Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Latest G4's running at 1.43Hhz  (Read 10365 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Latest G4's running at 1.43Hhz
« Reply #74 from previous page: February 08, 2003, 11:17:13 PM »
if they switched to say X86-64 or Itanium... they would be alot more appealing... I'd probably buy one... even though the cost would be higher... It'd be a nice stable OS...and decent well supported hardware..

I dont care that much what CPU i'm running on as long as its fast and reliable... I'd like to see apple move to a faster chip ... it would bring them into bieng viable as workstations.

so what about PowerPC 970?
whats wrong with that?

Offline Kurt

• Show only replies by Kurt
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2003, 04:46:34 AM »
Ignore Marktime he is a MorphOS Dude
The $499 price he keeps quoting is obsolete and HE KNOWS IT!!!!

His hope and the other Morphos dudes hope if they keep bashing Amiga Inc and the Amiga one you will go running out to buy a Pegasos. (ohh they are the nice guys they care about us) They Keep promoting the LICENSING myth knowing full well that it is a load of bull and that GENESI is the the ONE and only reason AOS4 is not available for GREX and Pegasos.

Get a life I understand you have your prefered OS But you have to question why a company rather than promoting it's pluses has to constantly lie about the competition.

I would rather cosy up to M$ than these guy's

Kurt

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2003, 04:50:16 AM »
so what about PowerPC 970?

will run at 2ghz when everyone else is at 5ghz...(and no them bieng PPC wont save them X86-64 is very comparale to PPC and may very well beat the PPC970 clock-for-clock)
will cost more.
no future... just like all desktop punypc....

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2003, 05:54:17 AM »
will run at 2ghz when everyone else is at 5ghz...(and no them bieng PPC wont save them X86-64 is very comparale to PPC and may very well beat the PPC970 clock-for-clock)
will cost more.
no future... just like all desktop punypc....

Get a Life why dont you.

Your nothing but a Ghz fool.

Just cos there are faster cpu's it does not mean you must have it.

There are millions of ppl useing 500Mhz pc's & below & are very happy to do so.

All you seem to care about is Mhz/Ghz & not much else.

If you want to keep replacing your cpu at every speed jump then fine.

& no everyone else will not be running at 5Ghz as as most dont need 5Ghz & will be still useing 1 to 2 Ghz.

The mount of times i have been playing online & see the specs of the other players & see 333 to 500Mhz alot of the time.

I see many ppl who say but x86 is at 2Ghz blah blah blah but yet they are only on a 500Mhz cpu them selfs.

Only brain washed ppl like you will keep chaseing the Ghz, not cos you need it, just because its there.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2003, 06:45:06 AM »
Alkemyst  my point revolves around apps like Shake that apple owns, and no shake dosent run well on a 500mhz punypc.
and also the point that apples price's are very high and performance extremely low..

and X86 isnt at 2ghz its at 3ghz with hyperthreading.

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2003, 06:50:21 AM »

Ignore Marktime he is a MorphOS Dude
The $499 price he keeps quoting is obsolete and HE KNOWS IT!!!!

It seems to be the price (actually $495) on their website, systems with the board are $799 so I'm not sure how much more you think it is then $495, could you give us a source for your pricing, since the Terrasoft site disagrees with you????

They Keep promoting the LICENSING myth knowing full well that it is a load of bull and that GENESI is the ONE and only reason AOS4 is not available for GREX and Pegasos.

That theory would hold lots more water if we hadnt heard from the manufacturers of the Barbie PPC board and other PPC manufacturers the same thing about A0S4.  The reason the OS isnt going to be on anything but "Amiga One" is the dongle ROM, pure and simple.  If they had used an external USB dongle, the protection would have been the same for pirating (the "official" reason for the dongle rom), other manufactures could have bought the OS for their boards, Terrasoft might have even put it on Apple hardware like they do their YDL.   Imac with AmigaOS 4.0 anyone, Powerbook with AmigaOS 4.0 sound interesting???   The only one that profits from the closed AmigaOne system is Eyetech, who dont have to compete with anyone for Amiga OS 4.0 compatible boards, everyone else loses.
    -Tig

Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2003, 06:57:34 AM »
by mips_proc on 2003/2/9 6:45:06

Alkemyst my point revolves around apps like Shake that apple owns, and no shake dosent run well on a 500mhz punypc.
and also the point that apples price's are very high and performance extremely low..

and X86 isnt at 2ghz its at 3ghz with hyperthreading.

