Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25126 times)

Description:

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #179 from previous page: March 08, 2012, 12:04:43 AM »
Wow, looks like they are way short on supply to meet demand. I think they should raise the price to $200 to lower demand so that nobody has to endure horrible waits. :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:03 AM »
I was wondering if I can use this much in the same way the raspberri pi. Will I be able to use it as a standalone system?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nc700-multi-user-linux-2-6-31-3-network-computer-pc-terminal-w-3-x-usb-lan-video-black-2gb-117296

Comes with a nice case, a psu, a remote control, has a tiny flash drive, it is available and shipping is free, unlike the pi.

What do you think?

BTW, there is a version with wifi built-in for a couple of bucks more.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;682872
I was wondering if I can use this much in the same way the raspberri pi. Will I be able to use it as a standalone system?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nc700-multi-user-linux-2-6-31-3-network-computer-pc-terminal-w-3-x-usb-lan-video-black-2gb-117296

Comes with a nice case, a psu, a remote control, has a tiny flash drive, it is available and shipping is free, unlike the pi.

What do you think?

BTW, there is a version with wifi built-in for a couple of bucks more.

I just had a good root around on google and it looks like it can work standalone. It was designed for use as a net/cloud computer or multimedia box. Looks interesting, if you get one I would be very interested in a review.

Whilst looking I found another ARM box also called a NC700, this one runs Windows CE6 instead, maybe that explains why it costs a bit more.

http://www.pcstation.sk/predaj/106/PCstation-NC700/
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »
Quote from: VingtTrois;683033
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781
Ah well, sh1t happens :)

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;682854
So you could say, the Raspberry Pi has 256meg Chip Ram!!! How awesome is that :)

Did you guys ever figure anything to do with these things? I just ordered a 512meg Chip RAM version...

So far I really just want to try RiscOS...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;711734
Did you guys ever figure anything to do with these things? I just ordered a 512meg Chip RAM version...

Mine got kind of shuffled aside as I got my PDP-11 pretty much right afterward...been meaning to get back to it. I still need to try Raspbian and see if that's better performing than the unoptimized Linux builds, and I have wanted to give RiscOS a shot, too...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:15 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;711734

Im using mine with Ångström linux as a mediaplayer in my car with a 7" monitor.
Using the AUX line in the car stereo to get sound from the PI to the stereo.

Offline bbond007

« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;711736
Mine got kind of shuffled aside as I got my PDP-11 pretty much right afterward...been meaning to get back to it. I still need to try Raspbian and see if that's better performing than the unoptimized Linux builds, and I have wanted to give RiscOS a shot, too...

I can't have something like a PDP-11, it takes too much power and probably produces a bunch of heat than my AC would then have to cool... PI is more my budget.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:13 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;711753
I can't have something like a PDP-11, it takes too much power and probably produces a bunch of heat than my AC would then have to cool... PI is more my budget.
I don't know for sure; I've asked some of the minicomputer fanatics over on the Vintage Computer Forums about power draw before, and they weren't sure of anything conclusive. Later models at least are probably better (and the PDP-11 was always a mid-range sort of machine anyway, compared to the PDP-10 - which had power supplies so inefficient that CompuServe, which used a bunch of them, had to design a replacement!)

In any case, mine is not one of the classic fridge-sized minicomputer models; it's a microcomputer version (or at least inasmuch as you can say that a tower case the size of a small radiator is "micro.") The power supply's only 320W; I'm pretty sure my P4 gaming rig uses more than that. Budget's still an issue, though, since DEC gear of any kind is prey for collectors and service agencies trying to maintain ancient field installations alike; mine was a very lucky score at the recycle center, which only wanted scrap value for it - followed by an extremely lucky score of a bunch of upgrade parts from another machine that they were obligated to scrap but let me pull the boards from.

I kinda would like a full-fledged minicomputer with a proper lights-and-switches front panel, but as I have neither the space nor the budget, my MicroPDP-11'll do just fine for now ;)
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;711736
The latest firmware automatically over clocks (and safely overvolts) the core  during times of peak demand... So the machine is very usable now, also helped is that the official Linux distro is Raspbian based, it all adds up to a very functional device.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
PDP-1 anyone?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline bbond007

« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;711754
I don't know for sure; I've asked some of the minicomputer fanatics over on the Vintage Computer Forums about power draw before, and they weren't sure of anything conclusive. Later models at least are probably better (and the PDP-11 was always a mid-range sort of machine anyway, compared to the PDP-10 - which had power supplies so inefficient that CompuServe, which used a bunch of them, had to design a replacement!)

I don't suppose you would leave the PDP running 24/7, then then again, that's probably what its designed for...

there is a device you can get that will tell you the current draw from the AC outlet. I don't know what its called, but I have been wanting to get one because I'm curious to see how all these "wall warts" add up...

I remember when I was a teenager and the school was trying to get rid of some sort of big mainframe thing with tape drives... I tried to convince my dad to bring it home with his truck as it would not fit in my mustang-II. He said no way, so I must not have  convincing enough. I guess that was my one shot of having a mainframe.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
Quote from: persia;711778
PDP-1 anyone?
Oh, I wish. Got to see one of the last remaining units in existence when I visited the Computer History Museum, but sadly I didn't get to see a demo. Maybe when I go back to California this Christmas...

Quote from: bbond007;711781
I don't suppose you would leave the PDP running 24/7, then then again, that's probably what its designed for...
It is, but then that's in an industrial or business environment where your power budget is already high. For me, it's no skin off my nose, as my utilities are included in the rent :D But I don't anyway, as the fans are quite loud and it's a small apartment; I only left it on overnight the once (when I was imaging the hard drive - over the serial port, joy,) and that was plenty. Though it doesn't actually seem to run hot, anyway, not sure why it needs to move that much air...

I remember when I was a teenager and the school was trying to get rid of some sort of big mainframe thing with tape drives... I tried to convince my dad to bring it home with his truck as it would not fit in my mustang-II. He said no way, so I must not have  convincing enough. I guess that was my one shot of having a mainframe.
Aw, bummer...

Offline tone007

« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »
All this DEC stuff is making me want to power up my MicroVAX and Alphaserver...
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
Lucky bastard!