Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troubles with x-surf 100 and Rapid Road  (Read 4468 times)

Description:

Offline bellerTopic starter

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
Troubles with x-surf 100 and Rapid Road
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
Getting my A4000 back up and running and found my old x-surf was no longer sending its autoconfig so I ordered a new x-surf 100 and Rapid Road from AmigaKit.  After hours of attempts yesterday neither is giving me signs of working.  I've upgraded MUI, looked for more recent versions of the software provided by Individual Computers and AmigaKit and I have several repeatable problems.  I should add that loading Trident for USB, selecting the provided driver and attempting to put the driver online, as required, immediately crashes the system.

I have an older version of Miami that fails to connect and using EasyNet trouble shooting I'm told my bdsocket.library is missing or wrong version.  Since I don't see this file in the library or on the system I'm a bit stumped.  Is this an installed file?

Any experts that can give me a clue as to how to proceed?  The system reports the board in show config as present....

Thanks!

• S.A.C.C.
Re: Troubles with x-surf 100 and Rapid Road
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
Problem looks partly solved.  I downloaded the demo version of RoadShow and it DHCP blasted its way to the Internet on my Cable box!

I first removed the RapidRoad card before attempting to go back on line.  Now to get the latest Poseidon software  to get the USB going....

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:37:15 PM »
I had the exact same problem with my RapidRoad not working on my XSurf-100 in my A4000 and no matter what I tried I couldn’t get it to work ...Poseidon always found it as working under ‘controllers’ though

after nearly sending it in to Individual Computers for repair I realaized I had an empty clock port on my Buddha IDE controller so installed the RapidRod on it and bang she’s working great now

So for me anyhow the issue was on the XSurf-100 side....let us know what your findings are once you finally get your RapidRoad working
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

The following users thanked this post: beller

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
@klx300r

after nearly sending it in to Individual Computers for repair I realaized I had an empty clock port on my Buddha IDE controller so installed the RapidRoad on it and bang she’s working great now

That does not bode well for a future purchase. I have little interest in the ethernet functionality of the XSurf-100 and would have only bought it for hi-speed (relatively speaking) USB usage with the RapidRoad. I have no clock ports as a back up and I have no assurance from AmigaKit that the one on the Prisma Megamix is compatible with the Rapid Road board (I don't mean that it is possible to sit in the same Zorro space I mean is it able to be used to connect the RapidRoad rather than the XSurf-100)! That would actually be my prefered option (and from your comments actually with less risk of technical difficulties and conflictions) but until I know that you can run a RapidRoad off the clockport of a Prisma Megamix I am not biting :-(
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

guest11527

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
So for me anyhow the issue was on the XSurf-100 side....let us know what your findings are once you finally get your RapidRoad working
Did you try jumpering it to Z2? DMA on Z3 machines does not work with old Buster versions.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
but until I know that you can run a RapidRoad off the clockport of a Prisma Megamix I am not biting :-(

Maybe AmigaKit would pay me to test a RapidRoad board with a Prisma Megamix? I can only assume they are too busy to test what in my view is a unique selling point to those of us that don't need ethernet but would like an MP3 card and USB  ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:48:11 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline klx300r

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
@klx300r

after nearly sending it in to Individual Computers for repair I realaized I had an empty clock port on my Buddha IDE controller so installed the RapidRoad on it and bang she’s working great now

That does not bode well for a future purchase. I have little interest in the ethernet functionality of the XSurf-100 and would have only bought it for hi-speed (relatively speaking) USB usage with the RapidRoad. I have no clock ports as a back up and I have no assurance from AmigaKit that the one on the Prisma Megamix is compatible with the Rapid Road board (I don't mean that it is possible to sit in the same Zorro space I mean is it able to be used to connect the RapidRoad rather than the XSurf-100)! That would actually be my prefered option (and from your comments actually with less risk of technical difficulties and conflictions) but until I know that you can run a RapidRoad off the clockport of a Prisma Megamix I am not biting :-(
been asking the same question since the Prisma was first announced and like you...only silence ::) ..oh well lucky my Buddha 20th ann edition has a clockport that works ;)

Offline klx300r

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »
Did you try jumpering it to Z2? DMA on Z3 machines does not work with old Buster versions.
yup I did at first as per Jens instructions and later I actually upgraded my Buster but still no go to get my RR working with my X-Surf-100 :(

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
@klx300r

I guess the Buddha IDE controller plus RapidRoad is the combo to get in my situation then? It's cheaper that way but how much slower is it 'clockport' mode than Zorro mode. I would have only used it in PIO mode on Zorro III as DMA mode is not possible with the on board SCSI of the A4000T :-( But maybe that's only relevant for the DENEB (never found one of those).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:27:33 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
Do you have an Comodore 3640 CPU-Card installed? There were some issues with that as far as I remember.... if so, could you test with another CPU-Board ?
This combination runs fine here with a Cyberstorm PPC.....
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
I have the XSurf 100 and Rapid Road,and it works pretty well in my A4000. I did have to download the "alternate" drivers on icomp.de website to get it to work well. Do you have the power properly going to the Rapid Road?

• S.A.C.C.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »
Well after beating up the software I went into the machine this afternoon and made sure all the ram was fully in place, put a bit of pressure on the processor board to make sure it was seated and then blew the heck out of the ram area with some canned air.  Bottom line, the X-Surf 100 is on the net!

Now to work on the USB...

Bob

• S.A.C.C.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
And now the USB is working on the Rapid Road...turns out the key was the alternate drivers Jens posted with the Poseidon software...

Plugged in a 4 GB compact flash and backed up my A4000 hard drive with GBs to spare!