We dont care how well apple SW runs on it.
We care how well Aos & Aos SW runs on it.

Oh & We dont care how fast the x86 is
Aos4 will not run on it so its no use to us.

PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2003, 07:28:08 AM »
@Kurt

I'm not a MorphOS dude.  In fact, I'm not totally convinced that MorphOS will be successful.  I do think Genesi knows this communities dynamics better, but on the other hand, Amiga, Inc is holding most of the cards.  I don't know who will prevail in the end, only that it should be interesting.

The Terrasoftsolutions website has changed from $499 to 'being revised'....this is a recent thing, and I talked about it in another post.

Still it isn't expected to change much....might go down, probably up, but not by more than 50 dollars according to an e-mail from Terrasoft only last week.

Whatever the final price is, I will post it when its known, and I will talk about the new price gap.
Prices fluctuate....a significant gap in pricing, as existed last week, is worth noting...if the new price gap is significantly less, than that is very good (especially if the gap has decreased because the AmigaOne pricing is less...if its just a rise in the terrasoft price, then that is useless to this community).  If its still very large difference, then I will certainly make it known.  As I would talk about the pegasos board, if and when Genesi gives us some info about their G4 solution.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2003, 09:42:02 AM »

As for the Apple overclocking issue (from Page 1), I thought one of the things people were complaining about was the option for haveing a cool-running, very reliable system, as opposed to those "haphazard" X86 systems built to last 6 months.

Careful with that type of generalisation… IF that case were true, there would be a massive product returns (i.e. ~120 million units worth).  Sadly this is not the case.

X86 severs system is reliable enough for server use.

Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2003, 09:49:54 AM »

strobe wrote:
Have Apple ever tried to enter X86 home world?

One word: OPENSTEP

My statement was for Mainstream Desktop context such as in Windows 98/2K/XP markets.

Plenty of development work has to be done before that product was ready for MacOS X final release
i.e.
OPENSTEP -> Rhapsody  -> MacOS X Server  -> MacOS X(with Aqua GUI).

You may shut up now

I don't see "MacOS" label on it. Try again.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2003, 08:09:13 PM »
Oh no! It doesn't have the "MacOS" label! If only it did, then it would CRUSH Windows!

How laughable.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2003, 02:17:35 AM »

strobe wrote:
Oh no! It doesn't have the "MacOS" label! If only it did, then it would CRUSH Windows!

Where did I state this (in regards to "it would CRUSH Windows")?

How laughable.

What's your problem?

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2003, 03:31:34 AM »
the openstep and beos arguments are vague... Apple has plenty of commercial support...if there was a good user friendly Unix for X86 with good application support...it would certinly get more application support then BeOS...and apps get users...

But I wouldnt argue that... I'd argue that Apple should make thier own proprietary motherboards to run this OS...and license the board/OS/rom out to OEM's like Sony/Panasonic/Avid/etc to make custom rigs and user level rigs with.

It would be a nice thing to see happen... lord knows Sony would love to do it..and it would certinly take some of the engineering burnden off of Apple's shoulders...they could charge a nice fee either per unit or per license for the ROM's or IP of useing it to make up for the loss of not getting 100% of hardware revenue....
I would buy one...

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2003, 07:25:35 AM »
I never thought of that. AInc. could have made an x86, custom board which would ONLY run Amiga OS SW, but use all cheap pc components, that seems like it could have been done.

And, with a proprietery chip necessary, it wouldn't work on other x86 motherboards.

Amiga! Costly.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2003, 01:38:59 PM »

Atheist wrote:
I never thought of that. AInc. could have made an x86, custom board which would ONLY run Amiga OS SW, but use all cheap pc components, that seems like it could have been done.

And, with a proprietery chip necessary, it wouldn't work on other x86 motherboards.

Amiga! Costly.

If it is custom, it's not cheap, no matter what the CPU is.

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2003, 01:50:19 PM »
If it is custom, it's not cheap, no matter what the CPU is.

they could do the same thing with an X86 board as they did with AmigaOne...

take a generic board you like.
alter the bios so its nice and proprietary.

pow... you got you can control who sells hardware for the OS.