Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "most ambitious project" candidate?  (Read 5801 times)

Description:

Offline amyrenTopic starter

• Show only replies by amyren
"most ambitious project" candidate?
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
I just read an announcement about Tilera's new 100 core CPU, the Tile-Gx.
Wouldnt porting OS4 to this CPU be a worthy candidate to the speculations around Hyperions secret "most amitious project"?

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
Re: "most ambitious project" candidate?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »
the user oriented applications are mostly sequential programs in nature, having a 100 cores won't help much for the desktop market.

quote frmo the wikipedia entry : :rtfm:

Their primary market for this new chip, expected to begin shipping in 2011, is for commercial applications such as web indexing and search engine use.

I'm sure frieden brothers are keeping their hands busy for something more useful. :afro:
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
Um.....no.

Nevermind the fact that OS4.X has no SMP support (yet.....), we Amigans would never get anything quite so....... "cool".

I see us getting a port to that CPU, oh, in about 20-30 years.

Assuming that AmigaOS is still around that is.......

[EDIT] - Damn, CountZero beat me to it and a lot more tactfully than I did, I might add. ;)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Tension

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »
Brace yourself for disappointment re the "most ambitious project"

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Tension;528053
Brace yourself for disappointment re the "most ambitious project"

@ Tension

Amiga Anywhere for OS4.X? :lol:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:21:59 PM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline amyrenTopic starter

• Show only replies by amyren
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
Nobody exept Hyperion themself knows which direction they are going. But I noticed that multi-core was mentioned on the roadmap for OS4.2.

I just though that it would be cool to have a cpu for the Amiga that was ahead of the intels again.
In the published article I read, it was also mentioned that Microsoft is not going to use this CPU in Windows 7, because they are already working on a CPU with 80 cores - to be released in about 5 years.
So in a way it will be like beating M$/intel at their own game:)
If the statement of having 100 cores will not help the desktop market is true, why the 80 core cpu for windows in 5 years?

No matter if OS4 will be able benefit from all the 100 cores, it should still be much faster than any Amiga HW ever seen before.

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 02:38:24 PM »
There are so many threads about which HW platform might be a candidate for this "ambitious project" that we may have already discussed the answer.
I haven't read them all, but as Tension says "brace yourselves for disappointment".

Taking into account that x86 has been ruled out, I decided to Google for PPC on x86. A number of PPC processor boards were returned. These seem to slot onto x86 PCI/PCIe motherboards giving PPC compatibility.

Does anyone here have an informed opinion as to whether this would be a viable option for getting OS onto "mainstream HW"?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:57:58 PM by ddniUK »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »
The Frieden Brothers are fairly conservative in their approach, so I wouldn't expect a major shift in direction or emphasis.  I concur, everyone who isn't already in the Frieden camp will find the "most ambitious project" a great disappointment, whilst those that are in the Frieden camp will become very excited about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tension

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
Quote from: ddniUK;528073

Taking into account that x86 has been ruled out,

When did this happen??  If true, that is really sad!! The ONLY way the Amiga could still be at all viable is if it went x86.  Any other platform is a dead end.  

What a waste...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
Quote from: Tension;528079
When did this happen??  If true, that is really sad!! The ONLY way the Amiga could still be at all viable is if it went x86.  Any other platform is a dead end.  

What a waste...

You could argue that x86 != AMD64 ;)
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
Is there an anouncement from Hyperion mentioning the x86 has been ruled out?  Didn`t seem to mention much about it at AmiWest.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »
Yes, if you dig into the posts on Amigaworld.net you can find a statement from Rigo (some kind of developer of AmigaOS, not that Simon, sorry :) ) that x86 AND Mac Mini is ruled out (this statement was made last week).

Personally if the next AmigaOS system is another 1000 dollar sub 1 GHz system you can have your next gen AmigaOS system shoved up where the sun never shines... mildly put :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:53:32 PM by cv643d »
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Tension

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;528084
Yes, if you dig into the posts on Amigaworld.net you can find a statement from Rigo (some kind of developer of AmigaOS, Simon Goodwin from Amiga Format if that rings a bell) that x86 AND Mac Mini is ruled out (this statement was made last week).

Personally if the next AmigaOS system is another 1000 dollar sub 1 GHz system you can have your next gen AmigaOS system shoved up where the sun never shines... mildly put :)

My thoughts entirely.

Enough is enough.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Rob

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;528084
Yes, if you dig into the posts on Amigaworld.net you can find a statement from Rigo (some kind of developer of AmigaOS, Simon Goodwin from Amiga Format if that rings a bell) that x86 AND Mac Mini is ruled out (this statement was made last week).

Rigo is Simon Archer.

Just did a search on Simon N Goodwin and it turns out that he's been working for Code Masters since 2003.  I wasn't aware that he'd worked for Amiga Inc between 2000-2002.

I wonder if he'd do a port of Gold Mine for OS4. :)