Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alt-WoA 2003 postponed  (Read 2221 times)

Description:

Offline jumpshipTopic starter

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
Alt-WoA 2003 postponed
« on: February 17, 2003, 10:47:31 AM »
The Huddersfield Amiga User Group has postponed the Alt-WoA 2003.

The Amiga show had originally been scheduled for 26th April 2003 in Huddersfield, Great Britain, and will now take place on an as yet undisclosed weekend on the occasion of the release of AmigaOS 4.0.

Further information about this has not yet been announced.[/i]

Source: http://www.amiga-news.de/en/

Offline Crumpster

• Show only replies by Crumpster
Re: Alt-WoA 2003 postponed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 11:25:40 AM »
Hi Folks,

I rekon this can be read in 2 ways:

1. aw crap, not another delay.

2. Do they know something we don't??

I went last year when the ATX A1 was shown for the 1st time and it was a great show (especially with the bar downstairs :-D ) I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Graham C
A1-XE - G4 800MHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Radeon 9250, OS 4.1
A1200T - PPC603 240MHz / 68040 50MHz, 128MB RAM, Mediator, OS 3.9 / 4.1
A1200 (No. 2) - M-TEC 68030 50MHz, 4GB CF, KS 3.0, OS 3.0
A500 - ACA500 with ACA1232.
CDTV - in Progress: SCSI, 9 pin joy/mouse connectors, KS switcher.

Non-CBM - Atari STe, Atari Falcon, Apple ][e, ZX Spectrum, CPC6128.
Gone but not forgotten (and slowly getting them back): CPC464, C64, Vic-20.

I may have a problem

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 11:59:23 AM »
1) Yep, nothing new... 2) Most likely not.. All has been shown what there is to show, it's more matter of beliving what one sees.

Saku (Finnish Amiga User Group) did not held any public happening last year cause there were nothing to show to people. In fall 2001 we had DE and great talks about it's future..  And promices of new AmigaOne and OS4 ... In summer 2002 it become obvious there would be nothing NEW to show to people.. Just more promices of DE producs and 'upcoming' AmigaOne-OS4 combo. So I  understand why there is not much interest to make shows yearly.

I have not followed organization discussions of Saku2003 but I'm hoping there will be enough to make a new show.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 03:22:47 PM »
It will be a long wait then .
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 07:00:18 PM »
Apparently they indeed knew more than most others..
Some explanation.

(edit) Addendum, not that I would belive this partucular chain of events happened, but seems to fit to pattern of event's so it may indeed be close to real thing.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 07:55:02 PM »
I can well understand the lack of optimism shown by alot of Amiga users with respect to new machines and the new OS.  Amiga users have been forced to wait too long for new stuff, and we've waited SO long that it becomes questionable wether we'll ever see our beloved OS re-incarnated in PPC.

But make no mistake - the developers of AmigaOS4, AmigaInc and the people behind the new machines have worked VERY hard on these products - and for little benefit of their own.
The only way the developers are going to see any kind of return for these efforts is to get the product out there, and make damn sure it's a GOOD product so that the current surviving Amiga user base will definately buy it.

After all this time of hard graft work and lack of decent income, do you really believe that they're going to string us along just for the fun of it, only to eventually admit that the product will never arrive?? Don't be silly - they need our money as a return for their efforts just as much as we are impatient towards the release of the products.

Remember that the developers behind the current Windows OS were in their thousands.  THOUSANDS of people worked on Windows XP, and more than that - they were all on decent wages.  Our OS is bein developed by a team of 2-3 dedicated Amiga developers, who are being paid diddly squat for their efforts and only recieving our critisism in return.  That said, they're doing a fantastic job regardless and thankfully, they've almost finished!!!

AmigaOS4 will be here, make no mistake about it.  It'll be here, and it'll be here soon.  So just hang on for another few months yeah? We've all waited this long, what a waste it would be to give up hope now.  Personally, I await with excited anticipation for the new OS, and I hold a great respect for the developers.  When it's released, in the coming months, I'll be congratulating them - and imagine the party we'll have at alt.WOA!!!

I'll look forward to seeing you all there - with copies of OS4 budled underneath your arms ;)

Brian Hoskins

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 07:55:38 PM »
I could have told anyone who wanted to listen that there would be no show unless AmigaOS4 was ready to be shown at the very least. It was something I discussed with Geoff (one of the main organisers of the HAUG shows) last November as we were going home after the WoA-SE show, and there was no real possibility of another show where prototypes and speeches would be the so-called highlight.

I don't understand some of the excuses, I must say. What do Amiga have to pay Hyperion for? This was never part of the original deal as we were told about it.  Hyperion were supposed to be in full control and Amiga would only have to pay them if they wanted to buy the rights and sources back off them. I think part of the story at least is fabricated, to hide goodness knows what other difficulties that would fire up much concern if they became public knowledge. Perhaps some of the promised technology simply doesn't work as expected, and no date is available for a remedy?
Bill Hoggett

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 08:13:28 PM »
Real background about the Amiga-MS deal:

"McEwen: I reluctantly accept your proposal!
Bill Gates: Well everyone always does. Buy 'em out,
boys!

[Gates' lackeys trash the room.]

McEwen: Hey, what the hell's going on!
Bill Gates: Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of
checks! [insane laughter]"

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/5F11