Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence  (Read 12721 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: IMICA Atom becomes Aros fully native and celebrates in Silence
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »
Quote from: jagoche;560339
@dreamcast270mhz
While one can respect your view, I really don't see much sense any longer to argue what is "fake" (or true) Amiga today.

I can't respect his view. He comes in here and pisses on everyone's cornflakes and then gets mad when people piss back. Who can respect that?
Ed.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;560402
I can't respect his view. He comes in here and pisses on everyone's cornflakes and then gets mad when people piss back. Who can respect that?

:roflmao: What an expression...
int p; // A

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Quote from: clusteruk;560244
Thanks for nice comments

How is SDL for AROS?  I'm have a few SDL projects I could port.  I might invest some time and try to set up a tool chain if the pieces exist out there.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline deadwood

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;560450
How is SDL for AROS?  I'm have a few SDL projects I could port.  I might invest some time and try to set up a tool chain if the pieces exist out there.

We have available SDL 1.2.11, SDL_gfx 2.0.18, SDL_image 1.2.3, SDL_mixer 1.2.5, SDL_net 1.2.7 and SDL_sound 1.0.3

Offline tone007

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;560338
the unique community that I love

Unrequited!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 12:56:16 AM »
since when did amiga become about exclusion ?

Offline jagoche

• Show only replies by jagoche
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;560402

@EDanaII
One can respect your view as well... ;)
A2000, Blizzard 2040ERC, Spectrum (alive again), Masoboshi MC702
A4000, A3640, VLab, A2301

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »
Quote from: runequester;560483
since when did amiga become about exclusion ?

Since the latest batch of mindless namefollowing BAFs appeared on the scene.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;560498
since the latest batch of mindless namefollowing bafs appeared on the scene.

baf ?

Offline the_leander

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 05:15:18 AM »
Quote from: runequester;560501
baf ?

You don't want to know. Lets just say that its a not nice way of referring the more fundamentalist set within the community.

--edit--

Meh, sod it, if I get infracted I get infracted..

BAF = Blind Amiga Fanatic

Although I've read other, harsher (and likely TOS breaking) variations on this theme.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:19:42 AM by the_leander »
Blessed Be,

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:05 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;560352
Way to dismiss and belittle tens of thousands of hours of developers hard work in building a ground up opensource re-implimentation of the AmigaOS.

Except its not.  There is not a single line of AmigaOS code in it, nor is it compatible with any Amiga hardware

I would also point out that the hardware in question packs a bigger punch in every respect than a Sam440 and does so for around a third of the cost. Oh and its mass produced which means people buying into AROS won't have to silently pray to the gods of hardware that today isn't the day your system dies because there is no replacement.

So what?  It won't run anything written for AmigaOS 4 and above, and it can't run Amiga OS 3.x software natively.  As a fun PC OS its OK, and congratulations to those who developed it and provide NW for it, but an Amiga it is not.

Newsflash chum: AROS has been around for far longer than you have been around and will l(thanks to being OSS) be here long after the last A1 and Sam die of old age.

And?

Look, just because you get a hardon over ridiculously overpriced and underspecced niche hardware doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow your fetish.

And just beacsue you get a hard on about open-source x86 PC OS's that say they are built in the spirit of Amiga, but run no Amiga software except under certain circumstance, doesn't mean that anyone has to follow yours.

Oh and quit it with the hyperbole, the only company that killed Amiga was Commodore, but then again I've come to expect such nonsense historical revisionism from the new wave of name followers such as yourself.

Yep.  It was Commodore and Nothing else to it. FMD.

Oh don't play the innocent, you got an infraction and deserved it. Trying to wriggle out of it like this is just makes you look even more pathetic. I would also suggest that the reason for the infraction was precisely because your posts were belittling the efforts of people who actually know their stuff and are actively trying to improve support for the platform as a whole, even if you don't happen to agree with the direction of this fork.

No the reason is that this place has turned into a place where anything goes:

1.  if a handful of the more frequent visitors agree with you.

2.  its OK for the said handful to belittle, insult (words like pathetic, deluded, dense) if you don't agree with their POV

3. if you are a mod.

