Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) Amiga.org mockup.  (Read 4886 times)

Description:

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
Re: (RFD) Amiga.org mockup.
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 07, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
@Wayne

I agree totally on the need for the change.  Like most of us here, I look for content not necessarily presentation. Sorta like, she has a great personality, but she ain't much to look at.:-D  

The Dawg  

Note:  The mockup looks fine.
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline benJamin

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
Whilst I agree that a fresh lick of paint would do wonders, I think the current site (viewed in Fx3.5 here) looks more professional.

If there are Smarty templates involved, is it possible to set the templates directory to a different target for recognised legacy browsers?  Sure, it's an extra set to maintain, but in the long run, probably easier to do so than trying to do it all in the one template and satisfy every browser and quirks mode in regular circulation.

And the legacy site would render better on some phones.

jJ
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »
Who cares what it looks like? Surely the important thing right now is for the site to carry on while retaining as much functionality as possible.

Edit - no, functionality is the wrong word. It is more important for the *user base* to be retained.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
Since you guys are so caught up on being backwards compatible with the classic Amiga, I thought I'd build a header just for you...

Hahahaha...

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
The mock up look fine, and the content/user base is the important thing, but don't kid yourself... The current design looks very professional.   It's look has held up VERY well.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
According to the poll most people do not want backward compatibility. Perhaps the zealots are just more vocal.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

buzz wrote:
According to the poll most people do not want backward compatibility. Perhaps the zealots are just more vocal.

Absolutely true, and I'm killing myself mentally trying to bend over backwards for them, because I know what a villain they make me out to be any time anything changes.. :)

That being said, I may end up shelving classic compatibility, which really doesn't matter as long as the data and accounts are protected, right?

Wayne

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
Wayne wrote:
I may end up shelving classic compatibility, which really doesn't matter as long as the data and accounts are protected, right?

Agreed 100%. And BTW, I really like the topaz header ;-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
It looks quite ok, but I really hate the shade of blue in the header...
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
I remember when I first saw amiga.org as it looks now, I remember thinking what great care and attention to detail had been taken in it's design.  To this day the site has aged gracefully, and looks as good now as it always did.

Back then most sites worked in ibrowse.

But times change, software always needs updating and like the others have said it's only a matter of time until the script kiddies home in on you.  Whilst I wouldn't like to see amiga.org go all "web 2.0" (I don't want to have to wait 20 seconds when I mouseover a menu i.e. ebay) I see no reason why it should not use an up-to-date markup.

There is no reason bash your head against a brick wall Wayne, make it so it's easy to apply updates and then focus on the sites content.

Trying to support browsers that can't support themselvs and are no good for anything else will just drain the life out of you that makes this place great.  Don't get me wrong, my amiga is staying but the days I fire up ibrowse or aweb are gone as of a couple of years ago.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:20 PM »
It looks quite ok, but I really hate the shade of blue in the header...

I agree. Keep the current header image, do what you want with the rest.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
I like the new mockup, it appears to be viewable on everything from A600s to iPhones, that's good for all for sure.  PHP4 is dieing, I still have a server running it but we're moving our main website to Drupal from a custom made system, once that conversion is complete the server goes to Leopard and PHP 4 is history...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Since you guys are so caught up on being backwards compatible with the classic Amiga, I thought I'd build a header just for you...

Hahahaha...

Probably get slammed for this, but I actually think that is pretty awesome.  

A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »

AmigaHeretic wrote:
Probably get slammed for this.

You asked for it... /slam... HERETIC!!!!

:python:  :laughing:

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:45 PM »

Wayne wrote:

(...)

What that means is that to get it to look right on both, I've got to use both the td align tag AND the CSS, which both confuses the hell out of browsers AND makes for a slow site.

Wayne

This whole subject you raised made me think : The current site is a hell of a GOOD design : It looks good on Miggies AND on brand new iPhones running bleeding edge xhtml rendering engines..! Remind me again why is it that you want to change it ? :) I'm kidding, I read all your related posts

At best, you're going to end up w/ a dual template, a table-based one for Amiga user-agents and a xhtml-kosher (Hallal, if you wish) one for everybody else... Drupal will let you direct your users to user-agenbt defined *themes* but this is a HELL to maintain, I predict.

Much better IMO would be to code the xhtml so semantically correctly that it would make sense even on CSS-impaired browsers, (top-middle-bottom, information flows - BTW table ARE admittable to display table-based content, like forum subject lists) but then A-Users would have to cope w/ the idea that the viewing experience is very different depending on the platform. This is what I would go for, but then again, I don't remember the last time I came here using iBrowse.. I'm going to install it now on UAE to check my latest designs.

One last thing : I REALLY like the current design. The masthead. The bullets. The icons. It's creative, Amiga-y, compact, easy on the eyes. The typographic convention, the color chart, this is lovingly crafted professional work.
If you're going to change it you might as well come with something better ;) And (this is my personal copyrighted content-protected opinion) the new mockup is nowhere near.

One side note : You should do your mockups in a drawing package, *much* simpler for you to adjust things based on feedback. If you don't know it yet may I suggest give inkscape (veeery powerful & simple vector package, kinda like what we waited in vain to get on the Amiga, but I digress) a try, or directly in The Gimp.

My point : If you're going to change anything, don't go for a table-based design with CSS hacks, because that's what we have now, and it works wonderfully, bravo. To code this way again *will* eventuelly break the upgrade path of all modern CMSes, and we'll have the same PB in 2, 4 years. Again.

Oh, and Drupal is an excellent choice AFAIC.

Thank you very much Wayne, you're doing a great job running this site.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

AmigaHeretic wrote:

Wayne wrote:

Hahahaha...

Probably get slammed for this, but I actually think that is pretty awesome.  

I agree, I think it is quite apt :)
int p; // A