Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita  (Read 11142 times)

Description:

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
Re: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
That was a good read, thanks :)
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
"However, we have acquired a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual licence to use the Amiga One (and AmigaOne), AmigaOS and Boing Ball names and associated trademarks from Hyperion Entertainment."

Interesting.  I knew about AmigaOne license, did not know about the others.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:50:47 PM by dammy »
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;790640
Yes, you would, but many don't. I wouldn't, because NG doesn't provide me with what I want.

Many people in the Amiga community are only interested in Classic and new hardware for Classic. Underestimating this when creating new non-classic hardware can bite you in the butt.

For many it's nostalgia, and NG doesn't deliver this. For many others it's the original Amiga games, and NG doesn't offer any advantages for that. In both cases the original hardware and Uae give you the best experience. Then there are people like me who like the original hardware as a cool retro platform. NG doesn't do that either, which is fine, because it's not what it's for anyway.

When you want to produce new hardware that's not related to the original hardware at all, you really have to keep this is mind.

The nostalgia crowd is only one small group, I'm part of that group as it was my second computer. However there is a larger group that gets overlooked that does not take part in the Amiga community.

They are Amiga fans, still out there waiting for new hardware. These are the people that are being overlooked.

They don't even know amiga.org and other forums exist or even that there is new hardware being produced. Advertising just for the Amiga community is a mistake as it is just too small.

The Amiga community is also not the end all be all of Amiga users. Just a small group of people that post on forums.

Amiga.org would be by tradition classic users so if this forum thread was on another forum it would have different responses.

Also I would disagree about Amiga NG not offering that nostalgia feel, AmigaOS 4.1 feels like a natural progression from AmigaOS 3.9. RuninUAE also is seamless once setup so you can even run igame and WHDLoad by just a double click.

At the end of the day it feels like a powerful A1200/A4000 with RTG. So my Pegasos II proudly sits along side my A1200T. Giving me the best of both worlds.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »
For many it's nostalgia, and NG doesn't deliver this.

Really? How do you know, have you tried/tinkered with any NG system? :)
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;790656
They are Amiga fans, still out there waiting for new hardware. These are the people that are being overlooked.

They don't even know amiga.org and other forums exist or even that there is new hardware being produced. Advertising just for the Amiga community is a mistake as it is just too small.

This.  :hammer:

Went to that thing in NJ, talked to at least a half-dozen active Amiga owners, only one is a member here.  I laughed when a guy pulled out a video of Doommaster like it was "new news".  Hate to be all like "I know all about him!"  ;)

Even when I post on Facebook I almost always get comments from friends about "I should take my Amiga's out of the closet".  I've got friends on there who were active developers and hardware owners back in the day, who have never even heard of this forum.  If only there were some way to advertise to *them*.  Hummmm....  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »

...Many people in the Amiga community are only interested in Classic and new hardware for Classic...

And a sizable number of us aren't.
It would really have to be both low cost AND extremely capable for me to consider wasting anything on the further pursuit of a virtually dead system.
Nostalgic value be damned, I need practical utility to interest me.

While you speak for yourself, Thorham, do you really think you speak for the majority of the market?
Because if you do, the Amiga really is dead.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 08:58:57 AM »
Great interview!

Offline dammy

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;790664
While you speak for yourself, Thorham, do you really think you speak for the majority of the market?
Because if you do, the Amiga really is dead.

The market is dead, else there would be tens if not hundreds of thousand of users out there, and growing by the day to be considered a minimal market.   There will be no reigniting any old markets, that dye has been caste a very long time ago.  

A paradigm shift is an absolute must as a new market has to be created as quickly as possible.  That means it has to compete with the current successful OSs and thrive.  In order not only compete with those successful OSs and also thrive, it has to be modern, different, and uniting the Amiga base in short order.  It will take a person with alot of capital and connections to make that happen.
Dammy

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
Quote from: dammy;790680
The market is dead, else there would be tens if not hundreds of thousand of users out there, and growing by the day to be considered a minimal market.   There will be no reigniting any old markets, that dye has been caste a very long time ago.  

A paradigm shift is an absolute must as a new market has to be created as quickly as possible.  That means it has to compete with the current successful OSs and thrive.  In order not only compete with those successful OSs and also thrive, it has to be modern, different, and uniting the Amiga base in short order.  It will take a person with alot of capital and connections to make that happen.

Do you know such a person?

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
"...it has to be modern, different,..."

Well, if the aim is to change it just to be different there is not point. Besides, if it's changed to be much different from what it is now then it's not AmigaOS anymore, we can call it StrawberryOS or Elate or whatever...
I think you meant different from the mainstream though, that it already is.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline dammy

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
Quote from: Jose;790683
"...it has to be modern, different,..."

Well, if the aim is to change it just to be different there is not point. Besides, if it's changed to be much different from what it is now then it's not AmigaOS anymore, we can call it StrawberryOS or Elate or whatever...
I think you meant different from the mainstream though, that it already is.

Absolutely.
Dammy

Offline kamelito

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »

A lot of people are into retro gaming, but many games have a retro style and they're build in modern platform. So you get the same feeling as using a retro computer while having an experience beyond what a retro computer can give.

Kamelito

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
AROS has the best chance of attracting new users. Most people agree there will be no new users when your competition is a $100 ARM computer.

Some people like a PowerPC system and have invested a lot of money in it. Some have invested a lot of money in a 68k system. I wouldn't change if I had spent so much money on (68k/PowerPC) already.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »

is creating a new market an aim for itself? do we need to become addicted to some completely new independent product, as if it was not enough being addicted to amiga as is? what would be the purpose in all that, even assuming it had any chance to happen? i dont get it.

guest11527

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »

A shift towards what? AmigaOs as an "operating system" is as unfit for the future as an operating system can be. Most elementary services are missing and cannot be introduced without compromising backwards compatibility. So, whatever needs to be created is something very different from AmigaOs. Now, ask yourself, why do you want to do that? There are already plenty of alternatives on the market, depending on your needs. IOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Firefox-Os, ChromeOs...

Now, what is the market niche for "just another Os"?

The only anwer I can give is that AmigaOs targets at retro applications, and if you want anything different, get something different and do not attempt to "modernize" AmigaOs since that's not going to end anywhere. But that means that the Os must (mostly) stay as it is, with all it flaws, as bound to the hardware as it is.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 06, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
@wawrzon & Thomas Richter

A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!