And what f'en fork are you talking about.  AROS is not a fork of AmigaOS.

dreamcast270mhz:  where you went wrong is that you expressed an opinion that didn't agree with the majority one here.  In future refrain from having an opinion and just say you like "whatever anyone else likes"

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »
Well it does say Aros, IMICA and Atom in the thread title, so if you come in this thread complaining it isn't OCS/ECS/AGA hardware or Amiga OS4 etc etc then what was the point?

I can understand some people want to run Aros, and not via Linux, OSX or Windows, that's just the great thing about freedom of choice. And all this team are doing is trying to give you a reference hardware platform you can buy and a native version of Aros to run on it.

I don't personally consider this a replacement to a piece of Amiga hardware, Amiga died with CD32/A1200/A4000 Far East/UK production plants closing in the mid 90s. However nobody is claiming it is anyway.

Imica via netbook or ultra portable desktop hardware, isn't really a 'next generation Amiga' though  but a reference ready to rock piece of hardware to run Aros natively. Probably best to call it an Aros PC or something. My $0.02 worth :)

Hope it goes well for the team involved.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:16:15 AM by Amiga_Nut »

Offline the_leander

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;560504
Except its not.  There is not a single line of AmigaOS code in it, nor is it compatible with any Amiga hardware

Which part of Open Source re-implementation are you having trouble with? I should also point out that there was quite a bit of AROS code in AOS 3.5 and 3.9, so even that statement isn't true.

So what?  It won't run anything written for AmigaOS 4 and above, and it can't run Amiga OS 3.x software natively.  As a fun PC OS its OK, and congratulations to those who developed it and provide NW for it, but an Amiga it is not.

Google "o1i"

AROS is AmigaOS API compatible and will run AmigaOS software if recompiled for it. o1i will (eventually) enable it to run AOS apps natively ala Amithlon/MorphOS. In the mean time I believe there is a port of UAE available for AROS.

It probably never will run OS4 apps using an emulation layer but tbh I really can't help but think that that is a good thing - too much in OS4 feedback I see on various boards comes back as hinky.

And just beacsue you get a hard on about open-source x86 PC OS's

See, this is what I love about you BAFs - you assume that the rest of the world must have some comparable fetish for their given point of view.

I'll state again what I've said to several of your mouthbreathing comrades:

I do not give a toss what platform I am using so long as it provides me with the tools I want and need to do the things I do day to day. The underlying hardware platform is equally unimportant so long as it provides the appropriate performance for the tasks at hand and does so at a reasonable cost.  

Read and understand.

No the reason is that this place has turned into a place where anything goes:

1.  if a handful of the more frequent visitors agree with you.

Or you could oh, I don't know, back up your claims with facts. That tends to go down nicely around here. Watch anyone make a blatantly incorrect statement and see them get corrected, then shot down if they ignore the correction and carry on - regardless of how popular you are(n't).

2.  its OK for the said handful to belittle, insult (words like pathetic, deluded, dense) if you don't agree with their POV

What, you mean like you do regularly when faced with anyone who doesn't slavishly follow your views on teh oNe TrU CoMputAr?

3. if you are a mod.

That's a delicious line in BAWWWWing you have there.

And what f'en fork are you talking about.  AROS is not a fork of AmigaOS.

Its a fork in the community.

dreamcast270mhz:  where you went wrong is that you expressed an opinion that didn't agree with the majority one here.  In future refrain from having an opinion and just say you like "whatever anyone else likes"

Grow up.

Where he went wrong was in belittling (intentionally or not) the efforts of people who have poured tens of thousands of man hours into this project (which itself had parts of it put in both AOS and MorphOS) without any provocation or reason - no other reason.
Blessed Be,

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 06:42:05 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;560505
Well it does say Aros, IMICA and Atom in the thread title, so if you come in this thread complaining it isn't OCS/ECS/AGA hardware or Amiga OS4 etc etc then what was the point?

Its pretty much the same reason that any amiga video on youtube will attract a bunch of wankers going "can it play crysis!!!??? LOL!!!"

Offline the_leander

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;560505

I do believe we have a winner gentlemen.

$0.02 well spent, sir.
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

« Reply #44 from previous page: May 24, 2010, 06:45:44 AM »
Quote from: runequester;560509
Its pretty much the same reason that any amiga video on youtube will attract a bunch of wankers going "can it play crysis!!!??? LOL!!!"

Welcome to the internet, where trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls is a way of life.
Blessed Be,