Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A word about the content here at Amiga.org  (Read 145576 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595534
Very interesting thread this, seems back when Wayne was in charge attitudes as to what you could and couldn't say here were very different from what you can and can't say today... :)

Incorrect and a total misrepresentation of the situation both now and then.

The present moderation rules are actually the same as they were then and, FYI, Wayne was running the place for a long time after that was written. You can say more or less what you want, provided you don't get too personal and you don't use an excess of foul language.

What you have done here is to take a very old thread, 8 years in fact, totally and utterly ignore the context of what was going on in a period you've said you totally missed out and used it to comment on how things are now.

Let me put the post you have quoted in perspective for you. Back then, the community was just starting to tear itself in two and it was a bloody ugly time with a lot of bitterness. Long running fights would break out between different members and most forums, this one included became a bit of a battle ground in which a lot of rubbish, FUD and downright nasty stuff was said by various people on all sides.

However, as for moderation rules, they haven't changed. Just ask any of the existing long term mods.

@Tension

You have a tendency to use foul language which the moderation rules aim to keep in check. People complain, you get moderated for it then you complain about the moderation and carry on with yet more bad language. The solution to this issue can't be that difficult to see. Say what you have to say without using so much of it and things will be just fine.

Alternatively, if you feel that is such an infringement of your free speech and you want to write f*ck and c*nt every other post, set up your own forum and fill it with profanity to your heart's content. This aims to be a family-friendly forum.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:02:01 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595623
As for the community tearing itself apart just take a look at the Natami thread currently running now for example. There are sure signs in there of the same thing happening but I don't see you complaining about that one.

Trust me. The Natami stuff is utterly tame compared to what went on then. Of course, since a lot of posts and threads were deleted, you'll just have to take my word for it.

From a moderation perspective, nobody gives a crap if you want to comment on an 8-year old thread but posting on really old threads, especially contentious ones, is commonly frowned upon by users of forums across the web. It's even got it's own nickname. Check out "thread necromancery". Like old arguments, some things are just best left in the past.

You seem quite insistent to prove yourself right, but once again, the moderation rules haven't changed and the same people are moderators that were then too; in fact, I'm the only "new" moderator and I do next to nothing aside from act on the odd reported post (usually one of the other mods beats me to it) and approve news items. Long established sites like this one tend to be self-policing.

Perhaps it's because after the split, most of the really aggrieved members in each camp went off to form their own mutually exclusive forums that things here seem so much calmer now, but I find it hard to see how you can imply a change in how the site is run from a period you weren't even witness to. Whatever it is, it's not down to a change in moderation policy. At least none that I know of.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:30:04 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Franko;595628
I do take your word for it, but as someone interested in all things Amiga including the past history of sites such as this, I find it quite fascinating to read through these old posts and I was merely making an observation which I know you don't agree with, but I assure you I meant no harm by it nor did I expect the result to be this.

So the only thing I can do here is promise not to comment in this thread again if that will help... :)

I can only repeat the addition I made after you replied:
From a moderation perspective, nobody gives a crap if you want to comment on an 8-year old thread* but posting on really old threads, especially contentious ones, is commonly frowned upon by users of forums across the web. It's even got it's own nickname. Check out "thread necromancery". Like old arguments, some things are just best left in the past.

*As in it's not an issue, though it may lead to resurrecting old fights, then it becomes an issue.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:24:49 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
Roflmao!
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;595707
It might be because we are in Australia and the majority of mods here are in Brittania. For example Karlos, Bloodline and Franko. Bloody pommies...   :furious:

Eh?

I think there's myself and MikeyMike resident in the UK. The rest are in the across the pond, I thought :D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
Quote from: Marcb;595711
Nudge nudge, wink, wink say no more..

Into photography, is she? Ey? Photography?

Say no more!
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:28:25 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;595783
I'm sorry i fail to see your point   :confused:

Is it because you have a hollowed-out melon screwed onto your head? :lol: Could interfere with your vision...

*ducks*
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;595883
Oh come on people! Seriously a generation who don't know Monty Python's flying circus? I guess it is an ex-comedy show, gone to join the choir invisible...

You forgot "shrugged off it's mortal coils, ran down the curtain..."
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;595879
Then again, maybe I'm missing some massive cultural reference and am going to kick myself for posting this. :confused:

So anyone wan't to spoil the joke by explaining it?

What can I say, apart from:

Customer: Good Morning.

Wenslydale: Good morning, Sir. Welcome to the National Cheese Emporium!

Customer: Ah, thank you, my good man.

Wenslydale: What can I do for you, Sir?

Customer: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through "Rogue Herrys" by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish.

Wenslydale: Peckish, sir?

Customer: Esuriant.

Wenslydale: Eh?

Customer: 'Ee, Ah wor 'ungry-loike!

Wenslydale: Ah, hungry!

Customer: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!

Wenslydale: Come again?

Customer: I want to buy some cheese!

I know you know what I'm talking about, so I'll leave it there :python:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;595888
Maybe it's because I eat jam a lot and spam a lot in camelot. ;)

You eat spam? Dontcha know what it's made from? That's ok, neither does the manufacturer. Something Posing As Meat.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
Quote from: adz;595892
I've always been a firm believer that in order to survive round these parts, Monty Python knowledge is essential...That and knowledge of socks, you gotta know your socks...

Broccoli became quite significant too, after a while. Probably worth a spot of study.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
Quote from: adz;595896
This reminds me of the good old days :)

It's like you said, every year, the forum ents emerge from the edge of lurkers forest and make the org their own once again for a short time, before retreating back in to the woods until the weather is favourable once more.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »
Quote from: adz;595901
Yes, how could I forget...May as well throw in sprouts and a bit of History Today as well :D

Don't forget Aloe Vera. That meme infiltrated a few threads too.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;595902
Believe it or not, i'd not eaten spam until very recently... Introduced to it by my girlfriend, and while the texture is initially worrisome... The taste soon wins one over, and I now enjoy a tin as a low carb snack! Very nice :)

*shudder*

Even in the days when I would have had no qualms about the alleged content, I wouldn't have eaten it.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;595904
This would be a realistic conversation if i were to walk into a computer store and try to purchase an Amiga.

I say: I'd like to buy an Amiga!

Salesperson says: Come again?

Uh ho. That gives me an idea...
int p; // A