Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AF 2005 Issues  (Read 1432 times)

Description:

Offline SkuldChanTopic starter

• Show all replies
AF 2005 Issues
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:26:09 PM »
I bought AF 2005 the other day and while I wait for the DVD :) - I downloaded it and installed it on my PC. However when I boot it - it just sits there at a blank workbench screen. There's a message before that in a full window, but it flashes by so quickly I can't read it. Its a pretty basic machine - Athlon 64, 2048 megs of ram, nvidia 6800 GT and its running Windows XP Pro.

I used to be an Amiga die hard - I still have an Amiga 4000 on my office desk, but admitedly it hasn't been switched on in over a year :( (something about those 233 mhz cyberstorm ppc being a little too flakey) so I'm a little rusty on how to fix this this or even diagnose it. Its quick enough I can't hit both mouse buttons to go into the early startup screen either.

Any suggestions?

Oh on a side note - I installed it on my IBM T42 laptop just to test and it worked just fine - however it eats the batteries alive.

• Show all replies
Re: AF 2005 Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:21:55 PM »
Well no - because if you get a re-targeted screen that just says "workbench screen" it did something - it booted something.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:15:52 AM »
Ahh perfect - its all coming back :).

Anyhow it says "invalid resident library"

In the past that usually meant an incorrect version or some lib.

So what I did is renamed dir and ran detect and repair on af2005 - it recreated it, but I still get the same error and problem...

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:45:27 AM »

_ThEcRoW wrote:
What exactly are you doing?
Are you trying to launch a game with the cloanto launcher, or just running winuae alone?, or are you booting the KX-light autoboot feature, that boots directly into amiga os?
For me the cloanto launcher works perfectly with games and the demos included. By the way i usually use winuae alone without the launcher.
Tell me the exact steps you are using, but the default configs from cloanto should work for a start.

I'm actually just pressing the Amiga OS 3.x link from the launcher.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:43:52 PM »
I am positive. I've even uninstalled - made sure it actually uninstalled all its files and reinstalled. It really is the stock config - I can email it to you if you like.

On the CD, unfortunately I haven't recieved that yet. I went for the offer where you get the cd's/dvd's, but also get to download it right away. I have the one you can download right away.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »
So I was playing around with it and discovered that if I disabled Picasso it worked just fine with the default config.

It was then I noticed the DEFAULT config (ie the one thats used when you just click the boot OS 3.x button) only has 2 megs chip, zero fast, zero expansion and 8 megs rtg. So I changed the fast ram to 8 megs and now it works just fine.

Now whats odd is that on my T42 it was set to 2 megs chip, 0 fast, 8 megs expansion, 8 megs rtg.

I'm not entirely sure why they differed - especially as both installs came from the same file.

Oh well - I guess this is one issue to mark down in the knowledgebase :).

Thanks guys!