Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 10207 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624601
Apparently he doesn't like OS4 or MorphOS, Nicholas.
Personally, I secretly suspect Franko actually likes OSX.

And I don't understand the posts about an 800Mhz iMac running Ubuntu or OSX 10.5 poorly as I've run both on more primitive equipment (although Franko may be right about 10.4 being better suited to slower hardware).

Visit some mac forums and you find that on these particular iMacG4 models the processing power needed for OSX 10.5 and the drain on resources just slows them down to an unusable state... :)

You can't change or upgrade anything in these models other than the HD & DVD drives as everything is incorporated onto the MB so your stuck with what you've got.... :(

From what I've learned from other Mac users on those forums it's mainly down to the particular GFX card on them and the bus speeds, simply put an iMAC G4 PPC 800Mhz is quite a good machine as long as you don't try and go beyond OSX 10.4.11... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624602
Sorry don't understand your question :confused:

@ nicholas

I don't like OS4 on a real Amiga with a PPC card cos it's slower than a dead donkey (although Karlos tells me it's ok if you have a GFX card)... :)

But, if the X1000 is built to handle OS4 and has good enough specs on it's final release then it should run OS4 at it's best... (I hope) :)

MorphOS even though Iggy has pointed out it wont be used on the X1000 is after much mulling over by myself not for me mainly due to the silly Licence you have to buy for it, far too restrictive in my opinion... :)

OS4 is tied to the hardware in much the same way as MorphOS is.

Say you break your OS4 box, you have to buy another OS4 licence when you buy a new box as it comes bundled with it and is priced accordingly.

You cannot buy any OS4 hardware without an OS4 license being bundled with it.

Same as when you buy an Apple computer, OSX is bundled with it and is priced accordingly.  You cannot buy any Mac without an OSX license being bundled with it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
@ nicholas

OS4 isnt tied to one machine or a single licence, I can install my on any Amiga own as all it requires is the serial/registration number printed on the disk envelope to work... :)

Heck. if I really wanted to I could give it away to everyone and they could download the OS4 cd ISO image from plenty of sites on the web and they would be able to run it easily on any machines they own with a PPC board... :)

So it's not tied to the hardware or needing another licence if one of my Amiga were to break all I have to do is install it on another Amiga and enter the number... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624610
@ nicholas

OS4 isnt tied to one machine or a single licence, I can install my on any Amiga own as all it requires is the serial/registration number printed on the disk envelope to work... :)

Heck. if I really wanted to I could give it away to everyone and they could download the OS4 cd ISO image from plenty of sites on the web and they would be able to run it easily on any machines they own with a PPC board... :)

So it's not tied to the hardware or needing another licence if one of my Amiga were to break all I have to do is install it on another Amiga and enter the number... :)

We weren't talking about Amiga's, we were talking about OS4 boxes (X1000/Sam/A1)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624614
We weren't talking about Amiga's, we were talking about OS4 boxes (X1000/Sam/A1)

I was talking about OS4 on my Amiga... :)

Anyway if the X1000 is released with OS4 and all that restricting licensing crap then just like my Macs it won't take me long to hack it so I can get rid of such restrictions... ;)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624602
Sorry don't understand your question :confused:

@ nicholas

I don't like OS4 on a real Amiga with a PPC card cos it's slower than a dead donkey (although Karlos tells me it's ok if you have a GFX card)... :)

But, if the X1000 is built to handle OS4 and has good enough specs on it's final release then it should run OS4 at it's best... (I hope) :)

MorphOS even though Iggy has pointed out it wont be used on the X1000 is after much mulling over by myself not for me mainly due to the silly Licence you have to buy for it, far too restrictive in my opinion... :)

The MorphOS license restriction complaint is valid. When I build a new PC I can move my copy of Windows to it, but with MorphOS I have to buy another key.

Franko, you DO have a point.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624622
The MorphOS license restriction complaint is valid. When I build a new PC I can move my copy of Windows to it, but with MorphOS I have to buy another key.

If I buy an OS which is after all just a piece of software and it's restricted to only be used on one machine I own and I have to pay for it again if I buy a new higher spec computer, then to me that's just a total rip off... :(

The way I see it I paid for it, it's mine to use as I see fit (despite the licence agreement) and if I want to use it on machines that I own then I do so even if it means hacking it... :)

Plain and simple some of these so called licence agreements are total BS and just ripping folks off... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624621
I was talking about OS4 on my Amiga... :)

Anyway if the X1000 is released with OS4 and all that restricting licensing crap then just like my Macs it won't take me long to hack it so I can get rid of such restrictions... ;)

Hack what exactly? There is nothing to hack.

When you buy the hardware to replace the broken hardware a new OS4 license comes bundled with it. Which will make you the owner of one broken board, one working board and two fully paid for licences of OS4.

What are you going to do with the second license?

Sell it? To who? For what purpose? All "designed for OS4" boxes come bundled with a license whether you want one or not?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624622

Indeed, but Franko doesn't seem to realise that OS4 licencing is just as bad.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624629

When you buy the hardware to replace the broken hardware a new OS4 license comes bundled with it. Which will make you the owner of one broken board, one working board and two fully paid for licences of OS4.

Sell it? To who? For what purpose? All "designed for OS4" boxes come bundled with a license whether you want one or not?

That is an interesting point. I doubt the copy they ship with each board is generic. Meaning you probably can't use a CD copy of AmigaOS4 that was shipped with your SAM to install AOS on your Pegasos or original AmigaOne XE.

At least with a MorphOS license, if the original hardware fails you can ask the developers for permission to move to a new system. And if you buy a new system, you can sell the old one with its MOS license.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Franko

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624629

Just one example on the mac, it comes with QuickTime Player but the save/export and stuff are disabled unless you pay Apple more dosh for a registration to "unlock it" so I said f' that and hacked it to unlock these features... :)

I wasn't talking about OS4 on OS4 "boxes" (whatever they are) I was talking about OS4 on real Amiga hardware... :)

If the X1000 comes with OS4 then fair enough but it's highly unlikely that their going to produce a new better model in the near future that I would be willing to pay that kind of money for to buy again, and if it broke within the first couple of years then you can be sure AEON  would be hearing from me and I certainly would be paying for another one so I wouldn't have two licenses... :)

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
Oh, well... didn't get it. The guy gave it to someone else.