Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPC is bad bad bad  (Read 34744 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
Re: PPC is bad bad bad
« on: May 03, 2002, 04:15:15 PM »
i can bet you think: 68k is good good good :P

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 05:17:40 PM »
The problem with x86 is that it would take years to port the OS.... Also there would be NONE avaliable apps for it, since the old ppc applications dosent run on x86.... You think this would bring users?? A OS without apps?? i dont think so.... PPC is the only way if Amiga should have a chance to get back up.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 06:47:51 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

Tomas wrote:
i can bet you think: 68k is good good good :P

Yes I do think the 68k series is good, it just hasn't had new development in 10 years. If production of the 68k series continued, IMO it would be better than current X86. You trying to say the 68k series was always crap? :-?

I never said that...... but now its totally outdated, wouldnt make sence to use a 68k cpu on the next generation amiga, only thing that made sence was to use PPC, which they did.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 06:52:56 PM »

Insanity wrote:
If you want number-crunching-power x86 is the only option

And here I though that Intel just abandoned the x86 architecture with its Itanium(which of course is left looooooooooong behind, in the wake of the Sun ultrasparc III).

Anyway, didn't the Original Amiga have a processor for multitasking. (help me out here folkes I don't know much about the h/w layout of Amiga).

But if that is true, won't the AmigaOS lose lots of power if you port it to an x86 based system? The basic argument for using Amiga in the beginning of the 1990:ies was that the Multitasking of the Amiga was 1 000 000 times better than that of the PC(PC has made up for this lack by increasing the processor speed to rediculus levels).

Rambus is a good attempt to increase one of the lacking speeds in The PC system. the next lack is the bus speed.

Another thing, Why doesn't the AmigaOne utilize SCSI as a standard? why even bother using the $#@!ty IDE system (yes IDE is getting faster, but SCSI is Better and will aways be)
If everybody bought SCSI then it would be a lot cheaper since it contains the same components as IDE, but nooo. Damnit.
I say integrate a Adapted u160 card and lets RoX.

Oh and one last thing Hi my Name is Insanity and I had an amiga 500 back in the day. been using PC since, but the p4 and xp are $#@!ty processors/systems, so I'm stuck at 667mhz p3. (with a asus p3v4x, the best pc mobo EVER.)
i agree, Aone should have used SCSI instead of that lousy IDE crap, which also decrease the overall perfomance....  :-x

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2002, 07:04:18 PM »

68040 wrote:
Anyway, didn't the Original Amiga have a processor for multitasking. (help me out here folkes I don't know much about the h/w layout of Amiga).

Multitasking *IS NOT* done in hardware !! damn it !!!!!
Its all to do with the OSes scheduler , Thats the part of the os that controls which task gets cpu time and decides time slices etc .. . *ITS SOFTWARE*

It just happens that amigaOS is very good at multitasking , nothing to do with hardware.

I think it has a little to do with the cpus too..... But mostly its the OS thought.