Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Delfina: The DSP makes the difference!  (Read 3219 times)

Description:

Offline SchoenfeldTopic starter

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
Delfina: The DSP makes the difference!
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »
Soundcards for the Amiga are continuously popular, but only one soundcard has a freely programmable DSP - a specialized audio processor. With this concept, the Delfina strictly follows the old Amiga-idea to do as much work as possible with specialized hardware in order to take load off the main processor. We have taken over the Delfina from Petsoff in 2003, but only published a software update once.

After more than four years, we're especially happy that Axel Schneider has taken over the development of the delfina.library in his spare time since october 2007. The original author Teemu Suikki (Finland) has published large parts of the Delfina software under different open-source licenses. For the first time, we're publishing the source code for drivers of a product that you can still buy in the shops and that's actively developed. Although it seems to be quite fashionable to increase prices for classic Amiga hardware, we don't see a reason to follow that trend. The price of the Delfina "flipper edition" of 129,- EUR(*) is still more than 140,- EUR under the price of the predecessors made by Petsoff.

The new library also allows connecting the Delfina to a 26-pin expansion port of our Zorro cards like Buddha and X-Surf (older models). Crashes that occured especially on fast accelerators and under high DSP-load, are probably completely eliminated. There are still some issues when playing back web radio streams with a bitrate of 256kbit or more that we could not trace back to the delfina library. Find out more in the readme file of the archive.

The software support for the older Delfina cards (made 1999 or earlier) is still in the drivers, but it is not maintained or tested any more. We recommend the use of a new card made by individual Computers.

Download:
DelfLib417b1.lha
(133 KBytes)

picture archive as addendum to the manual:
delfina_pictures.zip
(421 KBytes)

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
Re: Delfina: The DSP makes the difference!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:27:06 AM »
Grrrrreat news! I had my delfina in the closet due to the bugs and hang issues while playing mp3... it's time to get it off there and test!

:-D

BTW, does anyone have tested it under OS4?
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:36:41 AM »
That is good news.  I had a Delfina a few years ago that just refused to work with my '060 accelerators (CyberStorm MKIII and Blizzard 2060.)  I traded it back in for an X-Surf 3cc.  Maybe now I can try again...

Of course, now that I have a Blizzard 1260, I might could try in the 1200, but I just can't bring myself to putting killer sound with no VGA :-)  It's gotta go in the 2000 or 4000!

Offline djbase

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:12:25 AM »
Pity the new Delfina does not fit in to my A1200 Desktop like the original version else I would buy one.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
ok, is this a good news item about a new library for the Delfina DSP or an advert for a soundcard thats been out ages.
"We recommend the use of a new card made by individual Computers." :-/

Im glad to say I have no cards in my A4KT that hangs off wires, I do have a Delfina Lite though.

One question Ive been interested about, how do people mount these and the clockport USB cards in their Zorro miggie? You honestly dont hang it loose in the case do you?
Does the Delfina mount onto a backplate so you can just connect the audio cables directly to it?

Offline BinoX

• Show only replies by BinoX
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »
That's great news.

One question Ive been interested about, how do people mount these and the clockport USB cards in their Zorro miggie? You honestly dont hang it loose in the case do you?
Does the Delfina mount onto a backplate so you can just connect the audio cables directly to it?

Parcel tape and cardboard are your friends.. lol.. with a custom backplate with holes for sound output.. Bascially stuck some cardboard to the X-Surf and then stuck the delfina onto that.. heh
Back to action!

Offline djbase

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

Good question, I had the same problem and I have no Clockport in my BigBox Miggy so I sold the card and bought a Repulse. Ok, it has no DSP but I am happy with.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
Finally they realese good drivers i may buy a new card . Gave up on using mine a few years ago due too poor drivers with horriable crashes ...
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline sandpiper

• Show only replies by sandpiper
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »
@Oli_hd

I've got mine mounted in an A2000 case with nylon tie-wraps and 1/8" plywood. The plywood has cutouts for Delfina cooling and holes for mounting the Delfina card. The delfina is then attached to the plywood with tie-wraps. The complete assembly is then suspended from one of the cross braces in the case, again with tie-wraps. It is slung between 2 Zorro cards, an X-Surf (the Delfina is attached to the Delfina clockport) and another card. Tie-wraps are a wonderful invention.

I've also got a Subway on the other X-surf clockport, also attached using tie-wraps to the cross-brace.

It actually doesn't look too bad but one of these days I'll upgrade the plywood to plexiglass to improve the appearance.

Offline Doraemon

• Show only replies by Doraemon
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 01:00:49 AM »
Now it works fine even in os4 classic?
I have the old zorro version.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:52:07 AM »
Great news that it's open source, but the new version is unfortunately a no-go with the Delfina Lite. Anyone want to correct that? :-D

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:57:05 AM »
I tested this today... sadly, it hangs when playing from my SCSI HD and cdrom attached to the BlizzardPPC's controller, it works OK when playing from the IDE controller (FastATA MKIII), but even while playing from IDE, if I open a file or even delete a file in the SCSI HD, the mahcine doesn't freeze or anything, but the sound in the delfina goes BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... as far as I remember, this is the same behavior as with previous versions of the library :-(

I attached it to the VarI/O clock port...

D.
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline Cheeeky

• Show only replies by Cheeeky
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
I've tested this new library on an 060 A1200 connected to the clockport.

Tested in Octamed with the toccata emulation library and it runs fine, so I assume all AHI applications will run fine.

AMPlifier does not give any sound output and crashes when you stop it playing, when set to use hardware decoding of mpegs - When the version 4.16 library is replaced it works again.

***Update*** Working fine now

DelfMPEG by the same author as delfinampeg.device worked, so i looked a little deeper. In the file env:DELFINAMPEG there was a setting "l3rate 32" which was limiting the playback rate to 32000 - when this setting was deleted the playback worked again. Not sure if this is a default setting, I don't remeber putting it in there, but it looks like this was causing the problem with the new library.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 04:31:31 AM »
@Dragster:

Did you try to give the player a bigger buffer for the mp3 playback ? Anyways sad to hear that as this was the problem i had too back in the day...
A1200 ACA 1230