Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E3B - press release regarding potential software problems  (Read 5332 times)

Description:

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
Re: E3B - press release regarding potential software problem
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 21, 2007, 05:05:44 PM »
If you trust elbox's word on that

I see no reason not too, unless you know something?

I have included the rest of the message so it may be seen in it's full entirety.

But this is a last resort. I still hope that Chris Hodges will restore  registrations of the Poseidon stack for Mediator / Spider users. His current posistion is absolutely mindless and is counter-productive, to everyone, most of all to users.

It's so sad that Elbox and Chris Hodges need to have these tit for tat exchanges at all. :roll:  
I can however understand why Elbox might take such action, after all isn't it the Poseidon author that is so morally apposed having his stack associated with Elbox hardware?

Well hopefully they can both come to some sense and and set aside their egos and pride.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 05:18:18 PM »
Elbox is responsible for their product. It is their responsibility to handle the situation, not their customers.

Trying to use customers as leverage is outright lame. If Elbox believes they have a case, why don't they take this to court instead of these silly games?

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
All parties involved are a part of the Amiga community. We are all family. Pull your heads out of your backsides and cooperate with eachother, for the sake of the family.

EVERYONE needs to quit the flamewars and lawsuits. Every company, every developer of hardware and software, drivers, etc.

As a user, I have to buy hardware, buy / register software... The Amiga community isn't large enough anymore for crackers and pirates to run rapant with your product, so that is no excuse. And if two companies can't work out a deal to sell something together, sell it seperately... But for f***s sake sell it anyway! We'll buy it because we need / want it.

And if this "I see that guy's drivers on your system so I'm gonna erase your harddrive" crap is actually true, then oh yeah there's gonna be backlash. But unless it becomes more than hearsay,  I'm not about to start flaming companies for it.

But I will flame for having something people can use, and refusing to allow access to it. That's lame. There are thousands of PCI-USB cards on the market... How about supporting something I can actually run down to Fry's and buy if you don't want to support Spider?!

And if Elbox wants to shut down my Mediator support because I'm using a Hodges Posiden stack, I say go right ahead. Not only will Elbox be sued to oblivion, everyone personally involved with that decision will be in court ordered debt to me and everyone else affected for the remainder of their lives.

SO GROW UP YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 07:26:58 PM »
Did this ever happen to anyone? Didn't Elbox remove the code due to public pressure anyway.

Let's assume that some stalker had been pointing a gun at you and your friends for, say, a few years. All this without telling you anything.

Then this guy gets caught aiming the gun at you, as he's being doing for a long time. The police takes away the gun, and notices it's a quite unreliable type that's known to fire sometimes by accident without anyone pulling the trigger. It's also clear that this stalker knew how unreliable it was, but he never intended to shoot you (and -luckily- the gun didn't shoot you accidentally either)

So, what you would think of that guy then? That it's all perfectly ok, as you yourself survived through it, and the police didn't find any murder victim, that was definitely killed by the stalker (or his unreliable gun)

Later, when the guy gets set free, he just tells you there's no use stalking you anymore, as you knew about him. No apologies or anything.

And last but not least, one thing I've been wondering about this thread, where's tjaoz? :-D

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
What's really pissing me off in this whole situation is that elbox is dragging 3rd parties in this conflict who have nothing to do with it in the first place. Say you use a mediator; and have a subway with poseidon, Elbox drivers would render parts of your system useless. Same goes if you have a thycasomething USB card.

The one and only acting childish here is Elbox. They need to get their act together. For now I am dropping all my Elbox support and will get (probably more expansive) zorro counterparts from E3B and Individual Computers.
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 12:20:08 AM »
Elbox can go to hell. I have my drivers that work at the moment and I'm never going to upgrade them. So if it is possible to get an el cheepo USB card working then I can.

Although I've been mainly happy with my mediator, I will never buy another Elbox product.

It's dog eat dog, I hope Elbox go under and we see Darek Smietana having to get a job cleaning poo off of toilet seats.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline Andrea

• Show only replies by Andrea
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
This press release is incomplete. It should start: In the Mediator ML post from 3 Jan 2007 Darek Smietana (Elbox) is threatening to modify drivers of all Elbox products so that they do not work with E3B products... in revenge for not registering (since 18 Nov 2006) the Poseidon stack for Spider users by Chris Hodges.

I think, if Chris Hodges can make his Poseidon stack not work with an Elbox product, Elbox can do the same in revenge, right? If you blame Elbox, blame Hodges first - he started that game.  :pissed:

Fortunately I don't have any E3B product.

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
@ Andrea

Well there is a huge difference.
 Chis simply decided no to sell it's product to certain customers. Thats perfectly legal. It's his product and he can decide whom he sells it too, weather you like it or not.

Elbox on the other side says "We will render our hardware ( that you allready have paid us for !!) useless if you also use Chis software."
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net

Offline Jupp3

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 05:29:39 PM »
I think, if Chris Hodges can make his Poseidon stack not work with an Elbox product, Elbox can do the same in revenge, right?

Sure they can. They can also make their drivers not work with Amiga accelerators manufactured by Commodore (RIP), clock port clocks made by any manufacturer, fail on 12th day of each other month or anything.

I agree that there's slightly stronger connection between Poseidon author and "manufacturers of competiting USB hardware" than with f.ex. Commodore. But that does NOT mean that there would be any connection other than hardware manufacturers using *third party* usb stack for their product. You know, just like with Elbox, except that unlike with Elbox, some of them came with registered Poseidon. But that's just a deal between 2 different parties, nothing less, nothing more.

