Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 for Classics imminent  (Read 7920 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
AmigaOS 4.1 for Classics imminent
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:40:01 PM »
Brussels - May 7th, 2011.

Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is pleased to announce that all materials comprising the AmigaOS 4.1 distribution for Amiga 1200/3000/4000 equipped with the appropriate PowerPC based accelerator card (Cyberstorm PPC or BlizzardPPC) have now been completed.

AmigaOS 4.1 brings Amiga1200/3000/4000 the wealth of new functionality which was made available to other supported platforms in August of 2008 - up to and including - Update 2 released on April 30th, 2010.

Hyperion Entertainment invites you to experience the most advanced version of AmigaOS to date and join the ranks of SAM 440/460, AmigaOne and Pegasos II users!

AmigaOS 4.1 will be distributed world-wide by AmigaKit LLC and will be available from your local dealer very soon. AmigaKit was also instrumental in funding the AmigaOS 4.1 update for the Classics.

More...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 for Classics imminent
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
truly great news!!!:pint:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
Very nice.

15 years late, but, who's counting.... [install flame retardant suit]
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
Great news. :D

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Quote from: System;636308
Brussels - May 7th, 2011.

Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is pleased to announce that all materials comprising the AmigaOS 4.1 distribution for Amiga 1200/3000/4000 equipped with the appropriate PowerPC based accelerator card (Cyberstorm PPC or BlizzardPPC) have now been completed.

Could you clarify this time when you say "for Amiga 1200/3000/4000 equipped with the appropriate PowerPC based accelerator card" that this software is useless on such a machine without some form of RTG card as well... :)

Or is this unlike 4.0 (which I bought) and was not told that I would need an RTG card to make it usable along with my BlizzardPPC... :(

So is an RTG card required as well for 4.1 Classic or will it run at decent speed (unlike 4.0) on just an A1200 with a PPC card... thank you... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Looks very nice indeed from what I've seen of it in person.

3D driver for the BVision is a winner for those who have one, as MorphOS never had support for it before they stopped developing the Amiga port.

I wish they'd port the whole of OS4 to 68060 boards, but I know I'm just dreaming! :(
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636348
Could you clarify this time when you say "for Amiga 1200/3000/4000 equipped with the appropriate PowerPC based accelerator card" that this software is useless on such a machine without some form of RTG card as well... :)

Or is this unlike 4.0 (which I bought) and was not told that I would need an RTG card to make it usable along with my BlizzardPPC... :(

So is an RTG card required as well for 4.1 Classic or will it run at decent speed (unlike 4.0) on just an A1200 with a PPC card... thank you... :)

Franko, you've been told a bazillion times that OS4 doesn't automagically remove the performance limitations of the AGA chipset.

Run OS4 in the same screenmode and bitplane depth you run OS3.x and it will be fine.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
So, to run 4.1 I'd need to spend near a grand sourcing a PPC card and paying Hyperion? :(

Offline digiflip

• Show only replies by digiflip
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
nope you could buy a Natami and get Thoms Hirsch to Make you a powerpc cpu card for it
Neptuno, Ultimate MiSTer, vidor Replay, a500+ pistorming, a1200 stock, V4 SA

Offline HammerD

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636348

It will run on AGA, and in fact quite a bit of work was done on the Installation process to ensure ECS and AGA would work.

Having said that, the experience with ECS/AGA is nothing compared against the experience with any graphics card.  Therefore I would highly recommend a graphics card otherwise I think you would be disappointed.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline HammerD

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;636351
So, to run 4.1 I'd need to spend near a grand sourcing a PPC card and paying Hyperion? :(

Unfortunately no company has come to market with a new PPC accelerator for Classic Amigas.  If that were to happen I am sure efforts could be made to get AmigaOS 4.1 ported to it.

I personally think there is a market for a new PPC accelerator, but as I said, no company to date has offered one since DCE washed it's hands of all Amiga stuff.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Franko

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;636350
Franko, you've been told a bazillion times that OS4 doesn't automagically remove the performance limitations of the AGA chipset.

Run OS4 in the same screenmode and bitplane depth you run OS3.x and it will be fine.

Yeah by folks like Karlos, but when I purchased OS 4.0 there was no mention in the advertising or even on the box that I would need an RTG card as well to make it useable... :(

It's simply stated like the first post here an A1200 with PCC card is all that's needed... ;)

How many time do I have to say it, I do run it in standard video modes and no matter what it still runs slower than a one legged tortoise, surely thats not too difficult to understand for the umpteenth time... :rolleyes:

Offline Franko

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;636360
It will run on AGA, and in fact quite a bit of work was done on the Installation process to ensure ECS and AGA would work.

Having said that, the experience with ECS/AGA is nothing compared against the experience with any graphics card.  Therefore I would highly recommend a graphics card otherwise I think you would be disappointed.

Thank you that's all I wanted to know, after my experience with OS4.0 and despite what Karlos & Nicholas claim without an RTG board of some kind OS4.0 was just unusable... :)

So at least now I know OS4.1 is not for me, I only asked because once again it's only being claimed you just need a PPC card and no mention of needing a GFX card, thank you for clearing that up for me... :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
I'm banking on a Natami with a PPC card. Knowing that Natami is on the horizon, I'm kinda of not wanting to upgrade either of my Amigas any (much) more and just start saving for that. If it had a PPC expansion, I'd be in 7th heaven me thinks.

Of course they could just learn from the MorphOS team, get their heads out of their asses, and port OS 4.1 to old PPC macs so everyone can afford to join in on the fun...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636371
Thank you that's all I wanted to know, after my experience with OS4.0 and despite what Karlos & Nicholas claim without an RTG board of some kind OS4.0 was just unusable... :)

So at least now I know OS4.1 is not for me, I only asked because once again it's only being claimed you just need a PPC card and no mention of needing a GFX card, thank you for clearing that up for me... :)

It's been years since I ran the beta but it was fine in eight colours, no worse than 3.x on the same machine  performance wise.