Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Story of VD0 - the invention of the recoverable ram disk  (Read 12738 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: Story of VD0 - the invention of the recoverable ram disk
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Quote from: pkivolowitz;547883

From early memory, a Unix "dd" command could be used to suck the data off the tape without parsing it. Is there something like that for Windows tape (which I have never used)?

Once the bytes are on the Windows machine I can transfer to the Linux server and untar them there - shouldn't be a problem, right?

There are several implementations of dd for Windows, though I have only used them with drive devices.  Given time over the weekend, I can see if I can get one of the dd's I use to recognize a tape drive.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Quote from: pkivolowitz;547900
Thank you. The probability that the tape will die after one pass is non-zero. With irreplaceable data that could be a problem.

Drive and adapter won't be here till next week.

p

I'm gonna look up that drive later today.  I'm concerned that if a single pass can kill the tape, a lot of those tapes are linear and not helical scan, which means that the head traverses the tape multiple times (back and forth) in tracks.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:29:28 AM »
Exabyte 8mm drives are apparently helical scan (the first, in fact, for data storage.)  Carry on :)