Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 12925 times)

Description:

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801436
The buzz around Natami showed that what most Amiga users want is a continuation of the original Amiga idea, what most users would have liked future Amigas to look like - which is not necessarily what Commodore would have done.  I, and I think most 68K users, would have liked continually enhanced custom chipsets to keep the Amiga unique and better than the rest of the PC market.  AA/AAA/SuperAGA/whatever.

Catering to the tiny AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC market seems bizarre to me.

This might be the ideal.

I got an A1000 in 1985 and have had various Amigas over the years. Now I have an A2000 '020 (once an '060), an A1000, and a SAM440ep-Flex 733MHz. I had an A1200 '060 not too long ago but sold it.

I brought the SAM in to my D.C. office so I can use it more frequently than I would at home in the basement, and it's fun, but it's pretty slow and I'd like one but I can't see shelling out for an X1000 or X5000.

I sold my A2000's '060 accelerator and Picasso II because all souped up, I found the platform so limiting as to not actually do much with the apps on that high end Amiga. So now I use an '020 and have a near-ideal WHDLoad machine. I have OS 4.1FE on the SAM and am loading it with more and more apps. But...it's slowish and I am using it only for nostalgia, but it's a newish OS and it's not really nostalgia fodder.

My ideal nostalgia / next gen Amiga does not exist, really.

Like Haynie has said in an interview, a huge opportunity was missed in not using commodity X86 hardware. It is a shame that NG Amiga is tied to PowerPC. Yes, it make sit unique, but it limits the user base incredibly.

I want to get more out of both the SAM / 4.1 and the 68K Amigas w/ 3.1. But I can't seem to, not legitimately, and that's sad.

bp

http://www.bytecellar.com/photo_pano.html
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:34:52 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;801620
Sega didn't see 3D coming, they correct it with the Dreamcast but they choose PowerVR over 3DFX that EA wanted, so no EA games...
Kamelito

PowerVR's getting some pretty admirable use today.

bp

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;801663
You have to remember, CD32(and A1200, basically same systems) were selling like crazy on most important Amiga markets in Europe at the time - and with a further 100$ price cut would continue to sell even with next gen consoles coming.

PA-RISC, especially 2.0 version(64 bit, MAX-2 SIMD extensions, 32 bit options also had earlier MAX-1 SIMD in 7100LC and 7300LC CPUs ) was a helleuva CPU, compared even with fastest PPC, Pentium Pro, Alpha and MIPS CPUs - too bad it was not meant to be.

Was the PA-RISC to be the core CPU or to be a slave handling graphics. I read it as the latter, years ago -- but I may be mistaken.

I do know the 7100LC in my HP-9000 712/100 lets me run NeXTSTEP with performance that runs rings around my NeXTstation Turbo Color (33MHz '040). Some media on that, if quick and dirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVnKRT3jw0&feature=youtu.be

HP: https://vine.co/v/iaaY7H5Bij3

NeXTstation: https://vine.co/v/iaaVK7n0bbD

bp

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;801786
It was the core CPU of the console. They mentioned putting the console chipset on a card, where the PA-RISC would just be a coprocessor for graphics.

Huh?

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;801805
Faster and smoother on the HP, do you know what is the fastest computer able to run NextStep? Too bad OSX do not have an NextStep skin.
Kamelito

Definitely the fastest way to run NEXTSTEP is on Intel. You can run it on a VM in modern systems and it flies. I do this, but I prefer running on legacy hardware as it has more personality.