Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6  (Read 12207 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 29, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
Quote from: TrevorDick;767854
Can anyone provide a brief update on the main improvements?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67595
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;767753
Thomas has a good work-a-round but not really an official update program as such, would be good to have something along those lines.
No more downloading ISO's just run the update program and it does the work.

I see where you are coming from but every update is really new release. It has to be updated in one go.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;767856
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67595

Thanks! :-)

TrevorD
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
So long as I can KEEP a physical copy from an on-line update, then I'm happy. :)

Quote from: Hans_;767838
Congrats to the MorphOS dev team.

This is slightly off-topic, but since Lurch was talking about updates done via AmiUpdate... I have AmiUpdate set to save the downloaded archives of all updates to disk. So, I can make my own physical backups if I want to. That more or less addresses the risks that you list.

Personally, I prefer having a combination of small "automatic" updates, and periodically having new ISOs with all of the small updates included. That's the "best of both worlds."

Hans
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
Congrats on another great release of MorphOS.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 11:34:28 AM »
utilize the built-in Wi-Fi hardware in all Apple systems that feature Broadcom's BCM43 chipset

Nice work folks.
Might try to get this working over the weekend if I have time.

Offline Alexco

• Show only replies by Alexco
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:26 PM »
Seems like a nice release, but still no sound on my Apple Digital Audio G4. And still no support for my USB C-Media audio device. Not useful for me…

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Alexco;768202
Seems like a nice release, but still no sound on my Apple Digital Audio G4. And still no support for my USB C-Media audio device. Not useful for me…

I'm baffled why you wouldn't just install a SoundBlaster Live.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »

As long as we are stuck with Trident, you'll never see a USB audio card work with MorphOS, Aros, Amithlon, Amiga OS, etc.

I know, it sucks!

But ya, get a freaking Sound Blaster dude! It's not like we've got a ton of proffesional audio apps that require a professional sound card. Heck no one ever wrote a PuhDerBear for MorphOS so we can't even use our classic non AHI audio apps for that matter...

...not that they'd require a high end sound card but still.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »

Rumours have it that MorphOS will get a class driver for isochronous transfers. This is the prerequisite for all those streaming devices (usb soundcards, speakers, webcams) to work.

But it's only rumoures...

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 04:23:25 AM »
This release has been the best so far with my Mac mini G4. No more of those bsdsocket errors. I have it hooked up to a nice 1900 x 1200 display and have finally got my fonts sorted out. The OWB browser is very nice also.

The hardware support still impresses. Is there any hope that Nvidia cards will get some love some day or is that simply out of the question?

I believe my PowerMac G5 A1117 model will be added to the hardware list at some point but that won't matter since I have an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX installed. It took a while to find one of these and I had to hack the ROM myself.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:27:21 AM by jdryyz »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
Quote from: jdryyz;768243
This release has been the best so far with my Mac mini G4. No more of those bsdsocket errors. I have it hooked up to a nice 1900 x 1200 display and have finally got my fonts sorted out. The OWB browser is very nice also.

The hardware support still impresses. Is there any hope that Nvidia cards will get some love some day or is that simply out of the question?

I believe my PowerMac G5 A1117 model will be added to the hardware list at some point but that won't matter since I have an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX installed. It took a while to find one of these and I had to hack the ROM myself.

My guess is that if that model is eventually supported that you are going to have to switch over to a Radeon X1900GT.
I doubt Nvidia cards will ever be supported.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Alexco

• Show only replies by Alexco
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;768216
I'm baffled why you wouldn't just install a SoundBlaster Live.

Why should I? The on-board sound is listed as supported, so it should work. But it does not. Seems that MorphOS team and I have different definitions of "supported". And despite the fact that this issue is reported quite often the only help is "buy a SoundBlaster". No other hints, tricks, debug support (fill in the rest), only this solution: "buy".

And by the way, I have a ATI 9800pro with a big fan blocking one PCI slot and all other slots are equipped with USB 2.0 and a SATA controller. So there is no place for a SB Live.
So why should I buy the card or even MorphOS (despite the fact that I really like my MOS 1.4.5 on my Amiga4000)?

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;768218
As long as we are stuck with Trident, you'll never see a USB audio card work with MorphOS, Aros, Amithlon, Amiga OS, etc.

WTF has the settings app for Poseidon do to with wether such devices work or won't ???

Poseidon itself can do those isochronous transfers needed, but AFAIK it's currently only supported in the Deneb's driver.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Iggy

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Quote from: Alexco;768255
Why should I? The on-board sound is listed as supported, so it should work. But it does not. Seems that MorphOS team and I have different definitions of "supported". And despite the fact that this issue is reported quite often the only help is "buy a SoundBlaster". No other hints, tricks, debug support (fill in the rest), only this solution: "buy".

And by the way, I have a ATI 9800pro with a big fan blocking one PCI slot and all other slots are equipped with USB 2.0 and a SATA controller. So there is no place for a SB Live.
So why should I buy the card or even MorphOS (despite the fact that I really like my MOS 1.4.5 on my Amiga4000)?

Your explanation makes sense.
If it is listed as supported, it should work.
SB Live cards ARE cheap, but you obviously can not fit one in (without changing your video card cooler).

Hopefully a developer will address your sound issue.
Try bringing it up on MorphZone.

Personally, I'd find a single slot video card, place a low height USB card next to the video card, and install a sound card.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Kookytech/Danwood made a very nice youtube presentation of the 3.6 features.

I must say MorphOS looks very nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlO0QjDelCM