Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 for Classics imminent  (Read 7961 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 for Classics imminent
« on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Looks very nice indeed from what I've seen of it in person.

3D driver for the BVision is a winner for those who have one, as MorphOS never had support for it before they stopped developing the Amiga port.

I wish they'd port the whole of OS4 to 68060 boards, but I know I'm just dreaming! :(
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636348
Could you clarify this time when you say "for Amiga 1200/3000/4000 equipped with the appropriate PowerPC based accelerator card" that this software is useless on such a machine without some form of RTG card as well... :)

Or is this unlike 4.0 (which I bought) and was not told that I would need an RTG card to make it usable along with my BlizzardPPC... :(

So is an RTG card required as well for 4.1 Classic or will it run at decent speed (unlike 4.0) on just an A1200 with a PPC card... thank you... :)

Franko, you've been told a bazillion times that OS4 doesn't automagically remove the performance limitations of the AGA chipset.

Run OS4 in the same screenmode and bitplane depth you run OS3.x and it will be fine.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636371
Thank you that's all I wanted to know, after my experience with OS4.0 and despite what Karlos & Nicholas claim without an RTG board of some kind OS4.0 was just unusable... :)

So at least now I know OS4.1 is not for me, I only asked because once again it's only being claimed you just need a PPC card and no mention of needing a GFX card, thank you for clearing that up for me... :)

It's been years since I ran the beta but it was fine in eight colours, no worse than 3.x on the same machine  performance wise.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;636393
I'm banking on a Natami with a PPC card. Knowing that Natami is on the horizon, I'm kinda of not wanting to upgrade either of my Amigas any (much) more and just start saving for that. If it had a PPC expansion, I'd be in 7th heaven me thinks.

Of course they could just learn from the MorphOS team, get their heads out of their asses, and port OS 4.1 to old PPC macs so everyone can afford to join in on the fun...

+1 to that!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
Quote from: Franko;636555
I laugh at how you always like to say "end of story" as if your word is the be all and end all of any given subject, time you got your head out of your rear end and realised your not the only one around here who knows about the Amigas capabilities... :)

I think you might want to take a look at the credits on OS4.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;636567
Erm, I'm pretty sure I'm not listed anywhere in there, but I was a tester back in the early days of 4.0 classic.

I can neither confirm nor deny rumours that I have 4.1 classic running right now :lol:

Modest to the end! ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;636714
Yes, sorry that was missed on the press release.  There is support for the silicon image 3512, 3112, and 3114 controllers and also the 0680 IDE controller (firestorm only).  

In the hardware FAQ that comes with AmigaOS 4.1 Classic it will tell you all the details.  There is also a handy file system reference chart to help you select the best file system to use, too.

I bet 68k PFS5.3 will be the best on OS4.1 compared to any of the other filesystems.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;636735
"imminent"? So, it's not out yet?

Come on, this is friggin ridiculous. Just another pre-announcement.

I might buy it and I don't even have a BPPC anymore.