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:29 PM »
@Andrea:

Of course they CAN'T !

Maybe this will help:
Dell has a dispute with Microsoft; Microsoft no longer sells Windows to Dell. Now Dell in their turn says: if you own a HP printer; we will no longer support the printer; because Microsoft still sells Windows to HP.

Once and for all: Chris does NOT work for E3B; nor for the Australian company selling USB cards. E3B does offer a registered Poseidon with their card because they have a normal agreement; unlike Elbox.
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline Andrea

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:28 PM »
@ Lemmink

Well there is a huge difference.
Chis simply decided no to sell it's product to certain customers.

I see no difference. Elbox simply threatens that if Hodges does not restore Poseidon stack registration for Spider, Elbox would decide not to sell (or give away) further versions of their drivers for certain customers (those who use the Poseidon stack with cards other than Spider USB).

Thats perfectly legal.

Maybe yes, maybe not. But for sure it is unfair for users and Elbox. Chris has not paid Elbox for writing Mediator USB drivers for his Poseidon stack. So Chris has some obligations towards Elbox. You can read about this here. It is also unfair for users because Chris stopped selling Poseidon without any warning.

It's his product and he can decide whom he sells it too, weather you like it or not.

So you must give the same right to Elbox, because their drivers are their products and they can decide whom they sell them (or give away), right?

Elbox on the other side says "We will render our hardware ( that you allready have paid us for !!) useless if you also use Chis software."

As I understand you can still use current drivers. You have not paid for future drivers, right?

Offline Andrea

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 11:02:03 PM »
@ Tahoe

Of course they CAN'T !

Maybe this will help:
Dell has a dispute with Microsoft; Microsoft no longer sells Windows to Dell. Now Dell in their turn says: if you own a HP printer; we will no longer support the printer; because Microsoft still sells Windows to HP.

Then Chris is a Microsoft here. What an appropriate simile... :-D

Once and for all: Chris does NOT work for E3B; nor for the Australian company selling USB cards. E3B does offer a registered Poseidon with their card because they have a normal agreement; unlike Elbox.

No-one says that Chris works for E3B or for the Australian company selling USB cards.

Chris made an agreement with E3B and Chris made an agreement with Elbox. The first agreement, as I understand, is that his Poseidon stack is selling with E3B cards, and the second agreement is that Chris sells Poseidon for Mediator users himself. I think, both agreements are normal, even though their conditions are different. If I remember correctly it was Chris' condition to sell Poseidon to Mediator users himself.

Offline lorddef

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2007, 12:11:51 AM »
Andrea, I guess you are affiliated with Elbox?

I read the whole email trail posted on planton42.de, and as long as that's all true (as I assume it is) it's clear Elbox tried to shaft Chris and paying Mediator uses.

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2007, 07:03:14 AM »

Chris has not paid Elbox for writing Mediator USB drivers for his Poseidon stack.

Sure and why the hell should he ??? It`s not like Elbox has done Cris any favor in writing the driver. They did it so they could sell hardware. Usually in this big big World it works the other way round. The manufacrurerer of hardware have to pay license fees to use an existing system and write a driver for it.

Have you seen Microsoft pay Invidia for making Direct X drivers for their cards ? Have you seen the CGX-Team pay DCE for making drivers for VooDoo G-Rex ?

It seams you have quite a twisted view of reality. Or you are (as I think by now) just a simple troll or in some way connected to Elbox. Or has Tjaoz forgoten his passwort :lol:
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net

Offline Jupp3

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »
If I remember correctly it was Chris' condition to sell Poseidon to Mediator users himself.

Well back then when Elbox was planning USB support, Chris Hodges probably thought (as everyone else, except Elbox) that it would work "normally", you know... Mediator owner walks into any computer shop, buys an USB card that has compatible chipset, plugs it into his Mediator, confirms that it works and THEN registers Poseidon. It's understandably impossible to "force" Poseidon purchase with every standard USB card that just happens to be sold for use with Amiga (no, it's for windows). And to force something like that in EVERY single computer shop in the world. See the problem? :-)

Also it would be totally unfair to force every Mediator user buy also Poseidon, whether or not they're interested in USB at all. That wouldn't make any sense, it would be like selling Samantha board only with OS4, no matter if the person buying it is interested in it or not :-D (I know they will happily sell "bare board" to anyone willing to buy one)

Anyway, considering this assumed scenario, there's no (fair) way to force every Mediator+USB owner buy registered Poseidon.

Of course Elbox did something totally different, but that's a different story.

Offline lorddef

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »

Well back then when Elbox was planning USB support, Chris Hodges probably thought (as everyone else, except Elbox) that it would work "normally", you know... Mediator owner walks into any computer shop, buys an USB card that has compatible chipset, plugs it into his Mediator, confirms that it works and THEN registers Poseidon.

Exactly. I purchaced my mediator on the premise that I could use it with bog standard PCI cards as long as there was a driver.

At the time I purchaced it there were voodoo3,sb128,realtek and bt848/878 drivers. And mpeg2 card + usb card drivers were "coming soon".

However Elbox decided they would lock their USB drivers down to only the USB card they were selling at an inflated price.

I would have paid elbox extra for a usb driver I could use with a well known USB card and a well known Amiga stack.

But pay for an over priced card, with a driver that would be useless on any other card with a different id, filled with malicious code and an illegal development licence for someone elses software. Elbox you be wrong.