Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?  (Read 17127 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 01, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;790272
Sorry, I can not really remember the situation. The Workbench icons do not seem to be aligned, I guess after booting or rebooting. Maybe I just can not remember this very well. It may have been fixed since then. Maybe I am still asleep. :)

You say you want them "aligned", or to stay in one place?  This is two different things.  Also older versions of Workbench lacked some of the features of newer.  Try MagicMenu, I think it adds even more options.  But you can definitely do align,  you can even change to something like "show all files" "view by name" (instead of by icon) and snapshot the directory to always display that way.  Only hard one is getting the AppIcons to stay in place, because those need to be snapshotted in their original drawer, not in their position on the Workbench.  Fun stuff!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:46 AM »
I do find it rather funny, I almost always forget to snapshot things, but it is kind of one of those crappy, yet awesome features that I haven't seen in any other OS.  Most of them just allow list, icon view, sort alphabetical, ascending, descending, sort by date, etc.  But I don't know a single one that just lets you sort them however you damn well please.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:19 AM »
I think when it boots they are not aligned.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;790401
I do find it rather funny, I almost always forget to snapshot things, but it is kind of one of those crappy, yet awesome features that I haven't seen in any other OS.  Most of them just allow list, icon view, sort alphabetical, ascending, descending, sort by date, etc.  But I don't know a single one that just lets you sort them however you damn well please.

Tell me about it, man.  I'm in the process of replacing all my standard 3.9 GlowIcons with Ken's Icons right now.  Looks beautiful, but after six hours of hunting through archives to find "just the right one", copying it over the old one, then "clean up by name", "resize to fit", "snapshot", I think I'm about done!  ;)  Thank god at least 3.9 supports drag & drop replacement of icons, back in the day I'd have been up all night doing this!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;790402
I think when it boots they are not aligned.

Gonna need more information than that!  :lol:

- What version of Workbench?
- What version of Kickstart?
- Which icons, specifically, are you referring to?  The main Workbench screen, icons inside a drawer, or somewhere else?
- See the last screenshot in my above post - do you know where those options are?  "Window", "Clean up by...", "Snapshot Window", "Snapshot All", etc.
- Are you selecting the icons you want snapshotted when you click on "Snapshot"?  Alternatively, if you want an entire drawer of icons snapshotted you should have the parent drawer itself selected
- Are you running MagicMenus?  If so, what version?
- Are you running any other hacks or patches or tools that could be interfering with placement of icons?
- Can you post a screenshot?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:02:06 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »

Offline trekiej

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:38 AM »
I think os3.1 on the workbench. At times the drawers are a mess. I do believe Aros may have the same problem.
It will clean and snapshot. I seem to have to repeat it. I feel like it has been this way since the 90's
plain jane workbench
Unless I am confused with os2.x

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;790422
I think os3.1 on the workbench. At times the drawers are a mess. I do believe Aros may have the same problem.
It will clean and snapshot. I seem to have to repeat it. I feel like it has been this way since the 90's
plain jane workbench
Unless I am confused with os2.x

I can't speak for AROS, but you you might want to try again under AmigaOS.  It's worked just fine for me (and most other users) since 1985.  ;)

I would recommend when you're ready to start troubleshooting this, post a screenshot.  I suspect you're not clicking on the right thing.  For example if you're telling it to snapshot a window but you don't have any window selected.  There are a couple different options and they can be confusing.  Am sure it's something simple though.  :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 06:55:30 AM »
Bring back P.O.S.! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kamelitoTopic starter

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;790424
Bring back P.O.S.! ;)

The thing I remember about pOS is a breakout game that I've seen in an Amiga faire.
But it could be a good idea depending on the specs.
Since ProDAD still exist we can maybe contact them and do a bounty a bit like for DOpus. (http://www.prodad.com/)
Kamelito
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:07:13 PM by kamelito »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;790271
I've never used OS4, but if this was OS3 or 2 even, then what you're describing is files with no icon image (no associated .info file). Files with no icons cannot be snapshotted as they don't have a real icon in which to save its position. In this case the Workbench uses the default icons depending on the file's type (tool, project, drawer or even disk).

Quoting myself here, but it really does sound like you have drawers and files with no .icon file. Files or drawers without icons will never snapshot. In the window/icons menu untick 'Show All Files' and those files and drawers without icon files will disappear.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
@ _Mike
I do not have a working amiga right now.
The A1000 I have is still in pieces.
I need to finish painting it.
On a side note, is it possible to hook an Amiga 1000 genlock to other Amiga's with a cable?