 5.25" floppy drive built in.  The hard drive was small, only 52 MB.  But the accelerator had 4 MB of RAM on it.

Second time, I saw an auction on EBay.  The guy was selling his A500 kit for 1 cent (buy it now).  He basically wanted to make space in his garage.  So I bit.  When I got there, I was glad I had a van.  That A500 was loaded to the gills: GVP A530 (8 MB RAM, 120 MB HD), ScanDoubler, 2 MB Chip RAM, 1.3/2.1 ROM Switcher, boxes of software and parts.  The parts included a second GVP A530 brand-new in box, a third GVP A530 parts only, a parts only A500, Commodore 1942 bi-sync monitor, a joystick, extra cables, extra 3.5" external drives, an extra scan-doubler, extra A500 keyboard and I still have not gone through all the boxes.

I did not have too much space myself, so I put an ad in craigslist and got rid of my Mac collection (mostly 680x0's and a couple early PowerPC's).  Made some Mac-head real happy.  But I was much happier with my expanded Amiga collection.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz